A Conversation for Ask h2g2

ECU-location

Post 41

Potholer

Regarding the original similar-job question, equivocation seems a rather appropriate word.

A little note to the wonderful DJ

Post 42

Abi

I am not sure if this was covered in the previous thread but JK Rowling uses old English in the Harry Potter books. Dumbledore comes from Thomas Hardy and is the Wessex term for a bumblebee. Parselmouth / Parseltongue is the archaic English for a hair lip...

My favourite word is Rum Tum which is the 1930s phrase for a skiff used on the lower reaches of the Thames, and hence you get TS Elliot's Rum Tum Tugger.

Post 43

Gnomon - time to move on

The ability to use the language is the mark of a good writer. A good example of an American Science Fiction writer that knows his English is Vernor Vinge. He "invents" words which have all the hallmarks of good English, because he knows the roots of the language and borrows disused words where necessary. In his "Across Real Time", there is a type of force-field which is called a "bobble". To put something into a bobble is "to embobble", not "to bobblize". A small point, but one which makes the story much more enjoyable.

Embiggen your vocab?

Post 44

Is mise Duncan

Would it be "embobble"?

I'd say it might go like a bottle, to bottle :. a bobble, to bobble.

<>====uuu====<

Embiggen your vocab?

Post 45

Munchkin

According to washing powder adverts, jumpers suffer "bobbling" in the wash. So, should that be, "embobbling" or are we assuming that the verb changes when used with high energy physics instead of soap powder?

Embiggen your vocab?

Post 46

Is mise Duncan

Jumpers for goalposts, isn't it?
(Can we still mention that now that it's gone to S*y ?)

Happy Birthday smiley - star...The real reason to beware the Ides of March?

Hey

Post 47

Nikki-D

Hey
Your back, I'm Back !!
Rats - I'm going away for a few days so won't be able to join in - see you all Monday 19th

Love & kisses
Nikki

To be thinking about (I'd like an answer on the 19th)
Whence came the expression "more {something or others} than you can shake a stick at" ??

Hey

Post 48

Nikki-D

Hey
Your back, I'm Back !!
Rats - I'm going away for a few days so won't be able to join in - see you all Monday 19th

Love & kisses
Nikki

To be thinking about (I'd like an answer on the 19th)
Whence came the expression "more {something or others} than you can shake a stick at" ??

Post 49

?

Another new British author (2 novels: "King Rat" and "Perdido Street Station") who really knows his language is China MiƩville. While reading his latest (Perdido Street Station) I had to run for the dictionary a few times. smiley - smiley
Anyway, I'd like recommend those novels to everyone who likes a good imaginative (but very dark) story.
smiley - doctor

Mountain...

Post 50

Muqtadee

I'm hoping this might be the place to ask about the saying "If you can't bring the mountain to Muhammad..."

You might expect it to be an Islamic saying -- but it is not, and your average Muslim will never have heard of it.

Which makes me think it must be an Engligh expression. Anyone know its origins?

Mountain...

Post 51

?

I have also heard the same expression with Moses in stead off Mohammed.

The word "Simulpost"

Post 52

Gnomon - time to move on

I have seen the word "simulpost" and have assumed that it meant that two people post messages explaining the same idea at the same time, each unaware of the other. But I have also seen it used to mean that annoying feature of these forums, the duplicates of a single post from a single "poster" caused by the vagaries of a recalcitrant server and an inept browser.

What do you think, Linda?

Mountain...

Post 53

You can call me TC

Well TC has come to the thread, so I will say a few things.

A. this is a series of questions with no answers, which will be very difficult to summarise when I get round to the legendary index.
B. The French word for a shoemaker/cobbler is Cordonnier, which fits nicely with the cordwainer
C. There was a whole section on Harry Potter somewhere - this linguistic information should be added. I demand it. The Harry Potter was one of the first discussions on censrship and what's allowed and what's not that happened here. Sparked off by all the schools and churches banning the book (without having read it, of course)
D. Sorry I'm not very imaginative this morning.

Mountain...

Post 54

Kaeori

I too have returned!smiley - smiley

Mountains are a sore point, Muqtadee. Our thread was a veritable Everest, but now we're back to starting with a mole hill. Whoever heard of making mole hills out of mountains?smiley - winkeye

smiley - coffee

Mountain...

Post 55

Munchkin

Moles perhaps? Pedantically speaking, mountains erode down to soil and stuff, which moles make molehills out of. The other way round would be a good sight more difficult, I would think.
Also, I would have said that simulpost was but a simultaneous posting, not necesarily on the same subject. Not double posting by one person.

simul- and other posts

Post 56

?

What about klone-posts?

simul- and other posts

Post 57

SPINY (aka Ship's Cook)

No answers to anything tonight, just checking in and glad to be back.

Oh no, I wasn't here before, so I can't be back.

Well, good to be doing here in comfort what was a posterior ache on Yaboo. Hope since I met you all there you don't mind me continuing to contribute here. (Aargh, a gerund! Quick, stamp on it someone!)

Thank you and goodnight. I'll make more sense tomorrow.

simul- and other posts

Post 58

?

Welcome SPINY, I couldn't be bothered with the Yahoo-stuff (didn't like it), so I haven't met you yet.
smiley - doctor (going for a look at SPINY's home)

simul- and other posts

Post 59

SPINY (aka Ship's Cook)

Hail good doctor.

Nothing much to see on my page, I'm afraid. They took away my hedgehog! Can't believe we can't use our own pictures. Anyway, talk to you soon.

simul- and other posts

Post 60

You can call me TC

Well, I had no problem with Yahoo - technically and speedwise I found it no different. The only problem was staring at a white screen, that got a bit much.

And every now and again I'm going to go back there and rip all my clothes off and say rude words and post links like mad, just because you can there.

Key: Complain about this post