A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 11801

Pink Paisley

And a suprnova is (usually, thank goodness) rather further away.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 11802

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Threads that i find interesting not restarting smiley - biggrin

Erm, my dad's psychological modelling - correcting me from "should of" to "should have" to such an extent that i automatically correct other people, than retract my comment - it doesn't annoy me as a mistake so i get annoyed that i correct people without thinking

Petty Hates

Post 11803

Rod

Maybe Should uv would've suited better?

Petty Hates

Post 11804

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

Mitt sodding Romney and his sodding merry band of b******s. Everything to do with the US elections.

Pages (Apple's version of Word cos you can't get a decent MS Word app) not having the capability to export to Dropbox, as well as iCloud (I think Apple wanted to kill off Dropbox at one point but I don't think it's worked). On this note, cheap and not so cheap writing apps that don't work. Grrr. I'm sticking with iA writer and Pages, ta.

Petty Hates

Post 11805

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

I don't mind Romney, it's pretty much every other Republican politician i hate - though that's not that petty - to be honest it's quite a big hate and i have large reasons not to like them

Petty Hates

Post 11806

quotes

I'd like to know the truth behind the "Seamus" incident. Was it reasonable of Romney to put his dog on top of the car in a "windshield-equipped carrier?" Or cruel?

Petty Hates

Post 11807

Deb

smiley - yikes

I had to go look up that story. Good grief. His dog isn't a surf board or some extra luggage! That poor dog must've* been terrified!

Deb smiley - cheerup

* that's must have, not must of, or course smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 11808

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

That was just mean deb

Petty Hates

Post 11809

Rudest Elf

"Was it reasonable of Romney to put his dog on top of the car in a "windshield-equipped carrier?" Or cruel?"

Not necessarily cruel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQzUsTFqtW0

smiley - reindeer

Petty Hates

Post 11810

Deb

That's what the smiley face was for, to indicate no meanness but a tongue in cheek comment. Perhaps I should have used the smiley - tongueincheek smiley instead. My bad.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Petty Hates

Post 11811

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Sorry, i got your meaning - i meant to attach a bit more to mine, must have got distracted

de nada

smiley - hugsmiley - laugh

Petty Hates

Post 11812

The American policitians think they are all THE NEXT BEST THING. I know that perhaps they have the power to screw up the globe a bit more but I don't like how the elections were being given a touch more precedence than Isaac and what it’s doing in the news in the early hours of this morning. But that’s just me.

Quotes, what? There is no way he did that. oh, dear Lord.

PH: spending around 30 or 40 quid on books to read for my thesis...

Petty Hates

Post 11813

quotes

>>There is no way he did that. oh, dear Lord.

It certainly does seem bad, especially since it sounds like the dog literally wet itself with fear, but I've never seen a picture of the pet-carrier, so it's difficult to be sure.

Petty Hates

Post 11814

Cheerful Dragon

"PH: spending around 30 or 40 quid on books to read for my thesis."

Anna, I can relate to that. There's an Open University course I'm interested in that has a total of 12 (yes, that does say twelve) set books and a required DVD. There are certain books where you have to make a choice (Northern Lights or Harry Potter 1, Coram Boy or Mortal Engines) but the rest can be bought as a set from a preferred supplier. The recommended price for the books+DVD is £93, the supplier does the set for £60 and the supplier is sometimes cheaper than Amazon. Some of the books are available as ebooks and I could get the 'classics' free. However, ebooks don't have page numbers, so I couldn't use them when required to give reference information. I may forget about that course, much as it interests me. I can't afford to shell out that much money for books that I otherwise would have no interest in.

Based on past experience, what I might do (if I go ahead with that course) is find out which books are needed for assignments and just buy those as 'tree books'. The others I'd get as ebooks, if available. That way they wouldn't take up shelf space.

Petty Hates

Post 11815

Pink Paisley

Two PHs.

1. Forgetting whether I've mentioned a PH before.

2. All those bits of advertising junk that fall out of newspapers. (I may have mentioned this before).

3. Losing count.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 11816

Quotes, normal pet carriers just have the “door” at the front and the slits down the sides for air, so I would assume it was this sort of thing. That's awful.

