A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What do you wish you had learnt sooner?

Post 21

$u$

Firstly, that other people are not honest, reliable and caring, just because you are, or because you want them to be.smiley - sadface

Secondly, I wish that I kept up an interest in music and learnt to play at least one instrument really well.smiley - musicalnote

But mostly, what career I wanted to follow. I wish I'd known what my abilities were, what I would be happy pursuing, and had found the strength of mind to follow my ambitions.

Never too late to learn apparently...smiley - erm

Sus

Post 22

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I wish I'd learnt how to write quickly and well sooner. Being an eight year old with a head full of ideas and only an hour or so to write a short story is not pleasant. I think it put me off writing (but not reading) for most of my secondary school years. I am only now realizing that I'm actually quite good at writing.

Post 23

DoctorGonzo

I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger. Also, I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was stronger. Ooh la la indeed.

I'd second the musical instrument one - I'd love to be able to play anything. Also, that chemistry wasn't for me - I'd probably have a degree by now, instead of being in first year...

Post 24

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I'm sure that, if I could travel back in time, I would save myself a few minor embarassments, btu I doubt I would listen to myself on anything big or important.

Post 25

Rocket Rod

Computers (the modern sort), except they didn't have them when I was a kid.
All we had were punchcards.
With GUI etc. etc. etc.hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........
I basically rediscovered computers, at about the time, that I joined h2g2.
Wasted years, or not.
Who knows.
smiley - rocket Rod

Post 26

Orcus

I think part of getting older and wiser is having to live through those cringeworthy moments we all have from time to time.

Without having them, you don't learn to avoid them in the future.

Post 27

I suppose so, but try telling that to someone right after one of the 'cringeworthy moments'.

Post 28

Orcus

Well yes there are moments I wish I could take back right enough.

Basically my current theory is that growing up is a process of getting taller/wider whilst learning not to be a prat. smiley - biggrin

Post 29

Rocket Rod

The older one gets, the more cringe-worthy events, happen.
That, which happens, happens.
The b******s who keep reminding you of the cringe-worthy also happen.
They deserve not to have happened.
smiley - rocket Rod

Post 30

Woodpigeon

smiley - smiley

I wish I had realised that it is not possible to get on with everybody, that different people have very different personalities, and that's just the way it is.

Post 31

Great Western Lettuce (no.51) Just cut down the fags instead

I would love to have spoken another language above the stage of 'Je voudrais un glace', I think I still could, but the best opportunity is when you're in school I suppose.
Also love to play an instrument of some sort.

Agree whole-heartedly with the sentiments of the last few entries. It seems that at any point in my life, I seem to think that I am reasonably together at the time. Then when I look back on myself at that point from the future I think about what a complete a**e I was.
The only conclusion to be drawn is that - Yes, I am an a**e.

Post 32

Xanatic

Or that getting married now is not a better idea than when you were young and stupid, because compared to 10 years from now, you are still young and stupid.

Post 33

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I'm with Mother of God about self discipline.Everything has gone south permanently and I wish I had had the self discipline to do all me exercises when I was younger.It's a bit late for certain bits of my anatomy now.

A droopy Incog.

Post 34

a girl called Ben

I am with Ommigosh about sex and Tom Waites... sudden thought - if I had managed it right I could have discovered them both at the same time... smiley - winkeye

Agree with Purple Moose about finding h2g2 earlier; I got some emails from the Starship Titanic site, but ignored them smiley - wah

And totally agree with Clive about languages. In terms of skills I don't have - give me the ability to speak one language over the ability to play an entire orchestra of instruments smiley - whistle

Life lessons?

None really - they seem to come along when learning them is the most effective - ouch!

Ben

Post 35

cheeky monkey

That people's actions actually have little effect on us - it is how we interpret them that matters.
Therefore a problem cannot come from someone else, they cannot 'make' us angry, sad, happy, it is how we react to them and their actions.

Post 36

a girl called Ben

For a full list of those cringeworthy moments - and a place to share yours with a bunch of complete strangers - check out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F19585?thread=107344&latest=1 I wonder if we should make it into a colaborative entry....? Better not, I think. B

Post 37

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

That other people are just as afraid of other people as I am.

Post 38

Wampus

That I had started martial arts 10 years earlier. I could have been in much better shape by now...

Wampus

Post 39

Lady in a tree

I wish I had learnt that going to the dentist is a good thing and never as painful as you think it's going to be.

Why do we dentophobia sufferers never realise that the pain we go through for days (maybe even weeks) with a toothache is *always* worse than the pain in the dentist's chair???

I think I am more scared of what they need to do to all my other teeth after I have the initial problem dealt with. I often have dreams about all my teeth faling out.

You may have guessed that I have a toothache right now and am trying to convince myself that getting it sorted out is the sensible thing to do!....

Post 40

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

i was told that dreamng about your teeth falling out is a classsic stress dream. i used to dream it all the time during my finals. i would wake up looking for them and putting my fingers in my mouth to check they were still there.

dont worry about the dentist. at least it's better than the doctors. after all, there is no way the dentist can want to mess with anything embarressing is there?

FABT

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more