A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 4981

laconian

That's me smiley - biggrin. Perhaps as I grow up they'll lose their charm, but right now I'm one of those Tolkien/cricket types.

Post 4982

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

They're basically for people who haven't discovered literature.
smiley - run

Post 4983

laconian

"They're basically for people who haven't discovered literature."

I say exactly the same thing about people who like the Harry Potter books smiley - biggrin.

Post 4984

You'll have people huffing and puffing, you will. smiley - winkeye

Post 4985

Sho - gainfully employed again

oh for crying out loud!

smiley - tickle Ed... it's like ringing Pavlov's bell with you lot. smiley - rofl

I like the idea of Middle Earth, elves, sweaty men with swords and all that. The writing is painful in places, and some of the characters bring me out in boils (yes, Mr. Bomba-fol-de-rol-dill I'm looking at you) but on the whole they're a ripping good read if you stop picking it apart.

I also love Harry Potter for the same reason. so yah boo sucks to everyone who thinks it's too lowbrow for them.

For fun, to the utter dismay and disgust of several of my co-workers, I read Kafka in German. Highbrow enough for any of ya? Or do I have to plough through the Eternal Golden Braid... again
smiley - nahnah

Post 4986

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

It's (i) one man (ii) on his travels (iii) talking about geology as he visits here, here and here (iv) and occasionally straying into the history of the science. In that order. smiley - book

I've found the Fortey book very easy to read, it repeats some things I already knew and fleshes out detail of others. I was particularly enjoying the chapter on The Alps and how the arguments raged about how they developed. I've currently progressed to the chapter about plates and the emerging understanding of sea-floor spreading, plate tectonics and mountain building and ocean basins.

Apparently his lecture style is more fossilised than the trilobites of the pre-cambrian smiley - winkeye but as a writer he's pretty good. smiley - ok

Post 4987

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

Quantum mechanic scientists appear to like Harry Potter books if my b-i-law is anything to go by. Personally I enjoyed the first 10 pages of Book 1 and then got bored. However Mrs LL who reads Goethe in the original Sprache managed Books 1 & 2 of HP in English. That woman's got some SAUCE!

Post 4988

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

On the light reading exotic front, I should have mentioned, I like stuff like UFO books, and ANCIENT mysteries; why not, there might be something in it all. Hope so. I'd love to see THEM land. "Take me to your leader!!!" etc.

Post 4989

Ah yes. Last time I was in Deutschland, I noticed that that old fraudster von Daeniken is still doing business.

Post 4990

On the non-fiction front I've just got my nose into Simon Winchester's story of the great American earthquake of 1906 - 'A Crack in the Edge of the World'.
So old Von Daeniken is still going strong with his paperback books about Aztec astronaut icons, tall statues on tropical islands and warlike Indians on flying machines and UFOs complete with grainy photos? Can't say I've noticed. But he's only filling a niche. He'll never catch up with the sales of the Bible and its tales of a 900 year old alcoholic ark owner and a man swallowed by a whale and regurgitated after a few days ...... blimey there's a lot of shooting on my TV. It sounds like gunfight at the OK Coral. I'm in the next room but it sounds pretty serious even by CNN standards.

Post 4991

On the fiction side I've just finished reading 'Invisible Man' which took Ellison 7 years to write. Well, it was 7 years well spent. The writing is sometimes as taught as the proverbial piano string as the tension builds up.
It's a book to read when you know you won't be disturbed. Remember to take the phone off the hook. The 4 telephone calls interruptions, 3 for Mrs LL, in the hour when I was on a nail-biting edge in the Harlem riot scenes have left my nerves in shreds. Highly recommended.

Post 4992

Milos

I've just started the Stephanie Plum series again before the next installment comes out next month. I'm about halfway through Two for the Dough. Whole series will probably take me about two weeks.

Post 4993

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

>I bet you these Tolkien books appeal to you chaps who like to discuss cricket<

Wrong! smiley - smiley I smiley - love cricket and as you will have noticed, have not a lot of the time for the old elitist bore and his hairy-footed thugs.

smiley - shark

Post 4994

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

And I can't stand cricket and quite like Tolkien (although I prefer the films since they have less of the interminable boring bits). Tried rereading the Narnia stories recently and just couldn't do it. Things I didn't notice as a child grated so much.

Post 4995

Well I don't like cricket *or* Tolkein. smiley - tongueout

The difference is that I don't understand cricket. Sport generally is a mystery to me. I'm willing to accept, however, that many people get a lot out of it. As Lincoln said "For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like." My loss.

But I *do* understand books. Books are great. At least, *good* books are. Bad books, on the other hand, are an offence against everything that's decent in this world, in much the same way that the very existence Budweiser is grossly offensive to drinkers of Budvar. I could go on in great detail about precisely why LoTR is awful. It's not simply a matter of taste - I'm right and anyone who likes it is wrong, wrong, wrong.

smiley - winkeye

Post 4996

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Great quote from the boy Abe. I'm nicking that.smiley - ok

smiley - shark

Post 4997

Yup - "A plagiarist copies, a genius steals" (Jean Genet, I think)

Post 4998

'We're all bloody thieves at the end of the day' - Elvis Costello (I know...smiley - winkeye)

smiley - shark

Post 4999

Hmmm...It appears to be "Talent borrows, genius steals." It seems to be attributed to several people. Most popular is Wilde - it's quoted on various Morrissey-related sites - but then everything's attributed to Wilde.

I'm not convinced. I'm fairly sure it was Gide, and that the first half was something more dismissive than "Talent...". But I do sometimes confuse Genet with Gide.

Post 5000

Not a problem I ever have...

Perhaps I should have said

'Plagiarise, Plagiarise,
Remember why the good God made your eyes
(Only please remember to be calling it 'research')'

Tom Lehrer.

smiley - shark

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more