A Conversation for The Seven Deadly Sins

Very Catholic!

Post 1

Researcher 195767

Hello,

I am not sure who wrote this, being new to posting here, but I am a Christian minister, and I could not let this misunderstanding pass without making a comment.

Seven deadly sins are not found in the Bible, but are, as the author says, the construct of, and invention of those of the Roman Catholic religion, which has more in common with Islam, and Hinduism, that with Biblically revealed truth.

Let's just correct this then. Sin is endemic in all human beings from conception. God does NOT point a finger at anyone for having inherited it. He has though made a way for men to be free of it, in Jesus Christ, at Calvary.

The root is sin in everyone produces 'sins'; wrongdoings. Wrongdoings stem from wrong being. Hence the need for new birth. We were born into a sinful life,and need to be born again, by a spiritual new birth, into a life free from sin.

Christians are not under law, as in the RC religion. They have received a new nature, and have to learn to walk in it, but externally applied laws of must do's and musn't do's are replaced under the New Covenant in which we now live.

To take the position that one must avoid certain things as being 'deadly sins' is to deny Christ and call Him a liar. It is held by those who are in Christianity, but not in Christ, as they cannot cease from sin, any more than any other unsaved soul. Nominal Christians are the bane of a Christian's life, and the life of the church.

Almighty God says "He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." 1.Jn.3:8,9

Jesus Christ came to set men free from sin, not leave them in it doing a religion of rules and regulations ABOUT Him. All (real) Christians know God, and you can too.

Justin

Very Catholic!

Post 2

Azara

Hi, Justin the Preacher!

I wrote this entry, with the help of many comments in Peer Review from interested researchers.

Thank you so much for reading it, and for taking the trouble to provide me with your God's view on this issue.

smiley - smiley
Azara
smiley - rose

Very Catholic!

Post 3

Mystrunner

It's a good article, methinks. Even if the sins aren't mentioned, they often lead to sins that are. They could be blamed for the downfall of most every civilization that I can think of.

Very Catholic!

Post 4

Researcher 209203

How can you "know God?"

You can know someone or some church's God, but the concept of God is impossible to truely understand. One must have "faith" in the version they believe. I find the idea of understanding something that is incomprehensible is laughable. Perhaps you meant something else by "All (real) Christians know God, and you can too."

Very Catholic!

Post 5

Anonymouse

Well said. Or to be a bit more precise, you can 'know what the church of your choice tells you to believe about whatever god you choose to worship'... A silly bit of nonsense in my book.

Very Catholic!

Post 6

Researcher 195767

Hello 209203 (you don't give your name)

That is what the gospel of Jesus Christ is all about!

Man is cut off from God by sin, hence does not know Him; many having concluded, therefore, that He does not exist.

But Jesus came and paid the price for all, who will come to Him personally, to be brought back into personal relationship with God. God purchased this for them in blood of His own Son. If someone does not know God they are either secular, or religious, unsaved.

You may find it laughable, but not as laughable as God finds the myths you probably believe; like evolution, 'rights', man carving out his own destiny.

You have a Maker. He wants you to know Him, and has paid for you to do so. Find Jesus personally, and you will have all the answers you want.

Justin

Very Catholic!

Post 7

ColBot

If Preacher Justin really thinks things like evolution, rights etc. are laughable myths, then he obviously blieves himself to be in possession of absolute, fundamental truth.

In this case, why bother to enter into any discussion?

Just one thing would interest me, though: If God "purchased" this (man's salvation?) the question is from whom?

The implication seems to me to be that there is a more powerful being than God.

Very Catholic!

Post 8

Researcher 195767

ColBot,

Well in some ways you are right, I do have Him who is the Truth.

"Jesus said, I am THE Way, THE Truth, and THE Life, NO MAN cometh to the Father but by ME." Like all Christians I know Him who is the truth.

Regarding your second point about man's salvation being purchased; Satan had legal authority given to him to rule here by Adam. God is righteous, and He has a Law, and that Law must be complied with. He could not just snatch off Satan the rights to rule over men. It had to be done righteously, or Satan would have grounds to accuse God of unrighteousness, and all unrighteousness is sin.

Satan is not superior, but God is righteous and holy. He could not give ground to the accuser. So, under the Law of God, the price had to be properly paid. But the wages of sin is death. We could not pay that ourselves and survive the price. Jesus, because He is God could, and death could not hold Him. So the price was legally paid, and our salvation purchased, at the price of the blood of the Son of God.

Justin

Very Catholic!

Post 9

Mystrunner

If you ever really have questions, a GOOD resource is C.S. Lewis's "Mere Christianity." An amazing book.

Very Catholic!

Post 10

Researcher 195767

'Mere Christianity' is good I hear, but not as good as the Bible! If you are going to read, read from John's gospel onwards.

Justin

Very Catholic!

Post 11

Saturnine

smiley - groan

What a suprise. More of Justin.

Excellent article by the way.

Very Catholic!

Post 12

Azara

Thank you, Saturnine!

Azara
smiley - rose

Very Catholic!

Post 13

Saturnine

I think I am going cross-eyed. I just attempted to look through the *A* section of all the articles and thingy-wotsits...

But yep. Good article. I shall now visit your userspace and see what else you have done!! smiley - smiley

Very Catholic!

Post 14

Manuela

Catholics are generally nice and most of them don't bite.
I'm catholic.

Very Catholic!

Post 15

Anonymouse

smiley - sigh I probably should just unsub.

If JC existed at all (which I'm not really disputing), he was the illegitimate son of Whatshisname with the ass.

Religion is out-dated.

Key: Complain about this post