A Conversation for Ask h2g2

A non IT Bod writes on a question of modern technology and philosophy

Post 1

Lochangel

For about seven months now I have worked in a paperless office. All incoming letters etc are scanned onto the system and stored away bypassing me completely, all old paper files have been back scanned and all work is done electronically. So can anyone explain why my desk is groaning under the weight of several acres of rain forest? I have never seen so much paper in my entire life, not even when I was in the civil service.

Yours in the hope some one can inspire me into efficiency and a clean desk policy
Lochangel

Post 2

Bruce

Its probably all the manuals for the paperless office system.

;^)#

Post 3

Anonymouse

LOL! smiley - smiley

You know what they say about a cluttered desk. I like to think that it's true, it's one heck of an excuse! smiley - winkeye

Post 4

Cheerful Dragon

My husband has a sign over his desk at work, saying 'There'll be a paperless toilet before there's a paperless office'.

Post 5

Bruce

Im sure I saw something on the TV where the Japanese have developed a paperless toilet - all jets of water & warm air (hopefully more effective than the warm air hand dryers) - makes me shudder to think about it.

;^)#

Post 6

Lochangel

Let us hope that the water is warm or else you would be in for quite a shock! smiley - smiley

Post 7

Bruce

I think the most worrying thing was that it also featured an automatic perfume/scent dispenser for your bum, as well as a room deodouriser.

;^)#

Post 8

Anonymouse

I read somewhere where the japanese tried introducing their high-tech toilets to somewhere in the US and they were vehemently rejected.

Post 9

Bruce

I dont know that they're taken off in Japan either. There's some habits you just aren't comfortable radically changing.

;^)#

Post 10

Lochangel

exacltly - you cannot mechanise everything for the better!

Post 11

Researcher 55172

Because when you are reading things electronically, your eyes are subjected to text represented by dots with a pitch of about 90 dots per inch (what's that in furlongs per cubic fortnight??) On the printed paper page, the dots are more like 600 dots per inch. Reading is a pattern recognition activity. If your eyes and brain can make sense of the symbols without working too hard, the rest of your brain is able to immerse itself in the semantics of the words written. If the symbols are hard to discern, however, then it makes it really hard to follow their meaning. In essence, if you have to use too many of your grey cells just to figure out what the word and letter shapes actually are, then you haven't enough left, it seems, to make sense of their meaning. Faced with this annoyance, biology has equipped us with the power of making the decision to hit the "Print" button in order to make out tiny brains hurt a little less when we have to read the content.

Another thing: Paper is essentially fast random access stuff. You can sort of remember one page's relationship to another in a stack of papers without having to think very much. I can find most things in my office just by sort of remembering what they were near. Computer text has no such visual relationship with other pages of electronic text and searching is often slower.

Cracking these two problems might make us move closer to a paperless office. Otherwise, we are going to resort to killing trees just to stop our tiny brains from hurting.

Post 12

Cheerful Dragon

Another reason for preferring paper copies of things is that you can scribble notes in the margins. OK, so Microsoft, amongst others, has come up with a system of adding little 'Post-it note' type comments to documents, but their not visible all the time so it's not the same. Electronic bookmarking just isn't the same, either. And I've yet to encounter a search facility in anybody's documentation that can equal a good riffle through a printed index. I find that if the first stab at finding it in the printed index doesn't work, my brain will generate alternative search headings. This just doesn't happen with an electronic index.

Post 13

Anonymouse

The discomfort in having bathroom habits mucked with was exactly why the stuffy Merkins rejected the idea. Apparently the Japanese, however, after years of being forced to go to the nearest public bathhouse, are more having all the comforts of home be more comfortable, even if it's technology that makes it so.

Post 14

Lochangel

Ahhhh I see - cheers guys I will present these thoughts in the next meeting and sound really intelligent. smiley - smiley

Post 15

Some Guy

Really intelligent. Hmmm.
You know, there is a big difference between being intelligent and sounding intelligent. This forum for example sounds very intelligent yet it is neither productive nor intelligent. As a matter of fact half of the participants are under twenty years of age. All talking about something they know nothing about. Take me for example: I'm only thirteen yet I sound intelligent by using words that have more than tennnnnnnnn letters in them (intelligent instead of smart).
As for sounding intelligent, it is the worst career move one can make. A mistake anyone with an average IQ can make. Unfortunately 75% of people in the world are indeed below average. Sigh. Anyway if you are considered intelligent then you will never be promoted for you will be way too important in your current position. Make sure that you are considered a normal (not average) person. That means you are not too important to be promoted but are not an absolute imbecile. Anyway, you should just relax because there is absolutely no risk of sounding intelligent when one is talking about a subject as idiotic as this one.
Hmmmm. It seens I forgot what the subject was.

Post 16

Cheerful Dragon

How do you know how old we are? How old do you think I am, for example?

Post 17

Some Guy

I don't really care. I can play guessing games or I could do something productive. Are you older than 12?
Okay, how about this, do you like more: The Offspring, Greenday, Kid Rock, N Sync, The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Billy Joel or Al Yankovic(not Weird Al Yankovic, the other one)?
I can give you what might be an accurate age group or not. smiley - smiley
Anyway I got a nice article on sex I just sent for rejection and I am working on a guide to New York. Expect them to be posted in two months.
The article on sex is not very educating but it is good for a laugh.
The one on New York will be a bit more serious. Whoopy!! Useful info on the web

Post 18

Some Guy

Oh by the way the age thing is a hypothesis which was created based upon the observation made by Dave Barry, "They are almost always 13 year old boys". smiley - bigeyes

Post 19

Charlie.Boy

Some Guy you are deffinatly not thirteen. You could only write like you do and about the things you do if you had lived a least a couple of years longer. Otherwise you could be the only intellectual statutory peadophile.

Post 20

Anonymouse

Personally I don't care how old he/she is or how old I/we am/are... If it can find nothing better to do with its life than to go around looking for people to insult and/or criticize because it thinks it makes it look k3\//|_ ... It's a sad, sad thing.

smiley - tongueout~

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more