A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Whats the weather doing where you are?

Post 7481

The Eldon Wytch

St. Joseph MO Mid-West Heartland of the USA

61f overcast, showers, expected high of 78f and NOT a good day for Lawn Mower shopping smiley - sadface

Eldon Wytch smiley - cheers

Post 7482

Reality Manipulator

Belhus South Ockendon 12/05/2012 18:10

A sunny evening with a blue sky and white scattered clouds . The temperature now is 13°C. The humidity levels have rose from 61% at 15:00 to 80% .

Post 7483

winternights

Well, it’s not cold out given its only 00.23 Monday morning; it’s a tad on the windy sidesmiley - somersault.

Today will start cloudysmiley - sadface but by 11.00 the sun should breaksmiley - biggrin through and will shine for the rest of the daysmiley - magic, a high of 9c is expected, not too bad as long as your out of that breeze which is 17 and westerly.

Pressure will drop to 1013, sunrise is at 05.05for you early birds smiley - tit and will set at 21.00smiley - yawn

smiley - smiley

Post 7484

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Blairgowrie, Scotland.

The wind's died down today, it's cool and intermittently sunny but the sky is pretty grey (which just makes everything green look even greener in the sun).

Just wish it would warm up, I need to get my plants planted!

Post 7485

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

After yesterdays amazing not being totally freezing and not raining, we are back to rain and freezing again today smiley - brr I've put my gloves away, and retrieved them back out so many times this year... I'd have been better off stapling them to my hands... smiley - brr

Post 7486

KWDave

Key West, Florida USA 14 May 2012 11:15 EDT

Temperature is 86/30 and rising today. Humidity is about 90% with rain and thunderstorms in the forecast for tonight and Tuesday.

The warmish winter and early spring rains this year have conspired to turn everything intensely green and verdant, and everything is blooming. This means pollen, and lots of it. About half the population on the island is sniffling and coughing, and both druggists downtown have run out of allergy meds.

Summer weather is nice, but complicated.

Post 7487

shagbark

In Michigan, If the weather is going to be perfect, look for it to be in May or October. the remaining months are tolerable or something to survive, but right now the weather is wonderful smiley - cool

Post 7488

Pink Paisley

Hitchin, Herts, UK. 18:00.

Hissing down. Again.

PP

Post 7489

winternights

smiley - smiley

Well the jet stream as become fragmented again, this largely due to a large Low pressure area which has established itself East of Icelandsmiley - brr and over the Artic ocean/ Norwegian Sea.

I can see you asking yourselfsmiley - doh as to what this is to do with the weather in good old Blightysmiley - huh.

To cut a long story short, the Sun is reaching its solar maximum in the Solar Cycle number 24 (the cycle is observed by counting the frequency and placement of sunspots visible on the Sun. Solar variation causes changes in space weather and to some degree the weather and climate on Earth)
The radiation varies with sunspot activity, this then affects the stratosphere (the stratosphere holds the ozone that absorbs harmful UV radiation and prevents it from reaching the surface) and at the moment the stratosphere is warmingsmiley - cool as a consequence.

In warmer stratospheric conditions the jet stream takes a more meandering pathsmiley - footprintssmiley - footprints due to a weaker polar vortex. This allows cold airsmiley - brr to spill further south, which it is currently and has created the Low pressure over the Norwegian Sea.

This, due to its anticlockwise motionsmiley - somersault, is driving cold airsmiley - brr down from Iceland over the UK

There, we got there in the end, Phew.smiley - ok

So in short its smiley - brr , Tuesday is set to have a maximum temperature of 7c, Northerly winds, it will be cloudy with some beefy showers, (watch out for the hail stonessmiley - run)

May will as mentioned some posts ago will continue to be cold, for those over the pond in the good old USA, its going to start feeling Hot, Hot and Hotter.

Post 7490

ITIWBS

Coachella Valley, CA, USA

Tu 15 May 2012, 7:45am PDT

Temperature, 26.5C/82F

Air still, sky clear.

Last night, the sky was exceptionally clear, stars visible to the 6th magnitude at a glance, and even some dark nebula structure in the midline of the Milky Way readily apparent at a glance.

Post 7491

Effers;England.

Good summation 2legs.

We did indeed get hail earlier to day.

Now just cold and raining.

(A little while ago I actually saw that moment when we moved from one part of the pressure system to another. High up the clouds were coming from the south, and lower from the north it was fascinating..Half an hour later I looked up and everything was coming from the south. The southerly air flow didn't last long though. smiley - erm).

Post 7492

Effers;England.

Sorry forgot. Now, Peckham, London 5.20pm BST

Post 7493

winternights

“Good summation 2legs“smiley - dohit was little old me smiley - smileyWinternights smiley - cheers that wrote post 7489.

I’m not really littlesmiley - ant, still over 6foot 2 but I am smiley - seniorsmiley - winkeye

Currentlysmiley - brrish, very smiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - star out there tonight. Tomorrow the sun will pop up at 05.02smiley - smiley and smiley - yawnsmiley - zzz at 21.05.
Temperature should around 9c with a north westerly wind of about 12 and it should be sunnysmiley - coolsmiley - cheers

Post 7494

Effers;England.

Apologies winternights...must have been the weather affecting my brain..

Today a bit of sun and less cold...but really nothing to write home about. This is meant to be the month when the sexy airs of summer come upon us.

Peckham, London 16.14 BST

Post 7495

winternights

No problem Efferssmiley - smileysmiley - ok

You’ll not be bathing hours of bare arms just yet, it still going to be a bit on the smiley - brr side, as for a leisurely drive through the land of farms, instead pop down to the local offy and stock up on some smiley - ale.

As up in in Yorkshire were going to enjoy the dizzy heights of 7c with a breezy south by south westerly wind which although it may look nice outside, it going to feelsmiley - brr

So stay in till in warms up and enjoy a few smiley - ale‘s by the firesmiley - cheers

Post 7496

lapislazuli

Manama, Bahrain 5pm.

39C very dusty/almost cloudy sky today at times. Typical summer weather. Humidity is definitely beginning to be felt at certain times of the days. Yet some bright clear blue sky interludes too.
Summer's here and the the thermometer's on up for the next 3 months or so. I will pass.

Post 7497

lapislazuli

NOT, I will pass.smiley - erm (although you never know) It will pass.

Post 7498

winternights

Hot, hot, hot, 20c+. Clear blue skies, lots of the old sunny stuff and smiley - ale to keep coolsmiley - cool.

All courtesy of a high pressure system which has squeezed in between two lows, long may it staysmiley - cheers?

Post 7499

lapislazuli

Enjoy it while you have it!!!!!!!!!!!!smiley - biggrinsmiley - cool

Post 7500

KWDave

Key West, Florida USA 02 Jun 2012 0845 EDT

Temp is 80/26, expected to reach 88/31 today. Quite tolerable this morning with the fans running.

We dodged Beryl last weekend, but it destabilized our atmosphere enough that it has rained hard every day this week. Having to be extra vigilant lest the shower become mildew paradise overnight.

Ready for some sun.
smiley - magic

Key: Complain about this post