A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 5941

sprout

And very good it is too (the film and the comic in fact)

Saw it in France so no James Osterberg, whoever he might be.

sprout

Post 5942

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

>>whoever he might be

smiley - yikes St Iggy of Pop.

Post 5943

MrMaven

Have just finished "Playing with Fire". Things I have learnt running a kitchen and a company by Gordon Ramsey. Excellent. Unless of course you like strong language

Post 5944

Steve K.

"The Zero Game" by Brad Meltzer, a clearance book on cassette for my long drives. I paid next to nothing, and it was too much. A political thriller with a contirved plot, characters from central casting and writing that repeatedly uses the same riffs ad nauseam. Maybe the author's long shot at somebody in Hollywood needing a story for the next mindless action thriller (settings for chases include the roof of Congressional buildings with the Washington Monument in the background, an 8000 foot deep mine shaft, ...)

smiley - runsmiley - crackersmiley - runsmiley - crackersmiley - runsmiley - crackersmiley - runsmiley - crackersmiley - runsmiley - cracker

Post 5945

Cheerful Dragon

HMS Surprise by Patrick O'Brian

Post 5946

A fellow addict!

Post 5947

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

I'm currently reading a book about Floella Benjamin called 'Coming to England'.

Post 5948

Cheerful Dragon

"A fellow addict!"

Not just O'Brian. I'm into C. S. Forrester (Hornblower) and Alexander Kent (Bolitho) as well!

Post 5949

Sho - employed again!

Hornblower I loved. The O'Brian gave me way too much information about the rear-spar-gibbet-top-mains'l-forrard-mast-crow's-nest thingy. So... Alexander Kent. Where does he come? more towards Forrester or more towards O'Brian?

Post 5950

Yeah - but you're not meant to pay any attention to all that fore topgallant huffing. Unless you want to.

Post 5951

KB

After joining Ed in bashing its flabbiness not long ago, I've picked up Mr Fry's 'Ode Less Travelled'. Mainly because I can't remember much about it now.

Post 5952

I bemoaned it rather than bashed it. It's quite useful as a textbook. It just needed the Fry-isms editing out.

Post 5953

Sho - employed again!

thanks to Swallows and Amazons I knew what a jib and a boom were, and I knew about luffing and tacking - after that... there is just no need for it!!

Post 5954

Milos

Ed's just reminded me I've been loaned Persepolis, and should read it soon.

Meanwhile, still plodding through The Hobbit, and I've started on The God Delusion.

Post 5955

Tumsup

About halfway through 'The Stuff of Thought' by Steven Pinker. It's about how our language displays how our minds work.

The idea that language determines the way that we think is making a resurgence today. Pinker shows that that Idea is wrong.

Post 5956

Sho - employed again!

now reading The Return of the King. smiley - elfsmiley - magicsmiley - run

Post 5957

Say what you lik about O'Brian...at last there's no friggin' elves in it. smiley - run

Post 5958

Sho - employed again!

I want more elves, though, not less...
now there's an idea for a nice crossiver fanfic type thingy: Legolas & Gimli finally set off for the undying lands, and run into Captain Aubrey on the way... smiley - run

Post 5959

Dr Maturin would have thm disected in no time.

Post 5960

night-eyes

Just started Ursula Le Guin's Four ways to forgiveness. It seems that I have had this book for ages but somehow managed to forget about it - I actually discovered it while cleaning the house the other day and I am very happy with the finding! smiley - magic
It goes very well so far - I am reading the first story now and I am very curious about the remaining 3!
Making a cup of smiley - tea and going back to reading...

Key: Complain about this post