A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

X-Men - A misnomer?

Post 1

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

I saw a trailer for X-Men, the trilogy on British television and a random thought flew across my remaining grey cell.

Surely the name X-Men is a misnomer.

Shoukdn’t It be Y-Men, as men are composed of XY chromosomes, whereas women are XX?

Or maybe even XY-Men?

smiley - erm

Hmmmmmm.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

X-Men - A misnomer?

Post 2

Superfrenchie

Then again, there are women in the X-men, so we could suggest "XY-and-XX Wo-Men" smiley - doh

Seriously though, I've always taken the X to stand for Professor Xavier.
So they should probably be "X's Men (and Women)". smiley - biggrin

X-Men - A misnomer?

Post 3

paulh. Bunnies are cute (There, I've said it)

In genetics, there are numerous conditions in which the X chromosome hosts defective recessive genes. Color-blindness is one such condition. If a woman has this gene in one of her X chromosomes, if the other chromosome is normal it masks the problem, but if she passes the problem X to her son, who has no X to mask it, he becomes color blind.

The whole point of the X-men is that they have genetic mutations that give them unusual powers. These mutations may be recessive in the general population, but the fortunate or unfortunate few who inherit these X-derived powers without anything to mask them will be mutants. I assume that the female X-men have both X's with the mutations.

X-Men - A misnomer?

Post 4

Bluebottle

What if they're called X-Men 'cos they lived in and attended Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters? 'X-Men' could be short for 'Xavier's Mansion dwellers'smiley - silly

<BB<

X-Men - A misnomer?

Post 5

paulh. Bunnies are cute (There, I've said it)

Yes, that would work fine. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

X-Men - A misnomer?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more