CD, some e books do have page numbers, but if the one I’m using doesn’t, I try and find the book on Amazon and hope the Look Inside will help/ if not, I just cite the location on my Kindle and to hell with it then, because as long as we cite something, we’re fine, it doesn’t matter what format it is. Moreover, depending on what the books are you could find the text as a PDF or something on the internet and use that. Maybe this is showing my age, but I would do that if I were stuck.

If you send me a list of the books you’re getting, perhaps I could help?

I'm currently writing an article for a paper which includes song lyrics (they are not mine), so I'm citing them as I would in an academic paper and telling the newspaper to make sure to keep them in with the citation, cos if they don't cite who the lyrics belong to, that’ll look badly on me.

Oh, the ad junk. The Mail on Sunday is full of it today.

Petty Hates

Post 11817

Cheerful Dragon

Anna, thanks for your offer of help, but I'm not sure how the OU feels about ebooks being used for references, as it's only recently that it's become possible to get any of the set books in that format. I'll have to ask my course tutor, once my current course (U214) starts. Fortunately there aren't any set books for this course, just some 'recommended reading'. The following is taken from the OU's EA300 Children's Literature course description:

Set books

Ransome, A Swallows and Amazons, Red Fox £7.99 - ISBN 9780099427339
Alcott, L M Little Women, Oxford World's Classics £7.99 - ISBN 9780199538119 ((This edition includes Good Wives))
Browne, A Voices in the Park, Corgi £5.99 - ISBN 9780552545648
Burgess, M Junk, Puffin/Penguin £7.99 - ISBN 9780140380194
Gavin, J **Coram Boy, Egmont £7.99 - ISBN 9781405212823
McGough, R (ed) 100 Best Poems for Children, Puffin £10.99 - ISBN 9780141310589
Naidoo, B The Other Side of Truth, Puffin £6.99 - ISBN 9780141304762
Pearce, P Tom's Midnight Garden, Oxford University Press £6.99 - ISBN 9780192792426
Pullman, P *Northern Lights, Scholastic £6.99 - ISBN 9781407130224
Reeve, P **Mortal Engines, Scholastic £6.99 - ISBN 9781407110912
Rowling, J K *Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Bloomsbury £6.99 - ISBN 9780747558194
Stevenson, R L Treasure Island, Oxford World's Classics £5.99 - ISBN 9780199560356
Taylor, M Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry, Puffin £7.99 - ISBN 9780141333342
Potter, B The Tale of Peter Rabbit, Frederick Warne Publishers £5.99 - ISBN 9780723247708

Other materials

Peter Pan DVD (2003, Jason Isaacs, Lynn Redgrave, Jeremy Sumpter), £19.99 (This DVD is available from high street retailers or internet retailers by searching on www.find-dvd.co.uk.)

*Students only need to buy one of these books depending on personal preference. **Students only need to buy one of these books depending on personal preference.

Some books, such as Little Women, are available free as ebooks, as they are out of copyright. I already have a copy of Northern Lights. Most of the others I wouldn't even glance at if it wasn't for this course. I may end up doing something completely different for level 3. Time will tell.

Petty Hates

Post 11818

Sho - employed again!

cool book list! Love the Swallows and Amazons series, and the McGough poems is one I got last year second hand. totally fab.

Petty Hates

Post 11819

fords - number 1 all over heaven

My current PH is the incompetence of the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). I've just come off the phone where I was speaking to a girl who sounded like she was on work experience and was as useful as a chocolate teapot. smiley - steam

Petty Hates

Post 11820

You can call me TC

I've got a dishwasher one we haven't had before. Why oh why are the prongs arranged in a dishwasher to take about 2 dozen saucers - and that's only the top tray. At work and at home the dishwasher is mainly filled with mugs and glasses which you have to balance and squeeze and prop up in those strange rows of different sized prongs. On a normal day when the kids aren't home, we will have a couple of saucepans, two dinner plates, a couple of cereal bowls and umpteen cups and glasses. At least 2 nights a week I do a dinner that doesn't even require a dinner plate - a one-pot something or other in soup plates.

I bet someone selling alternative dishwasher baskets that correspond to the crockery that a real household uses would do a roaring trade.

Key: Complain about this post