A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 10281

Sho - employed again!

I'm interested that you say that, TC, given that it was you who started the conversation without any words smiley - hug

PHotD: mollycoddling. smiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 10282

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

Deb, Mala: I think I might get the Inspiron cos it is cheaper... I'm getting it through someone else and they have a budget, sadly. Mr D: *hugs* You might never get over it and that’s OK. I'm not, I still carry everything it gave, and mourn what it took away. It’s alright to be upset at this group and what they claim to do- or don't do.

Sho: mollycoddling when you’re 22!

Not so much a PH but when a good drink knocks you flat out for hours and you wake at 4pm. I’m talking a can of Kopparberg here, which is not much. Then being yelled at for sleeping late. I wouldn’t have heard the damn alarm anyway!

Petty Hates

Post 10283

You can call me TC

Touché, Sho!

Actually, that was an exercise for myself to see if I could train myself to look at smileys and not just ignore them. To see if smileys could serve as a form of communication. It worked for a while, but didn't convince me, really, and, again, it wasn't of consequence.

Petty Hates

Post 10284

Pastey

I tend to only use smiles to graphically express my meaning.

And I have to admit, I prefer the term emoticon for them. That's kinda how I see them too, a graphical way of letting those you're chatting with "see" your facial expression.

Petty Hates

Post 10285

Icy North

...and my face looks like the back of a smiley - bus

Petty Hates

Post 10286

Betcha we wouldn't think that! PH: time. I never have enough, dammit.

Petty Hates

Post 10287

Sho - employed again!

it wasn't a criticism, TC, it just never dawned on me that you didn't see the emoticons as part of the conversation
smiley - hug

Petty Hates

Post 10288

Pastey

I find the way different people use emoticons interesting. I use them as an iconical representation of facial expression/body language, others use them in place of existing words. I do wonder what it will be like in another ten years time, will we have graphical representations for even more words?

PH: thinking too much about trivia.

Petty Hates

Post 10289

KB

Absolutely, we will - have you *seen* the clamouring people do to get smilies made of their favourite words? smiley - bigeyes

It can get incredibly childlish and petulant, and taken way too seriously. (And that's also a PH of mine, by the way...)

Petty Hates

Post 10290

I WANT MY INSPIRON AND IT'S NOT THERE AND I WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! *stamps foot*

PH: wanting things that you can't seem to get. I am leaving soon, I neeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddd it.

Petty Hates

Post 10291

KB

smiley - zen Relax, Anna. It'll come soon enough, and you'll be telling us all about how much you hate all its little annoying quirks. smiley - winkeyesmiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 10292

Taff Agent of kaos

PHotD

work looking for staff to do temporary duty in NI, but not in my gradesmiley - grr

smiley - bat

Petty Hates

Post 10293

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Wasps.

Petty Hates

Post 10294

I'm getting it through someone else, KB, and it’s not on their website and I WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNTTTTTTTTT IT NOW DAMMIT! The reviews have been good mind you, apart from the odd keyboard apparently. I don't care, it’s got nice switchable lids so I want it. I hope it can be got!

Petty Hates

Post 10295

Sho - employed again!

long text making the screen too wide

Petty Hates

Post 10296

Red or Black. Honestly ITV, you cannot be that desper- hang on, maybe you can.

Petty Hates

Post 10297

Sho - employed again!

the fact that I'm busy today but it's sunny so I need to add cutting the grass to my ever growing list of Things To Do. smiley - cross

Petty Hates

Post 10298

Todaymueller

People who turn the radio down instead of off. I have lost count of the number of times I have gone to switch a radio on, only to find it has been on all the time; probably for days at a time. smiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 10299

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Astrology. Especially when people use their astrological sign as a means of explaining their personality quirks.

Petty Hates

Post 10300

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Brass signs with horrible greened stone around it.smiley - yuk You see it everywhere- the brass gets polished with brass polish and the cloth wipes the stone around it. It looks really really awful, and it's an irrational petty hate of mine.

Is it really necessary to cake polish over brass anyway- would soapy water not achieve the same thing? When I worked in electrical retail I used to really hate the idiots who would insist on using polish on all the shiny plastic; it just scratches it severely smiley - erm.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more