A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 8581

hygienicdispenser

Finally got round to having a go at Middlemarch, having put it aside after only a few pages some years ago. I'm about a third of the way through now, and it really is rather good.

Post 8582

You can call me TC

As a sporadic visitor to this thread and a not quite-so-avid-reader, I wondered if there was a summary of this thread somewhere. Or do I have to plough through the 8500+ posts to decide what to download next on to my Kindle?

Post 8583

Sho - employed again!

I saw your review of the Zone and have it on my "to read" list. Just finished the 2nd of the Mercury books and it was a scream - so naturally when I got to the end of it (on my Kindle) I bought the 3rd.

Since I enjoyed them so much perhaps I ought to try the Hitchhiker books again - last time I gave up because I really didn't like them any more smiley - cry

Post 8584

Cheerful Dragon

TC, there's no summary, and I'm not sure about using this thread for recommendations on what to read next. If you were brave (or mad) enough to work your way through the backlog, you'd find people reading everything from classic literature to the latest bestsellers, with a scattering of non-fiction thrown in for good measure.

It might be better if you told us the kind of things you like to read, and we'll make suggestions based on that.

Post 8585

Sho - employed again!

downloading to your Kindle decisions are made easy TC - there is a Deal of the Day here in Germany and it's always an English book due to the Buchpreisbindung.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_162217787_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000604643&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=ilm&pf_rd_r=1YRYF0AR9Z2T62E7EF77&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=341271307&pf_rd_i=530886031

sometimes they are useless, but I have tried one or two and liked them (in fact the Mercury books I've been reading are the result of a deal of the day)

sometimes you have to be careful because they are book 2 or 3 of a series -but they are generally 99ct and I've had some good ones.

Post 8586

Cheerful Dragon

The Daily Deal is a great way to find books you might not otherwise have read. I got the Hunger Games trilogy that way - not something I thought I'd like. But I agree with Sho. Not every Daily Deal is a 'must buy', so make use of 'Look Inside'. I don't know if Amazon.de has the same thing, but Amazon.co.uk has Monthly Deals, a variety of books for £1.99 or less. Again, not everything will appeal, but I've found a few interesting books there.

Post 8587

Cheerful Dragon

As Captain Cook is a paperback, I've made it my bedtime/bathroom book. It's very well written by a man who served on sailing ships and knew how they work from personal experience. There's a section at the back (Technical Appendix) that describes the various technical terms like bracing, tacking, wearing, etc. A very useful section for anybody who likes the Jack Aubrey novels!

Anyhow, I'm reading Volume 2 of the Cambridge Illustrated History of the Middle Ages (I couldn't get Volume 1). It's one of my victims of tsundoku, having sat on a shelf for more than 10 years!smiley - yikes

Post 8588

Cheerful Dragon

I started Hunger Games on Kindle last night. I'm about half-way through and I'm really enjoying it. This trilogy is going to be the opposite of Harry Potter for me: I've seen the Harry Potter films and I don't want to read the books, whereas I'll read the Hunger Games trilogy but I'm not interested in seeing the films.

I've realised that I'm as guilty of tsundoku on my Kindle as I am with tree books. OK, so I only have about eighty books that I haven't finished on Kindle, but some of those are Complete Works by various authors, so it all adds up.

Post 8589

hygienicdispenser

I've just finished Middlemarch. It really is a very good book, though I must point out that I didn't read it because Michael Gove said to.

Next up, a bit of light relief: We Have Always Lived In The Castle by Shirley Jackson.

Post 8590

hygienicdispenser

I just looked up 'tsundoku', Cheerful Dragon; I'd never come across the word before, but I'm very familiar with the concept. This year I've been making a concerted effort to tackle it. I shifted about 20 books that I knew I was never going to read to charity shops, and I've also successfully read the following books that had been lurking on shelves: Ken Macleod's Engines of Light trilogy, Wolf Hall, One Hundred Years of Solitude, Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy, Absolute Friends by John le Carre and Middlemarch. And I've enjoyed every one. The oldest of those, One Hundred Years of Solitude, I've been carrying around for 30 years.

Post 8591

Cheerful Dragon

I'm not sure I have any books that have been unread for 30 years, although I do have some that have been on my shelves for nearly 20 years. That's bad enough, IMO, and I am trying to do something about it. Anything I read on my Kindle falls in to the Not Read category, but I still have more than 100 tree books that I've never read.

Post 8592

Sho - employed again!

I'm really looking forward to this time next week when I get my annual break from studying and hit the books for fun smiley - smiley

Post 8593

Cheerful Dragon

Finished Captain Cook and started The Englishman, the Moor and the Holy City by Joan Taylor.

Post 8594

hygienicdispenser

Just finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle. What a wonderful book. Short and straightforward, but utterly strange and ultimately very moving. Shirley Jackson really does deserve to be better known than she is.

I'm undecided where to go next. I might take the radical step of going for my very oldest unread book, Dispatches, by Michael Herr; except that that has become some sort of totem of unreadness. It has sat on any number of shelves since 1979 (yes, really) and it's possible that if I ever did read it the seas would boil and the sky would burn and other inconvenient things would happen.

The Little Drummer Girl, by John le Carre, it is then.

Post 8595

KB

That's the one set in Israel, right?

For some reason I can't understand, I have an irritating mental block when it comes to the titles of Le Carre novels. I can never remember which one belongs to which book. It makes it hard when I'm thinking of buying one.

Post 8596

hygienicdispenser

Yep, that's the Israel/Palestine one. I'd never thought that about Le Carre titles before, but if I look behind me I've got Our Game, The Russia House, The Night Manager, The Secret Pilgrim, Single & Single, and I couldn't actually tell you much about any of them other than the fact that the main character of The Night Manager worked as a hotel night manager. Hmm. That's a bit worrying. I'm going to have to read them all again now. Damn you KB.

Post 8597

KB

I think it might be because so many are called "The Something Somebody".

- The Honourable Schoolboy
- The Secret Pilgrim
- The Constant Gardener
- A Most Wanted Man
- The Naive And Sentimental Lover
- A Perfect Spy

...etc. They start to run together in the memory a bit.

Post 8598

Bagpuss

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I've been talked into reading it by a friend of mine (also I keep meaning to read more classics, so a suggestion of a good one was welcome).

I find it picked up around half way through when things actually start happening. The early parade of balls is bearable mainly because of Lizzie's character.

Post 8599

Sho - employed again!

have you read Ivanhoe? That is one of my favourite novels, it has everything. Silas Marner?

Post 8600

Bagpuss

I read Waverley and found it mostly dull. Perhaps Scott improved before writing Ivanhoe. Never read any Eliot.

Key: Complain about this post