This is the Message Centre for Rita

Indians and Columbus

Post 1

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

Hi Rita I am Brittany daughter of B4. I am doing a report on "How CC had an impact on the 15th century." I got a chance to read some of your posts, You helped me to determine a topic "The impact that CC had on the Indian Nations." Anyways I thought you might be of assistance (since you're Indian). Having information straight up rather than having it from a book is always fun!! Well if you have any comments or ?'s just drop a post, I'll be sure to get back.

p.s. When I was reading your posts I noticed you said your people and my people. Well you know what, I really dont feel like I have people. I think the Indians where a lot more close knit than the Americans so it is a lot easier to say "These are my people." What do you think? Also I realize that "us" "americans" can be greedy, but I think all of us can be at times. And I know that I didn't have any part of what happened back in the day so I can not change it now but I can help to change the future. (right?)
Thanxs Brittanysmiley - ok

Indians and Columbus

Post 2

Rita

Hello, Brittany. I'm glad you decided to contact me. I hope I can help you some with your work.

First, you are correct. You can have an impact on the future if you remember that what happened with Columbus is still happening. Even as I write this, the United States is making plans concerning how it will manage a "postwar Iraq". This we are told is not colonialism, and to anyone having taken leave of their senses or with little notion of history, that might seem a credible claim. But indian people know better. We've been there and done that, or, more accurately, had it done to us.

You are also correct that we are probably more "close knit" than your people. I suspect this is because your people lost their tribal affiliations many centuries ago, perhaps in the time of the Romans. For this your government substitutes a community of strangers governed by coercive laws and greedy politicians. This has been true since Americans first called themselves by that name.

Finally, I think you might consider that for us Columbus is no hero. He didn't discover anything. He opened our land for looting and genocide that continues to this day. I recommend you consider looking at Indian Country Today for a few weeks. You will discover that there are many things going on you probably didn't know about that might even make Columbus look rather amateurish in comparison.

Maybe when you become a mature woman, responsible for your actions and maybe raising children of your own you might be able to teach them something about sharing the earth that you might learn if you pay attention to how it was done before Columbus came around. And maybe you can teach them to avoid the selfishness and greed that Columbus and those who followed taught our people.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Rita

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more