A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 6821

BeowulfShaffer

How far along are you?

Post 6822

Todaymueller

Schrodingers cat . smiley - erm brain hurts. smiley - winkeye

Post 6823

Bagpuss

Coincidentally I've started John Gribbin's In Search of Schrodinger's Cat. So far he's covered (in more-or-less historical order) the model of the atom and wave-particle duality up to about 1920. This is stuff I generally understood, but it's good to go over it again and there's some useful stuff, like telling you to try not to think of electrons orbiting the nucleus, because it's the picture most people have and unhelpful in understanding quantum theory.

Post 6824

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

He also did a sequel "In search of Schrodinger's kittens" about the consequences of the quantum models and the further and continuing paradoxes of reality.

Hard going, I agree but as a science populariser, it's where I was first introduced to these concepts when I found his books on a discarded shelf at college. There I began my own re-education in this subject. I've a stack of John Gibbon's "in search of" books on my shelf now (the big bang, the edge of time..) as well as the Birth of Time which has a useful summary about geological dating methods at the beginning Hutton through Lord Kelvin, Rutherford etc.. smiley - ok

Post 6825

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

iv read bill brysons - it goes on for a while, personally i found the geology swtuff a bit boring, though i didnt know that contour lines cae from the same experiment as finding the mass of every large body in the known solar system

Post 6826

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Edit: John Gribbins not Gibbons. smiley - doh

Post 6827

Mol - on the new tablet

Just read "The Island" by Victoria Hislop. Don't normally go for contemporary fiction, and nearly stopped after I found myself welling up during chapter 3, but returned to it (and polished it off) tonight. Enjoyed the backstory, but not the present-day subplot it was sandwiched in.

Mol

Post 6828

Sho - employed again!

having finished what will probably be my only Stieg Larsson book (turned out to be The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo in English)

I'm now reading Lonely on the Mountains by Louis L'Amour which is the last novel about the Sackett family.

Post 6829

Sho - employed again!

So I finished with my cowboys and am now about to start on The Great Eskimo Vocabulary Hoax - Irreverent essays on the study of language by Geoffrey K. Pullum. Looks interesting.

Post 6830

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I'm 2/3 through Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett at the moment.

Post 6831

Malabarista - now with added pony

Just ripped the packaging off Joann Sfar's "Vampire Loves" smiley - droolsmiley - vampire

No, not some bodice-ripper; it's a comic.

Post 6832

KB

Reading "Batavia's Graveyard", about Dutch seafarers, mutiny, heretics and murder. The author infers a lot of things from evidence that's a bit - well, highly - shaky and tenuous, but the history he does have hard evidence for is very interesting.

Post 6833

Sho - employed again!

That sounds great, KB.

I've just laid aside Reading Lolita in Tehran in favour of The Crowded Shadows by Celine Kiernan instead. 2nd in the Moorhawke Trilogy and jogging along nicely thank you very much.

Post 6834

A Super Furry Animal

Just had a bit of a Banks binge. I've finished Transition - his latest. Still not sure what to think about it...it's not quite a return to form, more of a return to the conspiranoia theories of The Business. But it has some good bits. I'll give it another read in a few months' time.

Then I picked up The Algebraist again - not read this since I bought it when it was first published. It really is good, and much better than any of the more recent Culture novels that he's written (Inversions, Look To Windward, Matter). I recommend it to all lovers of Iain Banks at his best, and all sci-fi readers generally.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 6835

j_z_d

Right now 1/4 of the way through Dance Of Death, another Preston-Child collaboration( http://www.prestonchild.com ).smiley - ok

Post 6836

Thatprat - With a new head/wall interface mechanism

Just finished "The Stars, my Destination", one the the Sci-Fi masterworks series. It was pretty good actually.

I've also read "I luv Halloween", a graphical collection showing the Halloween antics of some kids in a town called Turgid Meadows. I loved it, which probably says something about my sense of homour.

Post 6837

pedro

Finished and re-read most of Marx for Beginners last night (couldn't sleep..). Quite interesting I suppose, but more light than heat I think.

(Note to Ed, he's wrong about the labour theory of value, so all those 'and logically it follows..' bits are wrongsmiley - tongueout)

Post 6838

Bagpuss

Well, I'm still working my way through Rebels and Traitors, and In Search of Schrodinger's Cat, but I've gone and picked up And Another Thing by Eoin Colfer. It's a sequel to a little-known series of books by some guy named Adams. smiley - winkeye We get a bit of a reference when the Guide Mk 2 (that's the evil bird thing from Mostly Harmless) is referred to as H2G2-2.

Post 6839

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Just finished "The Death of Grass" (thankyouthankyouthankyou, Thatprat!). Good stuff! I loved the way the author managed to get across each person's actions, and the changes in them that happened over just a few days, without moralizing about it.

This morning on my way to work, I started one of the books I picked up Friday, "The Order of Odd-Fish". It's by a local author and I guess it's written for teenagers, but after just 50 pages or so in, holy crap is it entertaining already. A bit surreal for 6 AM, but such is life. smiley - laugh

Post 6840

Sho - employed again!

Ice Bound: A Doctor's Incredible Battle for Survival at the South Pole - Dr. Jerri Nielsen with Maryanne Vollers

Key: Complain about this post