A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 11761

You can call me TC

I have a really petty hate. When I'm folding tea towels, I find it annoying that they come in so many different sizes. I have a lovely selection of tea towels bought from holiday resorts and places we've visited all over the world, but each country seems to have different standard sizes!

Petty Hates

Post 11762

quotes

Similarly, I'm always annoyed by those elasticated bedsheets, which are impossible to fold flat.

Petty Hates

Post 11763

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

RE hotel soap and all that. Family tradition to take everything when travelling so we use 'em again.

Soap easier to use than shower gel, I think.

PH: Sundays. Ugh.

Petty Hates

Post 11764

Beatrice

Ph- when people Mae me tea. But pour the water up near the top of the mug so there no room for milk

Petty Hates

Post 11765

KB

On a related note, when you order coffee without milk, and they take that as a cue to fill it to the brim with water instead - thus diluting it so much it tastes of nothing!

Petty Hates

Post 11766

Rod

PH: fat pillows, slim pillowcases.

Petty Hates

Post 11767

Rod

Ah, coffee. Very nearly, almost, virtually all caffs have espresso machines.
My local makes a Rod Special: large (paper) cup, double-skinned, extra shot, Long Black.
They now make a Ms Stress Special: regular size, double-skinned, extra shot, Flat White-with-trim.

At home it's a plunger and I pride myself on challenging most caffs - different but as good.

Instant 'coffee' is, now, something to be endured.

Petty Hates

Post 11768

fords - number 1 all over heaven

We have a coffee machine which is pressed into regular use, but I can't fault the Co-Op's own brand instant coffee for when we cba putting a whole pot on smiley - smiley

Current PH? My stupid back being stupid and sore, with the only relief from its stupidity being knockout drugs. They might be great muscle relaxants, but they're also far too good at keeping me asleep for extended periods of time, especially when I have things to do smiley - cross

Petty Hates

Post 11769

Pink Paisley

What language is this please?

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 11770

Beatrice

Sounds like Strine to me.

Petty Hates

Post 11771

Lusus

Its the gibberish of someone on a caffeine high smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 11772

Rod

Come on, now...

Long Black: espresso coffee of (an approximately, if you're lucky) standard strength. No additives.

Flat white: made with steamed milk.
With Trim: low fat milk.

Extra shot: another measure of coffee, to compensate for all that water, ie make up to a decent strength.

Poured into a cardboard cup for takeaways, 3 sizes (Rod special in a large. Ms Stress special in a small or regular)

Double-skinned: slip the cup into another cup for extra insulation. Two reasons. Easier on the fingers, keeps warm while I hot-foot it back to the shed. Or kitchen.

- -

One peaked measure per person.
Carefully estimated measure of water, according to the printing on the (outside of) the plunger jar.
Ms Stress's in one of her made-by-a-friend mugs. A small measure of milk (any sort). No sugar.
Mine in my Barter Books mug. No additives, ie 'coffee no-no'.

- -

D'ye know, I find it hard to believe that there are so many of ye that simply don't know these universal truths.

Enjoy.

Petty Hates

Post 11773

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

Oh, Bea, my mother likes her coffee like that... I hate it. I love my coffee and tea but can only drink it with three huge spoonfuls of sugar. Sweetener doesn't work.

PH: Translink. Need my netbook. They are SLOW to tell me what's going on. Grrr. And my thesis research. I'm scared of it.

Petty Hates

Post 11774

KB

Funny thing about Translink is the tell you infinitely more
via Twitter than they do via announcements at the station when you're actually standing waiting for the service that's been cancelled or delayed. They work in mysterious ways. smiley - ghost

Petty Hates

Post 11775

quotes

PH: In some places, when you order hot chocolate, it tastes like it's been thickened with cornflour or something. It's very un-refreshing.

Petty Hates

Post 11776

KB

PH: The stupid way they are making jeans now. I know my waist size and leg size, so I should be able to lift a pair of the shelf and buy them. A couple of years ago I could. But now, even when they fit, the loops are too tight to put a belt through. And the pockets are too tight to put anything in or out of without cutting off the circulation in my wrists...

Petty Hates

Post 11777

Pink Paisley

Jazz FM (which by the way is NOT on FM any more - just DAB and interwebs). And more specifically The Late Lounge. I go to bed and put on the radio and before I know it I'm on ebay looking for a CD by someone that I hadn't heard of before.

Tonight it's Smoke Fairies and another fiver. Damn Late Lounge.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 11778

Beatrice

Why do weather forecasters spend so much time telling me what it's going to be like tomorrow - I'd rather know what it's going to do today thanks!

Petty Hates

Post 11779

KB

For that matter, why do they waste the first five minutes telling us what the weather *has been* like? I know that already...

Petty Hates

Post 11780

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

For that matter, why use weather forcasters at all? Just look outside.

smiley - pirate

Key: Complain about this post