This is the Message Centre for Hypatia

Wow!

Post 1

Hypatia

I didn't realize it had been so long since I've posted. I hope someone out there still remembers who I am. I also hope everyone is well and happy and looking forward to summer.

We have been super busy at the old WCPL. We turned 100 and have had a great time celebrating. We did a program a month that featured a different decade. We had historical displays and live music and dance from each of the decades since we opened. Most of the programs were standing room only.

We also changed our automation provider since I visited with you last. We joined a consortium of Missouri libraries that was brand new, so we are still working out some bugs. But overall, it was a good move for us and our patrons love it. Our ILL traffic has quadrupled. And it meant I didn't have to replace our data server, which was in extremis.

Another move was to finally start offering eBooks. Those are circulating like hot cakes. We, all libraries, are in a transition period, needing to keep providing traditional services as well as find a way to afford all the new stuff. It is a headache of major proportions trying to decide what to cut out of the budget in order to find money for the digital services. I know that we have to go digital in order to stay relevant, but it is all just so expensive.

We eliminated a lot of our regular events during our centennial, so it is time to start putting some of those together again. The only one positively scheduled is for December. We have this gorgeous building that is fairly begging to be decorated with Victorian-style Christmas decorations. We will add in Victorian Christmas cards, traditional music, wall boards explaining which customs began in that era, have an open house with traditional food and drink, and...ta da...I am going to attempt a Panto! Wish me luck with that!

Next year we want to do exhibits about Prehistoric Rock Art and Thomas Hart Benton, a local muralist. We are also thinking of reprising the M.C. Escher exhibit we did several years ago, the one we did during January when the boiler went out on us and the building was 40ºF for days on end. We're thinking summer is a good time for it. And we may do something with Legos. Not sure about that. And we definitely want to do a spring art exhibit/competition to coincide with a citywide event called "Springtime on Broadway" that is held every April.

All this should keep me busy and make the time go faster until I retire. I finally have an actual retirement date scheduled. Can I get a Hallelujah? I have informed the personnel committee and am side stepping their attempts to talk me out of it. I have agreed to stay for two years to break in a replacement. June 1, 2016 I will be a free woman. I like my job, but I really am looking forward to getting out from under the responsibility. I will have put in 21 years. That's long enough. I need some me time.

So, what's up with you guys?

Wow!

Post 2

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Yay, you're back!

That is, Hyp, who, again?smiley - winkeye

I've got chickens and a garden now--you can make fun of my attempts in my journalsmiley - winkeye

smiley - yikesAnd I'm also going to be late for w*rk!smiley - run

Wow!

Post 3

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

Morning smiley - smoochsmiley - tea glad to see your back smiley - biggrin

what have you been up toosmiley - smiley

Wow!

Post 4

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

just wondering, whats the American's doing for the 100 anniversary of WW1 as they were also part of it!smiley - smiley

and i'm getting over a busted appendix, and I've got a nice 7" scar too, its good for threading and menaces, like "give me your dinner money or i show you my scars" smiley - laugh

smiley - smiley

Wow!

Post 5

Websailor

Lovely to hear from you again Hyp. Hope you are well in yourself. Retirement is what you make it, and I cannot imagine you vegetating so make sure you make plans. The first few weeks can seem like one glorious holiday but it soon palls unless you are busy, and usefull, oddly enough.

smiley - goodluck and please don't leave it so long now.

Websailor smiley - dragon

Wow!

Post 6

Hypatia

Waves to Amy and RJR. It's good to be back. I am officially ending my hermit phase.

Dang, Jack! Sorry to hear about the appendicitis. That can be scary, to say nothing about painful! Glad you're okay.

Wow!

Post 7

Hypatia

Hi Websailor, it's great to hear from you. I know what you mean about needing plans for retirement. I've seen people, especially men, sort of feel useless once they retire. I do have plans, including a trip over to see all of you again. Also, there are a couple of hobbies I've neglected that I want time for. And my garden is going to take a lot of work to get it back to the shape it was when Frank died.

Wow!

Post 8

Baron Grim

Why wait for retirement? There's still time to book flights and a room at The Palace Hotel, Manchester for next week. A87821535

Currently, I believe I'm the only one crossing the pond. (I was going to say, "the only Yank attending", but no Texan will ever refer to himself as a Yankee.)

Wow!

Post 9

Witty Moniker

Hi Hyp! Welcome back.

BG is wrong, very wrong. I am going to Manchester for this meet! And Jersey girls are also Yankees. smiley - winkeye

Does that tempt you at all?

Wow!

Post 10

Baron Grim

Sorry, Witty Moniker. I have a hard time keeping track of who's from where. smiley - doh

Wow!

Post 11

Witty Moniker

No need to apologize. Just a little good-natured teasing on my part. smiley - hug

Wow!

Post 12

Baron Grim

My steel trap of a memory failed earlier discussing the Manc Meet when I assumed I'd be the first Texan to attend an h2g2 meet forgetting that Gosho was there years ago.

Wow!

Post 13

Pastey

Good to see you back Hypatia!

Wow!

Post 14

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

"I" am travelling in WM's suitcasesmiley - winkeye

One of these years I can leave the quotes off when I talk about UK meets...

Wow!

Post 15

Witty Moniker

Did you see the front page of this week's Post, Amy? smiley - winkeye

Wow!

Post 16

smiley - laugh

Wow!

Post 17

frenchbean

Hello Hyp smiley - smiley Lovely to hear from you again. I too had a long break and am doing quite a bit of lurking. It's reassuring to find so many good names still here.

I'm also planning for retirement, although not until 2021 smiley - laugh However, the financial planning and various house-building ideas are keeping me sane in my increasingly crazy workplace.

Are you still Prez - is it a lifetime title? smiley - smiley

Fb smiley - star

Wow!

Post 18

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Gosho's Texasness is purely honorary. Or ornery.

Wow!

Post 19

Santragenius V

smiley - laugh

With all these 'murricans coming, I'd surely have loved going to the Manchester one. Oh well, at least I was at the Presidential London one smiley - smiley

Wow!

Post 20

Hypatia

I would absolutely love to attend the meet. However, next week I have a two-day meeting in Jeff City plus the summer reading kickoff. I have never been to Manchester. But hanging out with BG and Witty would be a great pleasure, since we haven't met in person.

We really need to work on a meet in The Midwest someplace. Sort of central. With a decent airport. Or even better, close enough for me to drive.

My understanding when elected was that I am president for life or until I resign in protest over an act of Parliament. Concerning the former, I'm 65, so there is always hope. At one point I suggested a role play in which the VP assassinates me and takes over. He declined. However, if enough folks want to see the last of me, there are surely acts of Parliament that would fall into the protestable category.

And it is good to be back. I've missed the place. It's great to see so many familiar faces.

Key: Complain about this post