A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Near death experience

Post 15121

Christopher

I thought it deviated when it got to Uranus.

Near death experience

Post 15122

Gnomon - time to move on

Bode's law was accurate from Venus out as far as Uranus. It was 22% out for Neptune. Bode pulled the wool over our eyes and had a different rule for Mercury, a fact which is glossed over in all the descriptions.

Near death experience

Post 15123

IctoanAWEWawi

a quick interlude - what's the difference between a preterite form and the past participle?

Near death experience

Post 15124

KB

The past participle is used to form the imperfect tense - the 'gone' in 'I have gone'. The preterite form is yer basic past tense - "I walked, I went..."

Sometimes the past participle's no different from the form of the verb in the preterite.

Near death experience

Post 15125

IctoanAWEWawi

sorry, I'm not seeing the difference between the use of 'gone' and the use of 'walked'?

Near death experience

Post 15126

IctoanAWEWawi

that sounded a little short - didn't mean to be and appreciate your help. But I don;t see how 'I have gone' is not the same usage as 'I have walked'?

Near death experience

Post 15127

KB

Well, level of recency is perhaps one difference. Think of:

"I ran away in 1822" (pret.) vs. "I have run away in 1822" (past imperfect)

vs. "I have run away today". (also past imperfect).

Near death experience

Post 15128

KB

You misunderstood - "I have gone" and "I have walked" are the same tense - but they are both different from "I went" and "I walked".

Near death experience

Post 15129

KB

Post 15127 - made a mistake there - that's not the past imperfect smiley - doh. But that's not really relevent to your question.

Near death experience

Post 15130

Wand'rin star

Glad you caught it. Thought I was going to have to look for my pedant's hat. I think it's in the attic with everything else that I want to keep but have no immediate uswe for.
What's the difference between an attic and a garret?smiley - starsmiley - star

Near death experience

Post 15131

KB

If there's a 'starving artist' in it, it's a garret.

Near death experience

Post 15132

Gnomon - time to move on

If the artist is a song-writer, though, he can write a classic in his attic.

Near death experience

Post 15133

Cheerful Dragon

According to my dictionary, a garret is 'a top-floor or attic room, esp. a dismal one', or just an attic. So there is no real difference. (Although I don't think you'd find Steve McAttic running a detective bureau on Hawaii Five-O.smiley - tongueout)

Near death experience

Post 15134

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>> Do we use other philosohers' names as adjectives? <<

Indeed the list is as long as there are philosphers, if we strictly apply them just to their own works, theories, hypotheses and resulting conventions, forms and institutions.

And there are quite a few that have become more generalised into the common language and used with no real prior or deeper knowledge of the specific philosophist. Murphy's Law spring to mind.

And don't forget Platonic relation ships - a flat bottomed barge used by visiting relatives (especially inlaws and exes).

The list of things described as 'Aristotelian' would fill huge rooms in the Vatican.

But I did not come here to engage in 'Socratic' dialog or drag us into Kafkasesque moribundancies.

Rather, I saw an opportunity to share a gem from Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel "Small Gods" where the ancient philosopher Didactylos ponders the great question of Life, the Universe and Everything:

"Life in this world', he said, is, as it were, a sojourn
in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we see of
the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than
bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of
the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from
which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and
we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices
to the unseen and say, humbly, 'Go on, do the Deformed Rabbit...
It's my favourite'."

Among the other ancient philosphers of Discworld we find Aristocrates and my personal favourite 'Orinjcrates'. An excellent example of a joke that will be lost on anyone not old enough to remember when Orinjes came in crates.
smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Near death experience

Post 15135

PS:

smiley - bigeyes
And there it is! The ultimate question! "What can we know of
reality?" To Douglas Adams the answer was 42. To Pratchett
the answer becomes a shadow puppet of a deformed rabbit.

If properly backlit the number 42 would cast a shadow on
the cave wall that looked remarkably like a deformed rabbit.
smiley - bigeyes
The 2 being the shape of a rabbit's head and forepaws in profile
and the 4 representing the rotating whirlwind of its hindlegs pumping
furiously to escape reality.
See: smiley - runsmiley - space42 smiley - run

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Near death experience

Post 15136

Gnomon - time to move on

When my daughter was about five, I told her about Plato's cave.

"So their heads are fixed so that they can't turn them and see anything except the shadows on the wall? Oh look, there's my nose!"

Near death experience

Post 15137

Wand'rin star

In 1961 I spent my first undergraduate term doing subsid philosophy and I an very upset that when I asked the question above the merry hours spent discussing all things Platonic(and a few that weren't) had completely slipped my memory. Eheu fugaces.smiley - starsmiley - star

Near death experience

Post 15138

Wand'rin star

from the Guardian's obituary today of the Queen's milliner:"Serge and Simone married in penury in 1939. They lived in a Paddington attic - a garret, plus bathroom, with furnishings made by Serge"smiley - starsmiley - star

Near death experience

Post 15139

Serge is some sort of distressed flannel isn't it? A bit ironic for a milliner, wot! Or should I be thinking haberdasher?

And apparently it's egres when spelled arsbackards.
http://www.serge-fans.com/

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Near death experience

Post 15140

You can call me TC - so relieved the site is back up again

So, by definition, an attic has a bathroom??

smiley - doh

Anyway. I am horrified. This thread hadn't appeared at the top of my conversations list for a while, so I thought it was dying and petering out, and I thought I'd revive it and ask if we'd covered petering out. I think we have, but I've forgotten it.

It seems I inadvertently unsubscribed in June. That keeps happening to me. Twitchy mouse finger. So I've just been catching up on the last 50 posts and learning a lot.

Oh - and if anyone can take on the petering out...

Key: Complain about this post