A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 9561

airscotia-back by popular demand

PH: Radio 5 Live interrupting the Ireland v England 6 Nations rugby game at a potential try scoring moment to give me a report on a football match.
Now I KNOW the roundball game is the most popular, but I'd guess most people listening to the show were there to listen to live rugby, not to be told Everton had just kicked the shuttlecock clean over the pin (or whatever they do).

Petty Hates

Post 9562

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

...and probably the wumbly didn´t shout "me tia is inferma" whilst froddering the wrederick, so they´ll frumple the manager. Or something.

Petty Hates

Post 9563

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

Airscotia, why are you even listening to Radio Fella in the first place?

PH: I'm 22. Let me alone to go wherever I want. I know if I tell you you’ll either: a) think I'm cracked or b) mock me. I am not telling you. Don't do that crap of stalling and stalling and stalling, hoping I will give up and not go. This is really important to me. I’ll go, but you did ask me not to book a flight without letting you know first. STOP THE STALLING BALLS, ALL RIGHT? It makes me angry, and three times more determined. Also, you haven't paid me back that money you owe me for those Apocalyptica tickets I bought (and the gigs I subsequently didn't get to go to cos of this stalling crap)!

What makes it worse is that you won’t listen when I try and explain why I want the cash back cos you’re like, “Oh, I get things for you, I don't ask you to pay me back!” This. IS. VERY. DIFFERENT. I’ll pull a Geldof at Live Aid ’85 soon...

Petty Hates

Post 9564

Pink Paisley

Backwards signwriting on vand and (to a lesser extent, lorrys)

Pointless.

So I am driving along a road and notice that behind me is a white van with Freds Fresh Fish written on the front. I can read this because it is written backwards and I am looking at it in my mirror.

Freds Fresh Fish van follows me along for a mile. During the 2 minutes that I have had Freds Fresh Fish van following me, 30 cars have passed in the opposite direction unable to read it because it is all backwards to them.

(This IS the right thread for a petty hate isn't it?)

PP

Petty Hates

Post 9565

toybox

Ah, I've had a similar PH for ages, and always forgot about it before recording it here (which is another PH).

When I read something in a mirror, I automatically swap it around in my head so as to be able to read it properly. Which means that I find the backwards words in mirrors harder to read, even though they are written 'normally', and I have a half-second flash of puzzlement in my mind, where my brain has to unperform the flip (or understand who's following me with other signs - blue car = police, red car = fire brigade, white van with fancy lettering = don't care).

All in all I'm not sure to what extent it is a good idea to puzzle and confuse the driver in front.

And a third PH: green letters on an orange-reddish background? Who ever thought that this was a good idea? smiley - erm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ervanofoto/5053764779/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Petty Hates

Post 9566

KB

I don't see the need to read writing on a car behind me, anyway. If the idea is that you can clear a path for the emergency services, isn't that what the smiley - bluelight and sirens are for?

Petty Hates

Post 9567

smiley - grr and they don´t only look as ugly as that. Instead of their old "get out of my way" horns they now have something eeklegtonic that sounds like a computer game.

Petty Hates

Post 9568

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

PH: Bloody eejit energy saving people treating me like an idiot because I'm fine with the company we're with. No, I'm aware that I won't know how good your deal is until you tell me what it is, but I don't want you to tell me what it is. We are intelligent enough to look for alternatives ourselves should we feel the need to.

Also, telling me how young I look doesn't cut it because I'm neither female or gay and even if I was I would want better than some door-to-door salesman who isn't going to see 50 again any time soon.

Petty Hates

Post 9569

toybox

You may not hear the sirens for some reason, and in the day the smiley - bluelight don't show much.

Petty Hates

Post 9570

KB

I can't help thinking that if you fail to spot the lights and the siren, the writing on the front probably won't do much to help...

Petty Hates

Post 9571

KB, that´s another of the "PC" nonsense. Silent sirens and less bright smiley - bluelight are less intrusive.

Petty Hates

Post 9572

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Pit, are you a Daily Mail reader by any chance? smiley - tongueout

Petty Hates

Post 9573

There isn´t a paper worth reading nowadays. I rely on hootoo friends for info.

Petty Hates

Post 9574

KB

smiley - laugh Wipe the foam away from your mouth and try again, Pit - *what* is PC nonsense? smiley - huh

Petty Hates

Post 9575

PC - "Politically Correct"

Petty Hates

Post 9576

And it isn´t foam, just toothpaste.

Petty Hates

Post 9577

toybox

>>I can't help thinking that if you fail to spot the lights and the siren, the writing on the front probably won't do much to help...<<

smiley - nahnah

The exact writing no, but a white car with blue writing would certainly identify the vehicle as police, or unfortunate choice of clashing colours as medical emergency. Now, whether they write POLICE or ECILOP or BUGS BUNNY on them wouldn't matter much, probably.

Petty Hates

Post 9578

You can call me TC

As ever, I know exactly what you mean, Toybox. I hate red writing on blue or green backgrounds - it seems to jump up and down and is very difficult to read.

And I have to do the double-flip on mirror-writing seen in a mirror, or transparent stickers on the back window, too.

And something that is annoying me today is the tap on our bath. It wouldn't close down completely after running a bath yesterday and we've collected several buckets full since. But a dripping tap. Classic water torture.

Petty Hates

Post 9579

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

Coleraine. Kip.

Petty Hates

Post 9580

toybox

smiley - raisedeyebrow

Key: Complain about this post