A Conversation for Ask h2g2

2001: A Space Odyssey is rubbish!

Post 21

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

They really *don't* make them like that any more. do they? smiley - laugh
Of course, if he hadn't have made those movies, Tim Burton couldn't have made the wonderful *and moving* Ed Wood about him.
smiley - shark

Post 22

Uncle Heavy [sic]

i agree. 2001 is rubbisj. considerably more rubbish than the book, which is, in itself, rubbish.

Post 23

Orcus

smiley - laugh

don't mince your words now Uncle Heavy now. Come on, give us it straight!

smiley - winkeye

Post 24

Cheerful Dragon

I first saw 2001 having read 'The Sentinel', the Arthur C. Clarke story that inspired Kubric to make the film. I couldn't understand the film at all. Then I read the book, and the film made more sense. Hardly surprising, in a way, because the book and the film were written at the same time by the same person (Arthur C. Clarke, again). Having said that, I don't have much time for films where I have to read the book on which they are based for the film to make sense. A book allows a lot of explanation for things that a film can only show. Anything visual is open to (mis-)interpretation.

I wouldn't say the film is rubbish, but it's not one that I would watch over and over again. 2010, the sequel, is better.

I do agree, though, that a lot of modern films lack a decent story. As for George Lucas's ability with dialogue, I understand that Alec Guinness *insisted* on Obi-Wan being killed off at the end of Star Wars because he didn't want to do that kind of banal dialogue any more. Oh, and 'doing the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs' is thought by some to refer to Han taking a short cut through a dangerous area, rather than taking the safe, longer route.

2001: A Space Odyssey is NOT rubbish!

Post 25

caper_plip

I liked the trick with the floating pencil that spins around. I haven't seen 2001 for some time though... and yes, I am a fantasy/LoTR-type person... but then I'm biased smiley - smiley

Post 26

Mister Matty

2001 is great! smiley - biggrin

Regarding George Lucas and dialogue, I agree. Why can't he give his script to a better screenwriter and have them tweak it? More to the point, who doesn't he give his film to a better director (like he did with Empire Strikes Back)?

I'm still going to see Attack of the Clones, and I bet it's not rubbish like all the snotty critics decided before they actually saw it (and remember, the *real* reason you don't like it is because you are most definitely *not* a sci-fi nerd, oh no. Oh, and after several hours you managed to find a possibly-racist subtext which you have gloated over).

Sorry, an image of an obnoxiously "cutting" one-star review with Mark "head-w****r on the late review" Lawson's odiously-smug face topping it just floated through my mind. smiley - winkeye

(next weeks Observer will probably make that a reality)

Despite all that, Lucas's dialogue will still suck. Apparently there's a scene where Obi-Wan is offered some "Deathsticks" (hey, because that's what people selling illegal cigarettes (which is what even a f***wit can work out is what is being suggested) would call them, right? I mean you have to make your product attractive). How lame is that?

Post 27

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

2001 a visually pleasing film in which nothing much happens.All style and no content.I nearly fell asleep during the rings sequence so I can't say it is at the top of my favourite SF movies.I reserve that for the Andromeda Strain or more recently Gattaca.Intellegent dialogue and good plots go out the window in SF when Hollywood gets involved.Goodness knows what SF classics they will find to ruin next.I'm waiting to see what they have done to the latest version of The Time Machine but I don't hold out much hope.

Incog.

Post 28

Uncle Heavy [sic]

how about this for a statement then orcus:

i move that stanley kubrik was rubbish. and that full metal jacket and the shining are the only two of his films worth seeing.

Post 29

Dogster

I'm of two minds about 2001. For some reason I like it, even though it's unwatchably dull. I don't think I've ever managed to watch it all the way through, but I've seen all of it at one point or another. Maybe it's better if watching it stoned? (I'm thinking here of the flashing colours scene.)

Has anyone seen the Russian film "Solaris" which is often touted as "The Russian 2001"? It's equally long but much more interesting, and I managed to watch it all the way through in one sitting.

Incog, you liked the film of "The Andromeda Strain"? Really? How is that possible?

Uncle Heavy, you didn't like Dr Strangelove? It's possibly the funniest (and simultaneously scariest, particularly at the moment) film of all time.

Post 30

Mister Matty

"i move that stanley kubrik was rubbish"

fords_prefect is going to kill you smiley - winkeye

Post 31

Uncle Heavy [sic]

damn! i knew there was another!

Post 32

superdogmonkey

Wait until the Hollywood re-make! It will probably star Leonardo de whats-his-face and a big busted companion. His ship will be heavily armed so he can fight off all the alien invaders who are behind the monoliths, there will be a fantastic fight towards the end involving HAL creating an army of Android ninja drones, the trip scene will be cut in case children s eyes are hurt and at the end, the big busted companions love for leonardo sprout-face will reverse the ageing process! Of course the soundtrack will be by J-Lo and Westlife. Sounds fantastic smiley - sadface

smiley - monster

Post 33

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Other Kubrick movies worth a squint;
The Killers, Paths of Glory, Barry Lyndon, A Clockwork Orange.

Post 34

Orcus

THe 12 parsec thing is *definitely* a mistake.

I've seen George Lucas cringing about it himself.

Post 35

Orcus

Oh, and before I forget...

so what we've established so far then is that apart from about 8 excellent films Stanley Kubrick is rubbish? smiley - bigeyes

smiley - winkeye

Post 36

DoctorGonzo

Personally, I didn't like A Clockwork Orange. I liked the book (I read the version without the cop-out ending) but I found the film dated, and the nudge-nudge wink-wink tone of it really put me off. Of course, fords_prefect disagrees with me, as she does about Taxi Driver being the greatest film ever...

Post 37

Hmm... well... I found 2001 pretty boring and incomprehensible. Didn't see what all the fuss was about, to be honest...

Hmmmm. Science fiction films. Hrm. I can't think of any truly outstanding examples of the genre right now... but then I never claimed to be an expert on such things smiley - smiley

I guess it's hard to capture the interesting technological/social aspects of sci-fi on film...

Post 38

Orcus

My fave sci fi flims...

Terminator (the 1st one), Forbidden Planet, Alien.

Classics all surely.

I personally wouldn't put 2001 up there either but I don't regard it as crap.

Post 39

Hmmm... Alien was good... but it was more action/horror than sci-fi, wouldn't you say?

Terminator was fun too, of course smiley - smiley

Post 40

Orcus

Set in space, about an alien life form, yes I'd call it Sci fi.

Also horror though - I didn't think the two were mutually exclusive.

Action? smiley - erm

Are you not thinking of Aliens the sequel?

Key: Complain about this post