A Conversation for Ask h2g2

and the rest is silence

Post 61

?

This thread is strangely "silent". Or do all postings get systematically deleted?

and the rest is silence

Post 62

Potholer

I think it was probably just the weekend (and maybe people taking a while off to recover from an initial overdose after the relaunch of the site)

and the rest is silence

Post 63

?

Or the shock of seeing a certain Scotsman naked on the BBC Friday night?

and the rest is silence

Post 64

Mustapha

An overdose of relaunching or relunching?

and the rest is silence

Post 65

Nikki-D

Back at last.
I wondered if there was some reluctance to post to "the sequel" when there is the prospect of the original being repeated or rerun (or returned to our joint posession)
It's a bit much that we're having to wait on the BBC checkers when it was H2G2 that took over BBC Online! (I hope these prophetic words will be remembered!!)
I would like to encourage all who read this to

and the rest is silence

Post 66

Nikki-D

Back at last.
I wondered if there was some reluctance to post to "the sequel" when there is the prospect of the original being repeated or rerun (or returned to our joint posession)
It's a bit much that we're having to wait on the BBC checkers when it was H2G2 that took over BBC Online! (I hope these prophetic words will be remembered!!)
I would like to encourage all who read this to 'click' on the Feedback button, go to Community Soapbox, and post a 'reply' to my entry "British English thread return"
I've asked them to consider our thread a priority - your added comments may make a difference to it's speed of return.
Go to it!!

and the rest is silence

Post 67

?

Good to have you back Nikki-D.
I'll get to that soapbax right away.

and the rest is silence

Post 68

plaguesville

Hey,
There's plenty of room on that soapbox for a few more ranters.
When it gets crowded I'll get off to make some room.
Come and join us.

American English.

Post 69

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I've been spending my time while away dipping into Bill Bryson's Made in America which is about the origins and present versions of American English.It sounds dry but I like to read about words(my favourite read is the Oxford dictionary) and so I've been enjoying it.
I've also been researching about H.G.Wells and I've really missed h2g2 as I was going to ask for some help with the research.Too late now as I turned to my SF friends at Yahoo clubs in the end.Which is another soon to be unhappy tale.Why can't people leave things alone?

American English.

Post 70

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

If you liked 'Made in America' you should try 'Mother Tongue' which is about the English Language overall (primarily British English as I remember) rather than just how the US versioin evolved.
It's also by the rather wonderful Mr Bryson

American English.

Post 71

C Hawke

On the subject of the original thread, don't hold your breath, I have had a entry remove totlaly because I (in a jokey fashion complete with smiley - smiley ) had a dig at our trans-atlantic cousins' intellegence. Whilst I know most of the thread was polite (unlike the revocation of independence thread) don't be surprised to see much of it removed as it may be offensive to one side of the pond or the other smiley - sadface

CHawke

Legs wide apart

Post 72

Kaeori

If your reading this, the censors haven't objected to my subject line...

... which refers, of course, to lil' ol' me having one leg on each side of 'the pond'. As an American now living in London, one of the few things I can say with a degree of expertise, and with complete impartiality, is that our lovely British English thread was offensive to absolutely no one. (Well, no one of any significance!)

Although it may have touched on some slightly indiscreet subjects (I recall the now unmentionable tail-waggily creatures), it was a

Legs wide apart

Post 73

Kaeori

... (oops, clicked button by mistake) ... as I was saying, it was a thread of the highest calibre, not to mention greatest length.

I think I'll wander over to that soap box...

smiley - coffee

Legs wide apart

Post 74

Gnomon - time to move on

Kaeori, don't be too smug if your title has passed the censors (or telephone sanitizers, as TC wants to call them). All new conversations are on view immediately but get censored later on. The sanitizers will remove your post if they don't like it.

Legs wide apart

Post 75

Kaeori

Oh no! I guess all the replies with the same subject line could go the same way then.

'Smug' is a nice word. I think I like being labelled as smug, though it's kinda more a cuss.smiley - smiley

smiley - coffee

Legs wide apart

Post 76

Pheroneous

Smug has a touch of comfort about it too. There's a smile there somewhere. It suits us well. I hold no brief for youknowwho but suspect that the absence of BE has more to do with length than content. I would give it a couple of weeks to get sorted out, chances are they will fall asleep reading through. Its a curious thing isn't it, this voluntary policing of conformity. They seem to be taking it unneccessarily seriously with all these warnings everywhere. In many months of h2g2 the only offence that I took was from some stupidly xenophobic stuff, which will come sailing through. Human Nature is very strange. Hey, and K, keep those legs well astride.

Legs wide apart

Post 77

C Hawke

From my experience anything " stupidly xenophobic" or even jokingly "stupidly xenophobic" will be removed as potenially offensive. The fact that it would only offend American Red Necks, trailer park trash (on both sides of the sea) and British neo-facist skin heads and their ilk, who have difficulties getting up in the morning let alone use a PC and then find this site, is beside the point.

CHawke

Legs wide apart

Post 78

?

"Potentially offensive" means "everybody just shut up" in my book...

Legs wide apart

Post 79

Gnomon - time to move on

Could we declare h2g2 to be in a different time zone, where it is always 9:01 pm? By the BBC's own rule, we could say what we liked! For those of you who don't know, the BBC have a rule which says that material which may be offensive to children is not allowed be shown before 9pm. After 9pm, more or less anything goes.

I think the word "smug" goes with the word "grin". It is impossible to scowl smugly.

Legs wide apart

Post 80

Pheroneous

Yes, smug and smirk go nicely. You miss my point C Hawke. I, as a jolly nice, broad-minded, anything goes sort of chap (i.e. not a redneck) was once offended (to the point of not wanting to be here) by some facile stuff on another thread about French people, or Americans or somesuch, which I was distressed to find coming from the keyboards of fellow researchers. I cannot imagine that such sillinesses will be rooted out and binned.

I suspect, anyway, that the initial keenness to conform will fade quietly, and, of course, we are subtle enough to say whatever we want without catching the eye. Which brings me to K's legs, of which we seem to have a particularly good view this morning.

Key: Complain about this post