A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 201

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

I read that book before I started my degree. - it's a nice introduction to philosophy. I think it's Jostein Gaarder - but close enough.

Post 202

Nightshade, Guardian Angel and Grey Lady

Have you read any of his other books? Sorry about the spelling mistake...

Post 203

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Don't worry about it. smiley - winkeye

actually no. smiley - sadface

Post 204

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

Just to keep you updated, I'm almost finished "Almost Like a Whale" and am about to start Lord of the Rings ... I thank you ...

*bows and exits stage front, straight into the Orchestra pit and ends up wedged in the 2nd Oboe*

Post 205

DoctorGonzo

'Hooking Up' by Tom Wolfe. It's a new collection of journalism and short stories - and it's pretty good so far. I've got 'Heroes' by John Pilger queued up to read, and over the weekend, I read all four books of HHGTTG - I hadn't read them in about six or seven years... smiley - yikes

Post 206

Researcher 99947

Jingo by Terry Pratchett

Post 207

Perium: The Dauntless /**=/

Band of Brothers-Stephen Ambrose
Hearts in Atlantis-Stephen King
Tao of Physics-I don't remember

yes all at the same time.smiley - winkeye

Post 208

tdbiii

East of Ealing byt Robert Rankin

Post 209

Munchkin

Yay to Rankin
As to what I am reading, Perelandra by C.S. Lewis. Very well written, but if you thought the Christian allegory in the Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was heavy handed prepare to be slugged around the back of the head by this one.

Post 210

Cardinal Noah (is now back!!!)

on the noo, i'm reading Coram Boy, by, um,erm, Jamila someone!
smiley - cool

Post 211

Sol

Some highly coloured peice of space opera called "Jinx on a Terran Inheritance" by Brian Daley, which once I'd got it home turns out to be the second in a series which doesn't end with this book.

Since it is a battered old copy picked up in a second hand shop, wouldn't you just bet that all the others'll be out of print, even if I could bear to pay top whack for a new book?

I'll never find out how it ends...

Post 212

random fat bird

I am reading two books at the minute, and have been waiting for them to come out in paperback for aaaaaaaaaaaaages (insert impatient gesticulation of your choice here).
First is Merrick by Anne Rice, the seventh book (I was right Clive if you are anywhere near, I counted, how SAD!!??) in the Vampire Chronicles and very good it is too, so far *grin*
The second is The Truth by PTerry. To be honest I have only read the first chapter or so, and am quite disturbed by all the '--ing' in it. Ne'er mind, I'll copesmiley - smiley

Oooh, I also seem to be halfway through a Carl Hiaasen book, and am suppsed to be halfway through a book on Burma for essay prep smiley - winkeye

Heigh ho!
smiley - angel

Post 213

Gedge :-)

You better be prepared for alot of --ing in The Truth, it's the running joke of the book smiley - winkeye

Gedgesmiley - biggrin

Post 214

random fat bird

postscript:

DoctorGonzo, don't know where you are, but where I am there are five HHGTTG bookssmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smiley Rah!

eris

Post 215

Lenny (Lynette)

Whit by Iain Banks. V. good so far!
Also, the Castaway book. It has pictures in it! smiley - smiley

Post 216

DoctorGonzo

Tsk.

I have a copy of HHGTTG that has the first four books in one volume. I know about Mostly Harmless - I just failed to mention it smiley - tongueout

Post 217

random fat bird

Was feeling a wee bit pedantic, an upshot of having to find enough stuff to do to fill an entire week without lectures. Please forgivesmiley - sadface

Post 218

Cadi Merchionamercheluned

CS Lewis' books are GREAT. I've just finished "The Lord of the Rings" (again - I have read it about six times, and I always cry at the end), and I'm into Sense and Sensibility. I'm also working my way through Tamora Pierce's "Tortall" series (both of them) I'm waiting for "Lady Knight" to come out (or be in the library) and I'm looking for "Lioness Rampant". But if I don't find them, the next book on my list is "Gone with the Wind". I've read it before, but only once, so I'm going to have another crack.
As soon as the next Harry Potter book hits the library shelves, I'll be reading that.

Cadi.

Post 219

DoctorGonzo

*considers*

OK - you're forgiven smiley - winkeye. What on earth do you study that has such stimulating lectures? Not Chemistry, I'll bet.

I'm on to Heroes now, with Ralph Ellison's 'Invisible Man' queued for reading next smiley - smiley

Post 220

Researcher 179388

Having seen Simon Callow in 'The Mystery of Charles Dickens' last week, it has dawned on me how few of Dickens' books I have actually read.

So I am starting off with his series of Christmas stories, the first being 'A Christmas Carol'.

Key: Complain about this post