A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Her indoors

Post 6581

IctoanAWEWawi

Just notice the following on the Beebs languages page, kinda amusing and informative at the same time, it's slips and cross linguistics mistooks that people have noticed. Interesting how many soundalikes there are but that have completely different meanings. Especially in German and Dutch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/community/fun/index.shtml

And I didn;t know about Red Square being Beautiful Square as well.

<\OT>

Her indoors

Post 6582

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>> ..a show with a director who refers to almost everything and everyone as Mrs <<

This reminds me of a children's tv show where the smarmy, molly-coddling host (PeeWeeHerman?) patronised everything and everyone in a silly sing-songy voice and referred to all inanimate objects (many were in fact 'puppet animated' and had voices) as Mr This or Mr That something.

I don't actually remember the original program but a line from a 'Saturday Night Live' spoof of the show has been stuck in my mind for many years.
"Oh, careful! Don't step on Mister Puke."
For some reason it sounds like a line John Candy would have delivered. You remember John Candy who coincidentally played "Barfy" in 'Spaceballs'.

smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

Her indoors

Post 6583

Oh and yes the famous sixties Brit comedy troupe "Beyond The Fringe" used to do a 'pirate' sketch (skit) in which one of the smiley - pirates was named Mister Puke.
smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

Mr Seaman, Master Bates and Little Willy

Post 6584

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

I can only add Captain Pugwash to that!

turvy

smiley - pirate

Mr Seaman, Master Bates and Little Willy

Post 6585

Oh!...and Mr Hanky, the Christmas Poo!

t.

Her indoors

Post 6586

plaguesville

Ictoan,
Haven't time to check that now, but it reminded me of a line in the intro of a Radio 4 quiz "Wireless Wise" 18.30 Tuesday (available as "Listen again").
A seemingly inexperienced announcer says:
"It's 12 o'clock Greenwich.
Meantime here is the shipping forecast."
{or something v. similar.}
smiley - biggrin

Her indoors

Post 6587

You can call me TC

Little words often seem to have no connection to anything Latin or Germanic. In learning Polish, for example, I have discovered that our word "same" is .. well.. the same! .. in Polish : "to samo". Hadn't even thought about the origins of that before. But it certainly doesn't crop up in that form in any other language I know.

On looking it up, the dictionary stated that it was from Old Norse and Old English - so how can it be so similar to the Slavic?

My colleague said that she thought the word "each" was unconnected to anything else. Purely English. I couldn't agree, but can't find anything online because, of course, "each" is such a common word that it produces thousands of results if I search even on an etymological site.

Her indoors

Post 6588

anhaga

For what it's worth:

"same - abstracted from O.E. swa same "the same as," influenced by O.N. samr
"same," both from P.Gmc. *samon, from PIE base *samos "same." Same here
as an exclamation of agreement is from 1895. Same difference curious way to
say "equal," is from 1945. "

"each - O.E. ælc "ever alike," from a "ever" + gelic "alike." Similar compounds
are found in other Gmc. languages (cf. Du. elk, O.Fris. ellik). Originally used as
we now use every (which is a compound of each) or all; modern use is by infl.
of L. quisque. Modern spelling appeared late 1500s. "

from http://www.etymonline.com/

one, two, miss a few

Post 6589

IctoanAWEWawi

Plaguesville, like it!

Another questions, hopefully not as daft this time, but I'm not placing any bets.

Numerical indicators, the 4th person in a line is the fourth, but a quarter of something is also a fourth. Same for fifth, sixth, tenth, thirty-tooth, hundreth (hundredth??) etcetera.

Except second. For some reason we don't have a second of something, we have a half of it. Any idea why this should be different? And, as mentioned, a quarter for a fourth, but no others.

one, two, miss a few

Post 6590

*in his usual half cocked manner*

Well, halves and quarters are probably the most common of divisions. Constant or frequent usage often creates a need for variety. smiley - bigeyes This is true of most things including ways of expressing ourselves. Hence nicknames and abbreviations.

Perhaps association with the Holy Trinity (Daddy-o, Laddy-o and Spook) discouraged the development of a casual euphemism for 'one third'.

The French have the 'menage a trois' but Brits never do anything by thirds. Curiously the Canadian game of 'hockey' is divided into three 'periods' while most other sports have the usual 'halves' and 'quarters'.

Of course the redoubtable Yankees have nine 'innings' in baseball.
smiley - earth
~jwf~

one, two, miss a few

Post 6591

Icotan

Firstly, we do have seconds of things - second in line or "I'll go second" and coming second. Second also has other meanings too - 1/60 of a minute and "I'll second that" - a supporter.

Secondly, half is a specific equal division in some senses and, I would think, is usually applied to two equal portions.

