A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What drives you absolutely spare?

Post 1

Is mise Duncan

I'm not talking about the big things we all hate, but those little things that just make you want to scream.

For example, my brother absolutely hates a pull handle on a push door - it looks like you should pull it to open and you nearly yank your arm off trying before some smug so and so pushes it open.

What gets your goat?

Post 2

Niz (soon to be gone)

Tannoy announcers in supermarkets.

old people

young people

people who sit next to me on buses

cats

Kilroy

Soap Operas

Last of the Summer Wine / Allo allo - Sunday night comedy in general

Blokes who only talk about football because they have nothing else to say!!!

Adverts

I think I should stop now or I could be some time.

Post 3

Hati

Crumpled toothpaste tubes.smiley - sadface
Smelly socks under the bed. smiley - sadface

Post 4

Sho - employed again!

People who leave drawers a little bit open instead of closing them properly.

Post 5

Sol

people cracking their knuckles. No, actually not cracking them, pulling their fingers one by one out of their sockets.

people who when they get off escalators walk really slowly so that if you are behind them you have to do a truly creative little dance step to avoid crashing into them.

Post 6

Hati

The word 'temporarily' smiley - sadface

Post 7

?

Not being able to come up with some little thing that drives me nuts while I know the list is miles long...

Post 8

Orcus

Students who mill about in doorways and at the top of staircases, thus blocking them completely. Can't they find somewhere less inconvenient to others to talk. Also, for three years they seem to forget the basics of the green cross code - look for cars guys before you cross the road, they hurt if they hit you. smiley - bigeyes

(And yeah, I know there's loads here so I'll get lambasted for this, and yeah I was one once and I did all this, but it still gets my goat).

Fussy eaters (as dicussed with Dr Kareem earlier)

Post 9

?

Yes, and most people (not all of them) from a certain nation that is known for eating lots of salad (and frogs), especially when they're abroad and don't stop moaning about how much better it is at home.

But most of all: political correctness! smiley - grrsmiley - steamsmiley - grr

Post 10

Sho - employed again!

And people who say "what about shoes then" - when I tell them I'm vegetarian

Post 11

?

I understand, I don't eat shoes either... smiley - winkeye

Post 12

james

how they move the coffee from ailse to ailse on a regular basis in the supermarket i shop at.can never remember to get coffee filters.this is the first post to a conversation i've made on my original account just got my myspace to work,kept thinking Key=19588......had to be my h2g2 password.my real one had become part of the introduction update in my memory.anyone remember how exactly you were asked for your password before,if the old login page could be put up it might jog others memorys having this problem,but that one just asked for your e-mail address didn'it?.absolutely spare is when i do'nt know when,how much,or even if i will be getting paid for a current job i'm on.working on one of those now,it makes it hard to get motivated,still have to put forth my best effort,but i am dragging it out a bit

Post 13

J'au-æmne

I have the really bad habit of paying attention to whoever's at the next computer to me, and what they're doing, and whatever conversations are going on in the room. Hence I get really *very* annoyed with people who are incapable of using a search engine for a basic task... and wander round saying, "Whats XXX's website?" where XXX is the name of a big corperation for example the BBC. I also get irritated by people who don't save regularly while they are doing their work and then have minor hysterics when the file server goes down; its happened about 15 times this term (They need a new one) and people should've learned by now...smiley - winkeye

Post 14

?

Before the "interregnum" you were asked for your e-mail, and then for a password underneath. smiley - smiley

Coffee I can always find (when I need my fix I go by smell), but the filters seem indeed to have a knack for hiding themselves. Weird, really... smiley - erm Last time they were next to the products to unblock drains... I don't really see a connection. smiley - online2long

Post 15

MaW

- people in front of me in queues
- people behind me in queues
- people who can't work out the simplest thing on an application like Word if they aren't explicitly shown how to do it (this includes such things as invoking the help system. I'm not expecting miracles, but you'd think people might be able to at least get a help window to appear. I mean, what else do they think the Help menu is for?)
- buses
- other people on buses
- people in large groups (I think being part of a group must divide each member's IQ by the number of people in the group or something like that)
- football

...I'll stop. For now.

Post 16

Is mise Duncan

Registration forms for website that have a "State" and a "Country" box but won't allow you to continue unless you pick a U.S. State....even though every country in the World is available.

Post 17

MaW

Oh those are awful... and the ones that require you to have a postcode, but claim that UK postcodes are invalid...

Post 18

Metal Chicken

Photocopier lids being left vertical after use (I can't walk past them without feeling compelled to shut the gaping thing)
People who leave their mobile phones switched on and unattended with very loud, irritating, bleeping ringtones.
Sofas (same problem as photocopier lids but you can't make the back of a sofa lie flat on the cushions.)

The shoe thing

Post 19

Kobolt - aka 'I didn't fail, I found 5000 ways that don't work'

In reply to 'what about the shoes' this may have something to do with a vegetarian not wanting to wear leather as it comes from an animal.

1) even though I am a 14-year old boy, FOOTBALL and FOOTBALLERS
2) Impatient people who ask you the same question 15000 times even though you tell them you'll be there in a second
3) People in computer labs who are so afraid of the things that they have to ask me how to do every little thing instead of trying the help system, or the technician

The shoe thing

Post 20

MaW

People who leave doors open, when the door has a sign on it saying "Please keep this door closed"

Key: Complain about this post