A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The worst Song Ever?

Post 161

psychocandy-moderation team leader

>I was slagging off the bands- which are truly sad and lacking in talent- and not their fans.<

And by *that*, I mean all of the bands I named, which include the awful '80s pop and grunge stuff, too. Not picking on the one specific genre, I don't mean to sound unfair!

The worst Song Ever?

Post 162

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

<>

I think you're confusing "goth" with "b*ll*cks that middle-class-but-oh-so-depressed listen to.*

There is a lot of decent goth out there, you just have to look.

And, between you and me, if my-very-good-friend-who-shall-remain-nameless describes Evanescense as "very good, very traditional goth" one more time I'll probably get quite cross with him!

The worst Song Ever?

Post 163

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Anybody seen a "teenagers" around here? Mine seems to have gone missing.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 164

psychocandy-moderation team leader

>I think you're confusing "goth" with "b*ll*cks that middle-class-but-oh-so-depressed listen to.*

There is a lot of decent goth out there, you just have to look.<

Point taken. Perhaps you're right! Any good suggestions?

Are you not a fan of Evanescence? I've only ever heard one song, can't say I liked it. They didn't sound very "goth" to me, though.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 165

Kat

I guess it's all a question of taste really. I don't mind Dido - can take or leave. On the subject of bland though - Travis have a tendency to send me to sleep gotta admit. I have to admit there is very little that is so bad I'd rather have my teeth drilled although Billie Piper comes close smiley - smiley.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 166

Al Johnston

Worst ever has to be Gloria Gaynor's "I will survive".

I'd like to guarantee that the next person who sings it in my hearing won'tsmiley - evilgrin

The worst Song Ever?

Post 167

The Groob

Aye. Gloria Gaynor. The worst thing is girlies who think it's their 'anthem' (because their last boyfriend dumped them. It's all HIS fault. All men are barstewards. Nothing to do with her being a p1ss poor excuse for a person and getting herself dumped).

The Corrs. Anything they do. My ewif says "what is there to dislike?" I think that's their MO: "don't risk anything so we don't offend anyone". Bland bland bland.

Most of the music in TV commercials seems bland. There's one with a girl whose name I don't know singing "the other side of the world". Her vocal style seems contrived to me. Same for David Gray.

When did you last hear music advertised on telly and within just a few seconds of music think "That sounds catchy! I'd like to hear more!"?

The worst Song Ever?

Post 168

A Super Furry Animal

>> XTC? Dido? Marvin Gaye? Madness? Producers of the *worst* songs *ever*? <<

I don't believe anyone actually said XTC were amongst the "producers of the worst songs ever".

If they did, and have the guts to admit it...OUTSIDE! NOW!

Even Blues Shark, who slags off 80s music no end, likes XTC...who...er...produced most of their stuff in...er...the 80s.

Along with Kate Bush. And Depeche Mode. String made a record or two. That band who everyone loves from Ireland...er...were big in that decade. That weird fella with the odd eyes had a hit or two...on his own and in conjunction with that Iranian bloke's band.

OK, there's dross...that mad American woman who everyone seems to be convinced has an ounce of talent, to start with (No, not Debbie Harry. She has actual talent).

RFsmiley - evilgrin

The worst Song Ever?

Post 169

FordsTowel

I think that the worst song ever (and with luck, you'll never hear it) was written by Mick Jagger. He only did it to get out of a contract that required five more songs from him. After singing it to the record company execs, they let him walk without wanting to hear the other four.

Now THAT's a bad song!!

smiley - towel

The worst Song Ever?

Post 170

A Super Furry Animal

Who was the recording artist who was paid $80m to stop singing?

RFsmiley - evilgrin

The worst Song Ever?

Post 171

The Groob

Anyone remember the Saturday Superstore song? It went "eenie meenie minie mo, one of us has got to go!" sung by Sarah Greene.

The Eastenders song "Something outta nothing" was pretty bad.

"Just say no" by Grange Hill cast. (When they performed the song in the US some of the guys were off their nuts).

"Brontosaurus" by David Bellamy?

The worst Song Ever?

Post 172

Wile E Quixote

>> XTC? Dido? Marvin Gaye? Madness? Producers of the *worst* songs *ever*? <<

Marvin Gayesmiley - huhsmiley - sadface Now, I don’t want to form a lynch mob here, but...smiley - evilgrin

Actually, there’s loads of songs here that I love. Too many to admit to.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 173

The Groob

I remember on the Wogan Show (probably late 80s or early 90s) there was a group singing a song called "You're an Indian". The strange thing was it was an incredibly weak song by a group I'd never heard of and never heard of since. It was so weak I've wondered if it was a bizarre joke ever since.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 174

The Groob

Oh! How could I forget! Car 67!

The worst Song Ever?

Post 175

Elentari

Anything by The Streets or Goldie Looking Chain.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 176

bawimeko

Great artists; bad songs:
-Revolution Nr. 9 by the Beatles (the most skipped track on a Beatles album)
-Ebony and Ivory; two great artists (Wonder/Macca), soppy song
-any ballad by Michael Jackson in the last 15 years
-Russians by Sting
-Living in America; James Brown

The worst Song Ever?

Post 177

Medibot

That bloody DJ Otzi Hey Baby with the oo-ah bits! It makes me want to rip my ears off! As does Life by Des'ree. Anything by Chas and Dave and Dire Straits. Matinee by Franz Ferdinand. I could go on and on....

The worst Song Ever?

Post 178

The Groob

Oh yes, DJ Otzi. "Ooh ah". Contrived hooks. Hate 'em.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 179

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

I'd like to put forward 'Almaz' by Randy Crawford.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 180

urchinvic - the budgies are restless

i agree with medibot, that hecking DJ Otzi-absolute-load-of-complete-crap-to-the-extent-that-i-want-to-drill-my-ears, makes me want to kick over a bin (and then pick it up again cos everyones staring). somebody should give him a swift boot in the groin area. And the gimps at my tin pot local radio who think it's "retro". gaaaah!

Key: Complain about this post