A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 5081

Bagpuss

I've left of Wilbur Smith for the moment because I picked up Royal Flash, the second of George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman Chronicles in a charity shop. Someone seems to have torn out the sheet containing the title page and copyright information, but apart from that I'm enjoying it.

Post 5082

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

" Perhaps it's better either left in German, or in the Frank Sinatra 'interpretation'"

It was taken from a translation that is considered closest to the original apparently.

Yes, sometimes things are better 'interpreted' than translated faithfully, especially song lyrics and poetry

Post 5083

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

I've been listening to a Nina Hagen version of the 3d Opera recently.

Post 5084

welsh-rabbit

I loved Royal Flash. I read it last year and then went on to read whichever ones the library had in at the time - I just love the footnotes and the way everything is linked to historical facts. I might go see if they've got any more before I go on hols next month.

Finally finished Imperium, which was pretty good, but tailed off a bit at the end. It was useful to have the background of Conn Iggulden's Emperor series to put it all into context. Archangel is still by far my favourite Robert Harris book.

Just quickly re-read an old favourite from the bookshelf for light relief (called "The Spring" - the writing is not brilliant but the story would make a good film).

Next up is Fragile Things - a collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman.

(I've just found out that Imperium is the first part of a trilogy - maybe that's why it didn't end properly!!)

Post 5085

Kelapabesar, back in The Big Durian

Just finished "the Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell (about bloody time) and I'm starting "Labyrinth" by Kate Mosse (not the hot little anorexic Kate MOSS, I hope)although I was almost put off by its having been referred to as chick-lit.

I'll let you know whether I detect any menstrual rhythms in the 700 pages or so. If not, How does it qualify as chick-lit and what freak of nature decided to divide published material up in that fashion anyway?

Post 5086

welsh-rabbit

I've read Labyrinth and wouldn't class it as chicklit.

It's good if you like Timeline and that sort of thing, but not if you're looking for serious thought-provoking literature. I found it fairly predictable, enjoyable summer holiday reading.

But what would I know, I'm a chick!

Post 5087

Kelapabesar, back in The Big Durian

Thanks, Welsh Rabbit (or if you're a chick, would that be "bunny?)Oh, let's stop this, ok?

All I was saying was that I react poorly to reviewers who classify any book by a woman with a female protagonist (I'm looking for an estrogen pun here) as chick lit.

Anyway, I was looking for escapist literature...looks promising.

More anon...

Post 5088

pedro

Just finished Iain Banks' latest, 'The Steep Approach to Garbadale'. It's extremely pish, as it's Banks writing on autopilot, with the same atheist, more-articulate-than-normal, slightly oddly named characters, occasional sexual encounters just for the hell of it, yadda yadda yadda. As (I think) RF said, it's a rewrite of The Crow Road.

This book annoyed the hell out of me in so many ways. I don't think I've read a *lazier* book in my whole life. Banks is obviously past his best, but there are *just* enough hints of his good qualities to make you finish the book. Which makes it even more annoying.smiley - erm

Post 5089

Moving On

Just finished The Mysterious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Holden; the person who lent it to me raved lyrical about it, and I thought it was an interesting enough read to plough thru but it didn't tickle my pickle much.

Currently reading "We Have to Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver; much more my cup of tea - well written, every word and phrase a gem. I thought it would be a lot more shocking than its purported to be,(IMO, it's not; there's far more people about like the narrator than perhaps you'd like to admit) but its still a darn good read.

Post 5090

I didn't want to be impressed by 'The Curious Incident..." - but I was.

Today's purchases were:
'Poetry, 1900-1975' - an anthology, all British, apart from Yeats. Covers all the expected bases, I guess.
A version of the Arthurian legends, based on Mallory by John Steincek. I never even new that he's produced such a thing.

and...

Now...I was havering between starting:
The Name of the Rose by Eco;
Germinal by Zola;
JK Galbraith's memoirs (I did pick it up recently, but didn't have time to get beyond the first line);
Mao by Jung Chang (I've been feeling particularly guilt about not having tackled this - especially since I put in an advance order for it with Amazon a couple of years ago).

But then I was in my local megaTescos, looking for balloons, and I passed by a very reasonably priced copy of...
Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson.
smiley - blush The path of least resistance.

Post 5091

Steincek? Steinbeck, even.

Post 5092

flyingfireballxl5

im reading THE MAYFAIR ITS BY I. N. LONDON
capital books

its about a man who go back to mayfair 10 years later
to find he gets lost he forgot his satnav
it gos on a bit he as to get a redrover ticket
so he can get home.smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Post 5093

van-smeiter

I found the 'Curious Incident...' interesting but not spectacular. I have never understood why it was so raved about. Different, I'll admit, but fairly average overall. I'd categorise it as a book that I'm glad I have read but I would not read again.

Admitedly, I've only re-read two books in my life, but I have marked some books to re-read (when I've run out of books that I want read.)

Post 5094

nicki

hi evadne. we discussed we need to talk about kevin back in april as a couple of us were reading it.

a very good book.

Post 5095

Moving On

hi Nicky - I've just finished the last couple of chapters of it this morning, As you say, a very good book; and it raises a lot of questions, too.

Post 5096

laconian

I've finally got around to reading Wilde's 'De Profundis'. At first I must admit to wondering what all the fuss was about. It was interesting to hear his account of his relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas, but he comes across as rather arrogant, even in his moments of humility. This still interested me becuase it was an interesting representation of his character. I found some of his talk about Christ occasionally tiresome, but it was interspersed with very lucid insights. And now I'm well into the last quarter (or perhaps third) or so, and things are getting really interesting. I see now why such a fuss is made of it.

Post 5097

house_in_the_country

I'm reading Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Taleb & re-reading The Classical World by Robin Lane Fox.

On my next trip to the library I hope to pick up Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials books. At the cinema recently I saw a trailer for The Golden Compass which is due out in December. The trailer was impressive (when are they not?!). And it's books for kids?

Anyone read The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and/or The Amber Spyglass?

Post 5098

laconian

The His Dark Materials Books are some of the few modern books I really treasure. The main characters are children, but it's an awful lot more than your traditional childrens' book. The books grapple with some really interesting ideas of theology and metaphysics, but they're also great stories.

Post 5099

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

I started on James Joyces' 'Ulysses' on Bloomsday Eve, having attended the Bloomsday bash at the local Uni and been bribed with 3 cans of Liffey Water and a cheese sandwich and charmed by the Irish Ambassador's wife in rose pink for the occassion.
Other books; 'Jarhead's' going well but I seem to have misplaced 'Any Old Iron' - it may turn up when I have tidy-up later today - hope so!

Post 5100

Sho - gainfully employed again

Kitchen Confidential is smiley - yikes and smiley - laugh but having lived with a smiley - chef for the last 23 years none of it is surprising.

His Dark materials... well, I thought Northern Lights was so fantastic that I remember starting it on a train in Middlesborough, and being very peeved that the delay wasn't long enough - I got to Kings Cross with about 8 pages to go.

The other two were also rather fantastic, but they did waffle a bit for me. I can't wait to see how the Polar Bears are represented, and Lee Scoresby - what a flippin' fantastic character! Up there with Ivanhoe for me. (that is a massive compliment)

Also currently enjoying Sense & Sensibility.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more