A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Hidden

Post 121

Mu Beta

"See posts 83 and 88"

I've seen them. Go away.

My post about Katie Melua was carefully worded. I don't actually like anything she's done and, of course, she cannot hold a candle to Kate Bush (heard the latest song this morning - sounds great). But she is sweet and has a nice voice, and that's a fact we can't deny.

And, yes, I did realise that I had the wrong number of bicycles after posting. This doesn't disguise the fact that it's a bloody awful song.

B

Hidden

Post 122

me[Andy]g

As far as I can see, Mike Batt wrote most of the songs on her last album as well, including the over-used "Closest Thing to Crazy"... were it not for the DFS advert, I might like that song more.

On a totally unrelated note, did anyone like MC Hammer? smiley - erm

smiley - smiley

Hidden

Post 123

Kat

He was better than Vanilla Ice smiley - smiley.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 124

taliesin

Just popping in to change the thread title. 'Hidden' is rather ambiguous. Or ubiquitous.. smiley - erm

The worst Song Ever?

Post 125

Orcus

Has anyone ever managed a larger pair of troosers than MC Hammer? smiley - laugh

The worst Song Ever?

Post 126

A Super Furry Animal

>> And I'm glad I was too young to get into music in the early 1980s. <<

Why? Some fine music was made in that era, including, but not restricted to, TBSGTNIT.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

The worst Song Ever?

Post 127

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

From the 60's -
Yummy Yummy yummy
I got Love in my tummysmiley - musicalnote

The worst Song Ever?

Post 128

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Duran Duran? Two good singles followed by a flacid career of nonsense. The 80's were (mostly (almost entirely?)) dreck and only hold any appeal for those that lived through them.

As for the Stone/Melua vs Bush, well, really, Kate is was and always shall be a true musical heavyweight. The others are just fluff, like James Blunt they are music for people who don't really like music. Fit for mothers day gifts and very little else.

As for Mike Batt, to describe him as a singer/songwriter is a bit innacurate. So far as I know he has never been a singer (except possibly the Wombles theme). His list of credits is quite lengthy though, having worked with, amongst others Robyn Hitchcock (producer), Captain Sensible (writer/producer/arranger) and XTC (arranger). All of whom are a damn sight more interesting than Katy Melua.

smiley - shark

The worst Song Ever?

Post 129

The Groob

To begin comparing KM to KB you must have a good sense of humour. KB = genius. KM = 'she'll look good on CD covers and so that's enough for most mugs to buy it'.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 130

psychocandy - Moderation Team Leader

>The 80's were (mostly (almost entirely?)) dreck and only hold any appeal for those that lived through them.<

Mostly, or almost entirely, dreck are pretty accurate summations of the music of the '80s indeed. There was some decent indie stuff in the early '80s, but the Top 40 and pop music of the era is mainly a waste.

As of the '90s, and even more so of the present. *sigh* Popular music has become such a wasteland. smiley - erm

The worst Song Ever?

Post 131

The Groob

Music changed beyond all recognition in the 80s didn't it. At the start of the 80s it was kinda post-punk and synths were very popular ('no guitars were used in the making of this album') but by the end of the 80s it was mostly pumping bass lines.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 132

Kat

Blues - how you dismiss the entire 80's as totally rubbish only appealing to those who lived through it?. Surely you are not refering to the decade of Madness, The Specials, The Smiths, The Cure, The Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division/New Order, The Stone Roses, The Beloved, The Jesus and Mary Chain and Elvis Costello. Not to mention Duran and A-ha who were both pretty decent for pop bands certainly compared to the manufactured tripe you get these days aiming at the same market.

Admittedly things went downhill after 1987 with the dominantion of Stock,Aitken and Waterman s-hit(e) factory and I've lost my love from Wham massively over the years but every decade has its tripe alongside its gold.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 133

The Groob

Psychocandy I've been thinking a lot about this recently and to be perfectly honest I think the American/rap influence hasn't done music any favours. It may be just me but music around the early 80s had a certain British humour about it. It didn't take itself too seriously. Now it all seems so deadly serious.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 134

The Groob

Hey it all comes down to opinions but regarding the SAW debate I thought they made some good strong pop songs. Admittedly they had a manufactured 'this is the chorus' feel to them but the songs are still remembered and I can only name two number 1s this year off the top of my head - Amarillo and You're beautiful.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 135

Kat

If you really want bad then this came to me whilst compiling the list for the "People we love" thread because I ended up listing most of the people involved in the magnificent Dr. Who revival. I couldn't bring myself to list one of the people involved despite the fact that she is a pretty good actress who in Rose Tyler has helped create a wonderful character which lends a sense of reality and humaness to the good Doctor.

Sadly her crime against music although a one off committed a tender age is heinous enough to bar the love.

So after me #Why do I bear a grudge against Billie Piper? Cos of cos I want to, cos I want to# euh - makes me shudder just to think about it smiley - wah

Acting's gain is music's gain too - rather like in the case of Mark Wahlberg.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 136

psychocandy - Moderation Team Leader

>Psychocandy I've been thinking a lot about this recently and to be perfectly honest I think the American/rap influence hasn't done music any favours. It may be just me but music around the early 80s had a certain British humour about it. It didn't take itself too seriously. Now it all seems so deadly serious.<

I'm quite keen on American punk from the late '70s and very early '80s (think Dead Kennedys, Fear, Social Distortion, et. al.) and some of our better indie stuff (think Replacements, Husker Du). I think that even worse than the rap/hip-hop contribution is the godawful descent into grunge and NuMetal. I agree with the person who said that it's no wonder Kurt Cobain killed himself, if he knew his band would spawn all this utter s**t!!

The worst Song Ever?

Post 137

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

>Madness, The Specials, The Smiths, The Cure, The Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division/New Order, The Stone Roses, The Beloved, The Jesus and Mary Chain and Elvis Costello<

Other than the Specials and a copy of Declans greatest hits I own nothing by any of those bands and will actively avoid ever having to listen to them (save Madness. I don't need to own anything by them as you can still hear them on the radio everyday.). Though I do have a sneaking regard for the Sisters calling their greatest hits A Slight Case of Overbombing.

Some great albums of the eighties for me where, in no particular order - Altered Images first (produced by Steve Severin of the Banshees), Fresh Fruit... by the Dead Kennedys, Eliminator by ZZ Top, all three Rainmakers albums, Hounds of Love by Kate Bush, Computer World by Kraftwerk, The Black Album by the Damned.

There are probably others but mostly the music of the eighties was utter cobblers. It nearly all sounds dated by todays standards due to a slavish following of a blind alley in electronic drums and bass effects that was utterly ridiculous.

smiley - shark

The worst Song Ever?

Post 138

martifartfast

DJ Sammy, 'heaven' it certainly wasn't!

The worst Song Ever?

Post 139

h2g2Support

I think virtually anything by the Cranberries qualifies...I'm thinking 'Zombie'... But that song of theirs called 'I Shot John Lennon':

With a Smith & Wesson 38, John Lennon's life was no longer a debate.

Apparently. Awful band.

The worst Song Ever?

Post 140

boddhisatva

Surely "Sound of the Underground" by Girls Aloud qualifies? Noticed that their new album has gone into the remainder bins already!! Ha!

Key: Complain about this post