A Conversation for Ask h2g2

2001: A Space Odyssey is rubbish!

Post 201

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

[NOTE] * it rhymes.

Post 202

fords - number 1 all over heaven

I've only read the Sentinel, sorry *hangs her head in shame* so I can only really comment on 2010 the film. But yeah, what is that all about??

Post 203

I was feelin' all literary when i was about 15 so saved up and proudly brought the series to display on my boooks shelf and read. I'm gonna go through 'em again this summer - mainly cos I can't remember what precisely 3001 was all about.

2061 however is all about those worlds and what the monoliths are doing on them. smiley - cool

Post 204

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Wasn't "3001" just the last chapter of "2061"?

Post 205

I really have to get more books...I'm reading about 3 at the same time at the moment, pretty heavy going!

Post 206

well it was a separate book - but I read it so long ago I can't really remember.

there are however 4 books:

2001 [URL removed by Moderator] (this is published by a different company odly - but I now Waterstones do do a copy of 2001 that ties in with the rest of the follow: front covers etc.)

[URL removed by Moderator]

Post 207

I remember seeing a couple of those in the library...might just nip down on Monday and get borrowing smiley - smiley

Post 208

Whoops!

exception was taken to my referencing amazon.

my bad.

Post 209

smiley - erm Amazon.com? But everyone knows that's a great place to go to read reviews... read/watch/listen to samples... everythin'... can't see why anyone would object. Ah well.

While I'm here... does anyone think Star Wars 2 counts as a classic sci-fi movie? smiley - biggrinsmiley - run

Post 210

Dark Side of the Goon

2001 was a very odd film and definitely an acquired taste - but then all of Kubric's films have a distinct kink to them.

George Lucas should never never never be let near dialogue again. He stole a lot of Star Wars from other sources - the Trench Run scene in Star Wars is lifted largely from "The Dam Busters".

And Ed Wood was a lunatic. See Tim Burton's "Ed Wood", which is pretty darn spiffy itself.

Post 211

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

If you have the bandwidth, check out "George Lucas in Love" smiley - laugh

http://www.mediatrip.com/ent/films/lucasinlove.html

Post 212

It won't play smiley - wah

Says there ain't no /cgi-bin/media.cgi on that there server... ah well, I'll try again in a bit...

Post 213

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

I think to describe Ed Wood as a lunatic is a trifle hard.
He was just a man with a unique vision.smiley - winkeye
smiley - shark

Post 214

As Harrison Ford famously said about Lucas's scripting skills:

'George, you can type this s**t but you sure as hell can't say it!'

Post 215

Dark Side of the Goon

I love Ed's work - really! - but he was very obviously barking mad.

Post 216

JD

"I think it must be a boy thing... "

I think that 2001: A Space Odyssey is best described as "difficult-to-appreciate." It's become one of my personal favorites (alright, yes, I happen to be male, but I hardly expect that the the appreciation is strictly based on one's sex), but I hated it when I first saw it (age 10). That's not to say I saw it when it was first released at age 10, but that I saw it much later at age 10 ... don't want to mis-date myself smiley - winkeye.

Back to what I was saying, I think 2001 is best appreciated when one realizes that Kubrick's goals are usually to present an ecapsulated sensory impact onto his audience. Not content to merely understand that he has control over his audience, Kubrick tends to exploit that fact in order to cause a reaction (sometimes ANY reaction) in the audience rather than to entertain. In that respect, I think his treatment of 2001 is a fantastic and resouding success, particularly for the time.

One might make the observation that 2001 is not well-liked by those that are unwilling to give something TO the exeperience of watching the film, preferring to take all sensory perception of what's being shown as an abolutely controlled, generally pre-meditated and scripted and fitting into specific molds and ideals. In other words, those that do not like the challenge of allowing their minds to wander a bit in the hands of the artist (in this case the filmmaker) are unlikely to enjoy the art itself (in this case the movie). That sounds pretty damn pretentious, but I'm not sure how else to say it without getting offensive.

I can say this much: I love 2001, and I slightly resent the insinuation that it's a "boy thing" - but I'll let that alone for a moment. The point I'm trying to make is that 2001 isn't easily appreciated by people, and that it *might* be because it isn't supposed to be appreciated in the same WAY as we're used to appreciating movies. That, in and of itself, is significant; at least, I think so. Kubrick's goal has always been to make you feel something when you see what he wants you to see. He knows he's got you watching his film, so he toys with you a bit ... you just have to be patient, a little trusting, and just let yourself react to it. If that reaction is anger and annoyance, so be it.

- JD

Post 217

Just resurrecting this one briefly.

Rented the lates Cohen's film: The Man who wasn't there. I shall report in due course. smiley - popcorn

Oh an nice one JD! smiley - ok

Post 218

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

The Man Who Wasn't There

Fine, fine movie.
smiley - shark

Post 219

ooh goodie! smiley - cool

(I got The Others Too. Special offer at the video shop in honour of the footie - Guess the World Cup's good for something then! )

Post 220

I loved The Others as well.smiley - magic
Kidman actually proving that she can act, and a wonderful turn from the great Eric Sykes.smiley - ok
smiley - shark

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more