A Conversation for Australian Rules Football

Re A Brief History

Post 1

Researcher 204927

My understanding is that the first game was played between two private schools in Melbourne. Folklore has it that the first game had over 100 players, lasted two days and ended in a draw when noone was able to score

I also understand that originally the Victorian Football Association was formed. The Football League split from the association sometime in the 1920's. Recently the VFL renamed itself the Australian Football League, to reflect the wider competition. The VFA then renamed itself the VFL. There are also Football Leagues in South Australian Football League and West Australia.

Interstate rivalries between the three states can be intense

Re A Brief History

Post 2

Phoenician Trader

The first organised Aussie Rules competition was the South Australian Football Association (that changed its name to the South Australian National Football League). The VFA formed later. The SAFA started as an challenge competition with the premier team determined over drinks at the end of the season.

The origin of the game is different in each state. In SA it was Gaelic Rules mixed with Rugby. I hear the game in Victoria was developed on the gold fields and taken back to Melbourne. I have never heard how the game started in Western Australia.

Over time, South Australia moved its rules more into line with Victoria's (I presume Victoria also merged its rules with South Australia) to permit interstate competitions. Even now they are not identical and interstate comps have to have agreed rules.

The AFL lives in a world of its own and varies from the game played elsewhere in the country.

smiley - lighthouse

Re A Brief History

Post 3

theMartian

I agree. The traditional 'Aussie Rules' states are the Southern Australian states of Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria and Tasmania. The Northern Territory has also traditionally produced many great footballers.

The Researcher has written a great report but from an entirely Victorian-centric position.

The South Australian Football Association was formed in 1877, changing its name to the SA Football League in 1907 and later to the South Australian National Football League (SANFL).

The first State game was played between South Australia and Victoria in Melbourne in 1879.

The first Premier team was South Adelaide in 1877 and the first person to win the Magarey Medal as the competition's fairest and most brilliant was Norwood rover Alby Green in 1898.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more