A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Speed of light

Post 121

Anonymouse

Guess you'd just have to point whichever end needed to funtion towards the rear? smiley - winkeye

Speed of light

Post 122

Cavebloke

Now look, I was accusing Pauline the Bra of being crap, not Hand of Bod at all. She said that someone's explanation was wrong, but then didn't bother to explain it. The confusion arises because of the order that things get printed in. The only way to see which message somebody is replying to is to check the tree on the left of your forum screen. This message, for example, will appear miles below the message from Hand of Bod which I'm trying to reply to.

Speed of light

Post 123

Anonymouse

Hello?

Uhm... Before I posted I did follow the little dotted trail, read the post to which you replied, and still did not see someone say wrong. I did hear you call someone crap (looking at it now, in fact), so what's -your- problem? *sigh*

Speed of light

Post 124

Paul the Brake

Hey Anonymouse I was surprized that no one picked up on the fact that it was Winston Churchill who said "You can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time". by the way if you read up on Winston Churchill you will find out that most of his famous speeches were quotes from writers and poets, not his own words. smiley - winkeye

Speed of light

Post 125

Anonymouse

Hmmm...

"The Law of Motivation"
Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster.

( http://www.h2g2.com/A185988 )

smiley - winkeye

Speed of light

Post 126

some bloke who tried to think of a short, catchy, pithy name and spent five sleepless nights trying but couldn't think of one

What if it's the muscles you're trying to use?

o      o       o      o
smiley - fish° smiley - fish° smiley - fish° smiley - fish° 

Speed of light

Post 127

Anonymouse

Pull to push and push to pull

Speed of light

Post 128

Hand of Bod, ACE

how does that work?

ps. actually, i'm 17, and i didn't do all those other postings with an encyclopaedia open on my lap.

Speed of light

Post 129

Anonymouse

Who knows? When's the last time someone actually moved at the speed of light to test all the hypotheses? smiley - winkeye

Speed of light

Post 130

Slartibardfast

No.
Einsteins theory of relativity states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because the faster you go the bigger you get and therefore the more energy required to go any faster. Light has no mass, thats how it gets away with it. The car you describe would be infinetly big which at least means you'll be able to fit all of your shopping in the boot. If it was possible for the car to exist lamps would be useless as the light from them would only be going as fast as the car therefore never going in front of the car. In fact it would do as much good to sick a bit of yellow plastic on the front and save the battery.

Speed of light

Post 131

Anonymouse

It wouldn't matter... Either way you'd never know about it. smiley - winkeye

Speed of light

Post 132

Anonymouse

No matter how hard you try, you can't throw electromagnetic radiation? smiley - winkeye

Speed of light

Post 133

Slartibardfast

Yeah, but how hard have you tried?
I just tried a bit on my lunchhour but it wasnt very hard 'cause I was trying to eat a sandwich at the same time.

Speed of light

Post 134

Anonymouse

I wonder who X was in X's Theory of The Edge Of the Earth. smiley - winkeye

Speed of light

Post 135

Si

Those horrible new paranoia intensifying blue headlights on loads of cars, they'd be the ones to use for the testing. Everything else would slow down around them, so they'd be going relatively faster still.

Speed of light

Post 136

Trinity KS

Dont know about NaCl, but according to the same theory, the closer to the speed of light you travel, the slower the time would flow for you, when such slow-moving people as ordinary us would look at you. Travelling at the speed of light, to us you whould just seem frosen in time, and so all you'll have to warry about is that the Universe will finish before you have your lunch.

About the increasing mass-- firstly, in real life you will not be able to reach the speed of light, because your size will become smaller in proportion to the speed, and so you'll become denser, or something, untill the point when you collapse onto yourself, like a black hole.

Unfortunately, only the pure enrgy in form of electro-magnetic radiation (i.e. light) is able to travel at such a speed, probably there is no friction. But it is known for matter to change itself into energy (see quantum physics), as in the example of electrons. Though the artificial process is one-way (nuclear bombs).

I'd do a bit more research in science class mate.

Post 137

Trinity KS

Canging one's perception has been done in Mexico, but it take a lot of self discipline, not including all the types of "Magic Mushroom" you'll have to consume.

Speed of light

Post 138

Anonymouse

I wonder if you're referring to the same headlights I have thus far seen on one and a half vehicles. I was thinking more along the lines of "Put those on EVERY vehicle, please?" and wondering what kind they were. The first car (the whole one, meaning that both of his headlights were the same) didn't even bother to dim as he approached me, his lights not only didn't blind me, but felt soothing to my overly-tired, burning eyes and even gave -me- more light to see by. I can think of nothing better than non-blinding headlights that actually let you see around you.

Post 139

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Hold on...just because time is a matter of perception, that doesn't mean that if you alter your perception you alter time. You might be altering a different aspect of your perception.

Post 140

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

That was actually a question on a recent problem set in my Astronomy class: "You just got pulled over for running a red light in your interstellar cruiser. You explain to the officer that because of the Doppler effect you saw the light as green, whereupon the officer nods and promptly hauls you into custody for speeding. How fast _were_ you going?" smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post