A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 4961

nicki

Still havent got furthe than half way through the hobbit. found i very dull.

The screwtape letters is a really good book

Post 4962

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

smiley - musicalnote Hey doll merry doll Tom Bombadilo...smiley - musicalnotesmiley - ill

Never trust a man with hairy feet.

Post 4963

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

I've never finished Return of the King. Managed Fellowship all right, Two Towers was a struggle, got a third through Return of the King and decided life was way too short.

And Tom Bombadill just needs hitting over the head with a shovel.

smiley - ale

Post 4964

As for those ***kin' hobbits...they should set a pack of orcs on 'em.

Post 4965

KA...many people have observed that LoTR deteriorates as it goes on.

Post 4966

Thatprat - With a new head/wall interface mechanism

I've started reading "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People"

Oh my God! What a Revalation! (Seriously)

I never thought you could ram so much religous propaganda into a "serious" book.

No, really, read it. One example that had me wanting to set fire to the copy I brought a few days ago was where the author is talking about NLP and other self-programming techniques, and states that they appear to be based on what people have read in the bible. smiley - grrsmiley - grrsmiley - grr

Post 4967

Sho - employed again!

well I'm nearly done with this year's go at LOTR - well, I've nearly finished The Two Towers and it rocks.

More smiley - elf please. Although you can keep Tom fol-de-roll Bombadillo with his bloomin' yellow boots. Gah.

But I have to say, Faramir makes me want to gag. I want Boromir back, now there's a man with a sword to get sweaty with...

oh, where was I? smiley - blush sorry smiley - run

Post 4968

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Started reading, Earth: An Intimate History by Richard Fortey - truly fascinating book about geology. smiley - smiley

Post 4969

Whatever gets your rocks off. smiley - winkeye

(Sorry - I couldn't resist.)

Post 4970

Metal Chicken

Clive, That's a good choice smiley - ok just learned enough without being off-puttingly technical. If you like Richard Fortey's style, Trilobite's worth a read too.

I'm currently reading Absolute Altitude by Martin Buckley. It's subtitled a hitchhiker's guide to the sky and is a combination of 2 of my interests - travel stories and flying.

Removed

Post 4971

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

This post has been removed.

Post 4972

Cheerful Dragon

My left hand is acting up right now, so I have trouble holding paperbacks. I've had to put the ones I've been reading to one side for a while and go for some hardbacks that I can rest on my lap or on a table. I'm reading Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger, and Ingenious Pursuits by Lisa Jardine. The latter is about the nature of scientific endeavours in the 17th-18th century, when they didn't make the distinction between 'Art' and 'Science' that we do nowadays.

Post 4973

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Oh dear Bod.

I see the Sainted Christopher Tolkien (is that fawning enough?) is beyond criticism then. n the BBC at least.

smiley - shark

Post 4974

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Did the naughty Shark get modded? Do we not approve of little Chris picking through the bones of his father's leftovers?

smiley - ale

Post 4975

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

I was going to say that I think Orwell's 1984 is a kind of SF and it will be read in 100 years but on reflection I think the way things are going it's now more than probable it will be banned before the 100 years deadline. One recalls the brainwashed Nazis marching round the Parisian bookshops with their 8,000 banned authors lists!

Still ploughing through Ellison's Invisible Man - the end finally in sight!
Quote from Mrs LL (Thomas Bernhard fan): 'Why don't you read thin books for a change?'
'Well I do review poetry books,' I replied.
'They don't count!" she quickly countered.

Snookered again!

Post 4976

nicki

Finished run baby run and now reading the single issue by al hsu

Post 4977

Well, let's see.

1) I suggested that LotR might have benefited from being edited properly.
2) Suggested Tom Bombadil was a less than useful literary character
3) Used a very specific word of Indian origin (strangely to do with picking over dead meat) in connection with that gentleman, yes.

Ho hum

smiley - shark

Post 4978

laconian

I think Tom Bombadil was something Tolkien particularly wanted kept in. But as a character, he doesn't contribute much to the story.

Post 4979

pedro

Terry Pratchett said that if you read LoTR as a kid and didn't love it, there was something wrong with you. If you read it again as an adult and *still* loved it, there was something wrong with you. I loved it as a child and decided to reread it when the films came out. I got to page 32, IIRC, before I thought I had better things to do. Saying that, I read it once a year or so til my early 20s.

Maybe there's something slightly wrong with me, then.smiley - biggrin

Post 4980

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

Take a survey. I bet you these Tolkien books appeal to you chaps who like to discuss cricket.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more