A Conversation for How to Calculate the Square Root of Any Number by Hand

Good work

Post 1

Jeff Mutton

I've just taken 5 minutes out of my time to calculate the square root of 7,163.29, and I'm happy to report that it worked! Of course, why wouldn't it, but I'm still feeling pleased with myself.
One thing though: I did cheat and use a calculator when calculating large facors of even larger numbers, but I am quite lazy so it's okay really.

Good work

Post 2

Diamond Bert

Thanks for that. For years I've wondered how it was done. When I was at university (many, many years ago - I'm one of Slartibartfast's contemporaries), a professor gave a demonstration of it once. However, he did it so fast that between taking notes and trying to follow what he was doing I got completely lost. I tried to find the method in the library, but to no avail. Now I know!!!!!

P.S. There was also an apocryphal story about one of the Maths professors doing a calculation which reduced to root 4. He proceeded to use the above method and started to get the answer 1.999999 at which point he said, "Oh let's just call it 2!"

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more