A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 8781

Pastey

Currently reading Gods of Mars.

After reading Gnomon's entry on the John Carter books, I had to start reading them smiley - biggrin

Post 8782

You can call me TC

He ought to get commission on them.

Post 8783

Pastey

Alas for him, they're free on Gutenberg.

Post 8784

Mol - on the new tablet

Now would seem to be a good time for me to start that Discworld start-to-finish re-read. Now that we know it is the finish, I mean. smiley - brave

Mol

Post 8785

Cheerful Dragon

I only own four of the Discworld novels so far. Part of me is glad that the series is now finite. Most of me mourns the passing of an intelligent, witty and talented man.smiley - bluesmiley - cry

RIP Sir Terry. You will be missed, but not forgotten as long as there are Discworld books.smiley - rose

Post 8786

ITIWBS

Currently reading through Gutenberg's selection of H. Beam Piper stories.

I'd rate him like the single most cerebral and authoritative 20th century science fiction writer.

Post 8787

Sho - employed again!

Pratchett's daughter is going to carry on writing Discworld novels, isn't she?

Recently finished Pigeon Post which isn't my favourite of the Swallows & Amazon books, but probably in my top 3 (after Winter Holiday and the first one)

and have just finished When Nights Were Cold by Susanna Jones, which is about lady mountain climbers at the time of the suffragettes. Excellent read, and if you enjoy it you may also enjoy How to Climb Mont Blanc in a Skirt which is about female explorers in the 19th century and the turn of the 20th.

Post 8788

Cheerful Dragon

Dick Francis's son carried on writing 'Dick Francis' novels after his dad's death, but I haven't read any of them, despite having a full set of Dick Francis books. They may be reasonable stories in their own right, but they're not the same. Similarly with Pratchett's daughter taking on the Discworld mantle.

I'll buy the original Discworld novels (I notice the prices have gone up over the last few months). After that, who knows?

Post 8789

Cheerful Dragon

Almost forgot. If you're interested in female explorers, The Blessings of a Good Thick Skirt by Mary Russell and Unsuitable for Ladies by Jane Robinson are worth a look.

Post 8790

Pastey

Rhianna's an accomplished and acclaimed author in her own right, mostly famous for video games storylines. I'll be very interested to see if/how she takes on the Discworld mantle.

Gotta be better than MacCaffrey's son taking over the Pern books.

Post 8791

You can call me TC

Or Eoin Colfer's Hitchhiker's sequel. Didn't cut the mustard at all.

Post 8792

Cheerful Dragon

Reading Northern Lights by Philip Pullman. I started it on Thursday and I'm over half way through. I'm really enjoying it!

Post 8793

Mol - on the new tablet

The Northern Lights sequence changed the way I look at the world - brilliant books. Almost envious of you if you're reading them for the first time smiley - smiley

Mol

Post 8794

Cheerful Dragon

I'll probably finish it today. I'm not sure whether to go straight on to The Subtle Knife, or give Northern Lights a chance to seep further into my psyche. I found with the Song of Ice and Fire series that it was easy to have too much of a good thing. Philip Pullman's books are different, though - not so dark and violent, with fewer characters to keep track of.

Decisions, decisions!

Post 8795

Sho - employed again!

Once I started Northern Lights I couldn't stop.
In fact I remember being the only person on a train stuck outside London who was disappointed when it started moving after 35 minutes because I only had 4 pages to go of NL and I knew we'd be at Kings Cross before I finished (so I stood on the platform and finished it before I went to meet my friends. Yes. I am very sorry)

Post 8796

Cheerful Dragon

Finished Northern Lights. I'll be starting The Subtle Knife this evening.smiley - smiley

Post 8797

Cheerful Dragon

More than three-quarters through The Subtle Knife. I'll be going straight on to The Amber Spyglass either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I'm sure I read another series of books in quick succession some time in the past year or two. I can't remember what the books were, but I do know that books like this are rare and precious. Hooray for Philip Pullman!smiley - biggrin

Post 8798

Cheerful Dragon

Occasionally I watch a film that's so good in some way that I don't want to watch anything else afterwards for fear of spoiling the effect. I've just finished The Amber Spyglass and I feel the same way. I may not read anything for the rest of today. That trilogy is incredible!

Post 8799

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

My wife and I watched the film 'Golden Compass' several years ago on disc. That is the American name of 'Northern Lights'

About a year ago she found 'The Amber Spyglass' in a pile of loaner books. After reading the introduction I realized it was a trilogy and found the other two on the shelves of a local bookstore. Interestingly here they are classed as 'youth fictionsmiley - erm'

The film seemed to cry out for a sequel (although it ended well before the final events of the first book) we hoped one would become available.

As always the books are far superior to the films.

Have you read A543034 ?

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 8800

Sho - employed again!

they are young adult books.

And I felt the same way when I finished the Amber Spyglass. I just wanted to sit and ponder for ages

Key: Complain about this post