A Conversation for Ask h2g2

So it is against the law to be a republican ..?

Post 1

HappyDude

Treason Felony Act 1848

If any person whatsoever shall, within the United Kingdom or without, compass, imagine, invent, devise or to deprive or depose our Most Gracious Lady the Queen, from the style, honour, or royal name of the imperial crown of the United Kingdom, or of any other of her Majesty's dominions and countries, or to levy war against her Majesty, within any part of the United Kingdom, in order by force or constraint to compel her to change her measures of counsels, or in order to put any force or constraint upon her or in order to intimidate or overawe both Houses or either House of Parliament, or to move or stir any foreigner or stranger with force to invade the United Kingdom or any other of her Majesty's dominions or countries under the obeisance of her Majesty. and such compassings, imaginations, inventions, devices, or intentions, or any of them, shall express, utter, or declare, by publishing any printing or writing, or by any overt act or deed, every person so offending shall be guilty of felony, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, to be transported beyond the seas for the term of his or her natural life.

________

So it is against the law to be a republican smiley - huh

Post 2

HappyDude

ARTICLE 10 of the European convention

Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. this right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information an ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or the rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

Is there some conflict here smiley - huh

Post 3

Pink Paisley

As a republican I am debarred from many occupations including serving in the armed forces, the police force, becoming a magistrate or an MP and anything else that demands that I swear loyalty to the queen.

PP

Post 4

HappyDude

a bit smiley - silly isnt it.

Post 5

HappyDude

I don't see the problem in being a Republican & giving an oath of loyalty to the Chief Executive of the UK providing that oath dose not preclude campaigning in a legal way for a change to the executive branch of the British Government.

But as I see the situation, this law effectively bans all forms of campaigning about how the Executive branch of the British government is filled.

Post 6

HappyDude

A690248

Post 7

DoctorGonzo

Here's a thought:

Would repealing the act of settlement be a good thing, if you want the monarchy abolished? Or would it add legitimacy to the monarchy? ("Look, we're modernising - we're not an anachronism at all)

Personally, I'd like to see the civil list go first. Even though I, as a baptised catholic, would be barred from the throne smiley - smiley

Post 8

Madent

It's interesting, but realistically what is wrong with a monarch?

I personally like having a head of state with no actual power. And the cost isn't that great when you compare it to the budgets of other heads of state (US, France, Germany, etc). And tourism thrives on the spectacle of the Royal Family. Their cost is tiny in comparison the number of real jobs they support.

And what is the alternative? The US is at least smart enough to limit their leader to a maximum of 8 years on fixed timetable. Can you imagine the UK adopting that sort of approach? UK politicians love being able to call elections to suit themselves. And have you seen the hash that they are making of reforming the House of Lords? I would trust any UK politician to change our political system to their disadvantage.

Post 9

HappyDude

I personally don't mind the form of monarchy we have today BUT I think it is wrong that anyone is legally prohibited from campaigning against it.

Post 10

Munchkin

So, has the treason act not been updated since 1948? I thought it was all perfectly legal to campaign in a democratic manner. Indeed, filling out a government security check at one point I was asked if I had ever tried to overthrow the government by non democratic means. I.e. its okay to campaign against the government, as long as your civil about it.

Post 11

HappyDude

This law applies to the executive branch (not the legislative branch) of government & is still enforce.

Post 12

Munchkin

Just as well I always say nice things about her then smiley - smiley

Post 13

Toccata

Did you choose today (50th Anniversary of Accession to the Throne) on purpose for this conversation? smiley - smiley

Post 14

Madent

It must be either that or, as I read elsewhere, that an MP is introducing a "10 minute" bill to abolish this ludicrous legislation.

Post 15

HappyDude

both

Post 16

Potholer

I don't see a problem with an oath of loyalty when joining the police or armed forces, since I believe everyone still has the right (and duty) to refuse immoral or illegal orders.

Do Scouts still have to swear an oath to the queen?

Post 17

Brother Maynard

Re Post no.10: will those government spooks stop at nothing? Subterfuge we can accept, but direct questions? Blimey!

The monarchy is not just a powerless figurehead - they are one of the three (I think) largest landowners in the country. Land = money = power.

I think Prince Charles shows distinct republican tendencies.

Post 18

Madent

That's a very questionable statistic.

The Church of England is the biggest landowner in the country.

Many of the properties considered by some to 'belong' to the Queen, are in fact owned by the state, which is entirely different.

Got any data to back this up?

Post 19

Munchkin

Best have him hung now then.
To be slightly more serious, I reckon there should be some scaling back of the Monarchy, but I don't see how having some lame duck president elected every couple of years would be any better. If you ask me, if things were to go republican I reckon they should just remove the whole need for a figurehead, and leave the Prime Minister et al working as they do now. Old Blairy boy acts like a head of state most of the time, so why not just leave him to it. Saves money if nothing else.

Post 20

Madent

So who would head up the Commonwealth?

Key: Complain about this post