Thirdly, the same would apply to quarters as applies to half. Quarter has other meanings as well - hanged, drawn and quarteredsmiley - ill, to quarter the landscape, give or offer no quarter.

Finally (ha!), a thirty-toothsmiley - erm. Who or what has thirty teeth? Is it not thirty-second?

turvy

one, two, miss a few

Post 6592

IctoanAWEWawi

turvy?

thirty-tooth - I'm glad someone picked up on that! smiley - winkeyesmiley - biggrin

I get that second has other meanings and so forth, I was just wondering why if you divide something into two parts, then those parts are not called seconds?

Used to really wind my grandfather up by refering to unequal halves! smiley - devil.

So, if you divide something into 2 unequal parts, what do you call those parts? They have to be halves really since there is no other word?

one, two, miss a few

Post 6593

Yes, I suppose so.

How about two unequal parts? The two parts could be a quarter and three quarters!

Ten divided by four is 2.5 unless the parts are unequal - 1+2+3+4=10

Exam Question.
If it takes two men with standard shovels 4 hours and twenty minutes to dig a hole three feet square by four feet deep, how long would it take one man to dig half a hole?

turvy

one, two, miss a few

Post 6594

IctoanAWEWawi

2 men to dig a hole? Where have you been? What about the other 3 blokes to drink tea and leer at passing women?

Interesting,
half a hole, not possible
half a whole, perfectly acceptable smiley - smiley

Good point on unequal halves being other fractions. Thinking about it, all the fractions and assumed to be equal. Hmmm.

one, two, miss a few

Post 6595

Teasswill

Is it possible that the divisions of half & quarter originated before counting? Meaning equal proportions rather than numerical value?

Unequal halves must be other fractions, but I imagine they're usually too unwieldy or unnecessarily precise to use.
If a hole is planned to be a specific size when finished, half a hole will be when it is half dug!

one, two, miss a few

Post 6596

M'dear Ms Teas,

The key to this old joke about holes is that a 'hole' is a hole is a hole but never a 'whole'. The word 'hole' itself has no connotation of size. There are large holes, deep holes, small holes, rabbit holes and foxholes.

While one may state specific dimensions for a particular hole one cannot say what is 'half a hole' without knowing the intended specifics of the hole yet to be. The hole which has yet to be dug therefore does not yet exist, posing the philosophical question, "Can something be half of something that does not exist?" The small hole can be made twice as big, but one cannot really say that the small hole is 'half' of another hole not yet dug.

And of course the small hole is already a hole if not yet the whole intended hole. When it was being dug, half of it would still have been a hole; yes, a smaller hole but a hole none-the-less. The point (if I haven't already blunted it) is that a hole is a hole, and the word is non specific about size.

In my disorganised and spiteful mind, it is similar to that old joke about 'When is a door not a door?' to which the answer is 'When it's "ajar"!'.
smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

one, two, miss a few

Post 6597

M'dear Ms Teas,

The key to this old joke about holes is that a 'hole' is a hole is a hole but never a 'whole'. The word 'hole' itself has no connotation of size. There are large holes, deep holes, small holes, rabbit holes and foxholes.

While one may state specific dimensions for a particular hole one cannot say what is 'half a hole' without knowing the intended specifics of the hole yet to be. The hole which has yet to be dug therefore does not yet exist, posing the philosophical question, "Can something be half of something that does not exist?" The small hole can be made twice as big, but one cannot really say that the small hole is 'half' of another hole not yet dug.

And of course the small hole is already a hole if not yet the whole intended hole. When it was being dug, half of it would still have been a hole; yes, a smaller hole but a hole none-the-less. The point (if I haven't already blunted it) is that a hole is a hole, and the word is non specific about size.

In my disorganised and spiteful mind, it is similar to that old joke about 'When is a door not a door?' to which the answer is 'When it's "ajar"!'.
smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

one, two, miss a few

Post 6598

smiley - pirate
Captain, the transporters are creating two of everything again. Captain? Uhm, Captain...?
smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

one, two, miss a few

Post 6599

Twice ~jfw~?

And on a related note, one time is once, two times is twice, three times is (archaically) thrice, four times is........?

........Anyone?

turvy

PS. How High is a Chinaman?

one, two, miss a few

Post 6600

IctoanAWEWawi

Although whilst a hole is a hole is a hole, halfway through digging it, one could say that the intended hole is only half dug,even though the hole what has been dug is a hole in itself and not half a hole (which would be a ho, which is something else entirely!).

turvy: once, twice, thrice
So, following the logic, fice, fice, sice, sice, eice, nice, tice, elice, twice (again) and so forth.

Which I guess is why we don;t bother as it gets confusing!

I wonder why once isn't onice?

P.S. he is indeed!

Key: Complain about this post