A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 8501

sprout

Have been reading:

All of "The land of green plums" by Hertha Muller. It's about her treatment by the Ceaucescu regime in Romania, and it's very well written - a sort of spare, lean style.

Most of "Americana" by Don de Lillo - one of the really brilliant American writers. Narrator gets a little tiresome at times though.

And a fair bit of "The History Man" by Malcom Bradbury - iconic book, but of its time and the protagonists make you want to eat your own fist.

sprout

Post 8502

Bagpuss

Comfort to the Enemy by Elmore Leonard. It's a novella and short stories about US Marshal Carl Webster. Having seen the first season of Justified I'm seeing a lot of similarities between Webster and Raylan Givens.

Post 8503

Sho - employed again!

still Angelmaker - it's totally bonkers but totally engrossing. I missed my bus stop today because I was so deeply into it.

(as recommended to me by Hootoo's very own international superstar FB)

Post 8504

Cheerful Dragon

Just back from my holidays. I finished The Qi Book of the Dead, got to about 90% through I Claudius and managed to get over half-way through Five Weeks in a Balloon. Whatever else Jules Verne did while writing it, he didn't do much research. He puts an active volcano in the middle of Africa, has the Sahara going a lot farther south than it really does and as for his description of what happens when hydrogen ignites...!smiley - yikes I also started A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin and got about 40% o the way through it.

Now I'm home I'll probably focus on tree-books, starting with The Invention of Murder by Judith Flanders. (She wrote the book, she didn't invent murder.smiley - rolleyessmiley - tongueout)

Post 8505

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes

Just got Pratchett's latest, the 40th Discworld novel,
Raising Steam in the post from Amazon.ca
smiley - holly
Best Solstice present ever! I feel like the kiddies do
on Christmas morning.

smiley - book
~jwf~

Post 8506

Bagpuss

Chasing the Dragon by Justina Robson. Has nothing to do with drug taking.

Post 8507

Cheerful Dragon

The Kindle Daily Deal in the UK today includes a selection of books by Neil Gaiman for £1.49 each: Stardust, Neverwhere, American Gods, Anansi Boys and Smoke and Mirrors. I know that some of you have read Neil Gaiman and I'd like to know if any/all of these are worth buying.

I know Stardust from the film and I believe Neverwhere has been adapted for TV but I never saw it. Adaptations aren't a good way to judge if a book is worth buying, anyway. So I'd like some opinions on these books. Are they worth the money. (Answers by 23:50 today - to give me time to buy them!)

Post 8508

Sho - employed again!

Stardust is very different in the book, I loved it. There is so much more background. American Gods & Anansi boys: loved those too. Haven't read the others yet.

I've started Snuff by Terry Pratchett. Ah, how I smiley - loveblush Sam Vimes.

Post 8509

Pastey

Neverwhere was TV first. The book came later.

Post 8510

Cheerful Dragon

I'll take that as a recommendation, Sho. I've found that we enjoy similar books and I've got my £10 Christmas DLA bonus burning a hole in my pocket, so I'll give Neil Gaiman a go. After all, he did write an episode of Doctor Who, so he must be good.smiley - winkeye

Post 8511

Sho - employed again!

I have found that sometimes I really enjoy the books and afterwards I can't remember a thing about them so I'm going to have to read them again. smiley - smiley

supplementary comment: those of you here who use goodreads - is the slightly changed format/layout driving you all as crazy?

Post 8512

KB

I really enjoyed Neverwhere. I'd definitely recommend that. Anansi Boys, I didn't take to so much for some reason. I've a feeling I left it unfinished.

Post 8513

KB

...but yeah, at £1.50 it's worth a punt. You don't even get many second-hand/charity shop books for that price these days.

Post 8514

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

American Gods is great. A bit thick and slow going sometimes but
overall it is great. Anansi Boys is good. A bit self indulgent and
wandery but good. You can't really read one without the other.

At those prices go for it.

smiley - book
~jwf~

Post 8515

sprout

I liked both, but American Gods is particularly fantastic.

Am currently reading "Visit sunny Chernobyl" an entertaining if uneven book about a 'pollution tourist' and his visit to the most polluted places on the planet.

Also Sébastian Faulks "A possible life" which is also excellent.

sprout

Post 8516

Cheerful Dragon

Reading Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. It's a real page-turner, to the extent that I've put the other books I was reading to one side until I've finished it.

Post 8517

Icy North

Oh, I particularly enjoyed The Night Manager - it's one of the few Le Carres I've read more than three times. It would make a very good movie.

Single & Single wasn't so good, IMHO, but he's hasn't written a bad one yet.

I'm reading Ray Bradbury's collected short stories at the moment, then I'll read The Secret Life Of Bletchley Park, which someone gave me for Christmas.

Post 8518

Icy North

oops - spot the post 21 smiley - blush

Post 8519

Sho - employed again!

I finished Angelmaker which got more bonkers and more page-turny as it went on. Loved taht and so instantly read a tiny piece called (I think) Edie Investigates which is set before angelmaker.

I'm now reading The Expats by Chris Pavone. It's about an ex-CIA agent and her IT security expert husband who move to Luxembourg. It's also a page turner, although the timeline jumps about in a sometimes confusing way, the more I read the more understandable it is.

I'm also still reading Snuff (bedtime book) and The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty by Dan Ariely. Very interesting.

Post 8520

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

I have just re read 'The Book of Ebenezer Le Page' by G.B.Edwards published by Penguin.

The book is the life story of Ebby, spent on the island of Guernsey in the Channel Islands from before the first world war up to the late sixties.

Sadly for the Island, the 'famous' book is of course the best selling 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' which could be located almost anywhere and about almost any people.

'Ebenezer Le Page' cannot be anywhere but Guernsey and Ebby could only be a Guernseyman.

Key: Complain about this post