A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Speed of light

Post 1

The Duke of Dunstable

Right. This is an old question, but it needs a new and proper answer. If, say, Rover built a car that could go by the speed of light (I know, it's a VERY theoretical question), would it be sensible, or useful even, to put lamps on it?

Speed of light

Post 2

Nightfever

...and what happens if you're in the car travelling at the speed of light, and you downshift into first??

smiley - winkeye

Speed of light

Post 3

Researcher 48744

Doesn't it depend on whether your going to drive it at night?

Speed of light

Post 4

Aoibheil 56832

If you are driving at the speed of light, is it light or always night? Would the light accompany you or are you just always ahead of it? smiley - bigeyes

Speed of light

Post 5

The Wisest Fool

I don't think you need bother about headlights.

According to Einstein's theories, at the speed of light your car would have acquired an infinite mass and it must surely follow that you would therefore have an infinitely powerful gravitational pull on each and everything in the universe at the same time. Indeed, every single particle in the universe would be compelled to accelerate itself near to the speed of light and start heading directly for you.

So its not your headlamps that need worry you but your side impact bars amd airbags. And, as to whether or not it's day or night - the emd result is goodnight Vienna.

BTW all the above is off the top of my head, non researched amd probably best taken with small portion of NaCl smiley - smiley

Speed of light

Post 6

Kallahan

Whouldn't sodium clhoride (NaCl the stuff used in r/c car batteries) be harmful to your health. And if the car had infinate mass it would become a black hole and crush everthing to the smallest possible point (point refering to synthetic geometry stating that a point is an exact location) therefore you would be spegheitified (scientific term meaning when you get near a black hole all your atoms get streached acrosed millions of miles) and you would be dead before you know it. Also down shifting would be hard because the gear shift would also be streached acrosed millions of miles. ohh thats also without reasearch and I'm only 15 years old so hah smiley - bigeyes

Speed of light

Post 7

Anonymouse

First would be what? The speed of sound? smiley - winkeye

Speed of light

Post 8

Queazer

If you're really interested, there are some good video clips of how things would look at relativistic speeds at the 'Backlight' site http://www.anu.edu.au/Physics/Searle/

Speed of light

Post 9

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Is it perhaps a little obvious to point out that it would fail Type Approval if it had no lights, because it failed to conform to the Vehicle Lighting Regulations?

Speed of light

Post 10

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I guess brakes would be superfluous as well, since if it is moving, and has infinite mass, then it also has infinite inertia and is unstoppable...?

Speed of light

Post 11

Shorty

Actually brakes would work as nothing can ever be described as infinite. Any friction would reduce the velocity no matter how infinite it's mass and inertia was but to get any sort of measurable reults they,d have to be bloody big. Anyone feel upto calculating the size of disks that would be needed to stop a one ton car from the speed of light???

Speed of light

Post 12

Shorty

If you downshifted to 1st...I'd be thinking about a service.

Speed of light

Post 13

Shorty

I'd do a bit more research in science class mate. sodium chloride is table salt...the stuff you throw on yer chips.

Speed of light

Post 14

Aoibheil 56832

At the speed of light, downshifting to first would probably drop both you and the theoretical auto into the nearest black hole [which are no longer theoretical].

Speed of light

Post 15

Charlie.Boy

A slightly easier question for you all. Asuming that the laws of physicis have been thrown out of the window for the time being. How long would it take a car traveling at the speed of light to go from London to Grimsby, park in Tesco's, let the driver pick up a blottle of vintage vinegar and then back to London?

Asuming a sensible pair of trousers of course.

N.B. The driver can't move at light speed around Tescos as that would just be silly.smiley - winkeye

I'd do a bit more research in science class mate.

Post 16

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

...to quote your earlier posting...

OK, there ARE differing degrees of infinity, in theory (Aleph null, Aleph one etc. - try a web search for "Cantor's Diagonal Slash"...), but the one thing they all have in common is... well... they are limitless. Einstein and his contemporaries showed that any mass increases as an object is accellerated, and as a result of this, if the object were ever to reach the speed of light, its mass would be infinite (Aleph null). Infinity isn't just "a very big number" - it's a specific mathematical concept, such that phrases like "...no matter how infinite ..." are meaningless.

Post 17

Anonymouse

How infinite... Heh heh... Isn't that a bit like asking "How pregnant are you?" smiley - winkeye

Post 18

Shorty

I apologise peet, maybe I should have paid more attention in class instead of drawing faces on the atoms...still, bit late for regrets now hahaha...I bow to your superior knowledge.

Speed of light

Post 19

CBAgain

Sodium Chloride and batteries are illegal! (Salt and battery)
Another factor to consider in the matter of light speed, is that time slow's down the closer you get, in fact time stands still at the speed of light. so now not only have you gained infinate mass, but the universe is not getting any older, relative to you, (but you are relative to it) smiley - smiley

Post 20

Anonymouse

If time stands still at the speed of light, how fast does light travel when time stands still... If it doesn't travel, is it always dark? (I think this was asked before, but I don't recall an answer. smiley - winkeye)

Key: Complain about this post