A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 5701

gandalfstwin OGGMSTKMBGSUIKWIATA

HI, PP

The ones I REALLY hate are those who KNOW that you are watching them, but leave the 'DoggieDooz' where it is, and just walk off!

'g'

Petty Hates

Post 5702

kipperonthefloor - Make sense? What fun is there in Making sense?

i hate the adverts at the movies, im in my seat, im not going to get up and buy somthing in the middle of my film

Petty Hates

Post 5703

Cheerful Dragon

PP, I understand from an aerial man that it's not the signal strength that's the issue on digital, it's the signal quality. I don't know if turning off the analogue signal will improve digital signal quality, but I hope so.

Petty Hates

Post 5704

Pink Paisley

CD. I know that it's no comfort to you but here in N Herts, I have a brilliant signal.

It may also be dependant on the direction that the arial is pointing in and the quality of the arial. When I moved into my house the signal at the box was pants. I replaced the arial in my loft, pointed it in the direction of Sandy Heath, and presto! 40 channels of repeats and US TV (but also BBC3, BBC4 and Film 4 - bril).

PP

Petty Hates

Post 5705

Cheerful Dragon

There's only one direction round here you can point the aerial, and our aerial is pointed that way. We also have a signal amplifier to ensure we get a clear signal on all channels.

When the system was set up last year, every channel was clear. It's only recently that we've started to have problems. If we'd had any high winds recently, I'd suspect the aerial had moved. But we haven't, so I'm going to blame the various companies responsible for the channels I can't get properly.

Petty Hates

Post 5706

DaveBlackeye

That's just brilliant! You have to have some respect for the kind of people who follow the rules slavishly without ever questioning what the rule is there for smiley - rofl.

< PP, I understand from an aerial man that it's not the signal strength that's the issue on digital, it's the signal quality. >

It's digital - apart from the compression (which you shouldn't notice smiley - erm) the transmitted signal is 'perfect', so the quality at the receiver is only dependent on the signal strength. Once the analogue frequencies are freed up, they will transmit at full power and things should get much better. I'm annoyed that they did it this way though; they could've had an interim but compatible system with higher bandwidth channels to see us through till the switchover.

Petty Hates

Post 5707

Pet Hate!!!

Teenagers, and SOME adults who insist on riding bicycles on the PEDESTRIAN footpath!
Closely followed by cyclists that ride on the road, but ignore red traffic signals.

'g'

Petty Hates

Post 5708

Mr. X ---> I spent a year dead for tax purposes. It worked so well that I'm going to do it again.

~*~You have to have some respect for the kind of people who follow the rules slavishly without ever questioning what the rule is there for~*~

No, I don't. In fact, I hate them all.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 5709

Bright Blue Shorts

"Closely followed by cyclists that ride on the road, but ignore red traffic signals."

I think a quick look through the backlog should find you're not alone in this matter. What did occur to me a few days ago is that, despite motorcyclists essentially being the same mode of transport as pedal cyclists; they would never do that.

Petty Hates

Post 5710

Didn't think I'd be alone, BBS, but 5000 posts is a lot to look through!!!

smiley - biggrin

'g'

Petty Hates

Post 5711

winternights

Current fashion as far as jeans is concerned.
Who wants to walk around with there under pants hanging out is beyond mesmiley - doh and ladies jeans that are currently in fashion make them look as if they have deformed backsides

Petty Hates

Post 5712

loonycat - run out of fizz

Yep, a thong or 6 inches of pants visible above jeans is not attractive!

I nearly got mowed down by a cyclist in the park earlier G smiley - yikes

Petty Hates

Post 5713

Read and understood, loonycat!

When my front door opened directly onto the street, I had to follow the 'Green Cross Code' each time I left the house!!!!

smiley - sadface

'g'

Petty Hates

Post 5714

winternights

It seems strange that in the days that every thing tootled along we told kids how to cross the road.
Now traffic moves at a terrifyingly psychotic endless pace and cars are not designed with minimal impact considerations, there is no proportional care shown.

Petty Hates

Post 5715

Hi winternights!

I know where you are coming from.
Our road is 'supposed' to be a 20mph limit......

Do drivers obey????????NO, NO, NO!!!

And then thet have the temerity to complain about the number of 'speed traps' that the Police are manning.

If they didn't speed, then the traps would be unnecessary--don't you think???

smiley - erm

'g'

Petty Hates

Post 5716

winternights

Hi ,sorry for the delay had unexpected computer problems.

I agree, its in the hands of the mindless few that the masses have to suffer unnecessarily

Petty Hates - and this one really is petty.

Post 5717

Pink Paisley

The mispronunciation of "Nike". It doesn't rhyme with "hike", it rhymes with Pikey.

PP

(See I said it was petty)

Petty Hates

Post 5718

Yvonne aka india

Recent clamp-down on boy racers, 60 mph in a 30 zone.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8043385.stm

It's not so much the speeds they reach; more the tuned engines, souped-up exhausts, and drag-racing starts away from the traffic lights.

Petty Hates

Post 5719

Why don't the manufacturers fit some kind of governor to the car so it CAN'T excede the speed limit. I'm sure it is not beyond the technology of today!

As an aside, I beleive that some car makers are experimenting with a 'driverless' car. You simply punch in your destination, and the car takes you there, without exceding the speed limit!!

smiley - smiley

'g'

Petty Hates

Post 5720

toybox

They do, my mum has one in her car, apparently.

Key: Complain about this post