This is the Message Centre for Hypatia

Good Grief

Post 1

Hypatia

People leave the most ridiculous things in the library. This morning I walked past the Lost and Found box and discovered a pair of those fuzzy dice that people hang over their rearview mirrors. Why would someone bring them inside the library in the first place? smiley - weird

We also acquired yet another naked Barbie doll this week. No one ever leaves a clothed Barbie doll.

"Sally, where are the clothes for your doll?"
"I don't know, Mummy. I guess I've lost them all."
"You know what this means, don't you? Barbie will have to go to the library to live."

Good Grief

Post 2

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

Its good that library's exist in the form they do, a resposotory for all the best things...... smiley - smiley

Good Grief

Post 3

Agapanthus

smiley - rofl Oh dear smiley - rofl Ohhhhh dear *wipes tears from eyes* will have to go to the library to live. Oy vey. I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

We never get naked dolls in our library. Naked students, once, but no dolls. *sigh*

Good Grief

Post 4

Leo

smiley - laugh Is the *sigh* because you want naked dolls or because you prefer naked students? Among the rules for library conduct over here is 'you must wear a shirt and shoes'. I think it never occured to them that someone would come without pants.

Good Grief

Post 5

Santragenius V

Indeed smiley - rofl "Will go..." smiley - laugh

Good Grief

Post 6

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

smiley - laugh

Good Grief

Post 7

Lady Chattingly

Those are probably the fuzzy dice that were hanging from the rear view mirror of the mint condition yellow and white '55 Chevy in another thread. smiley - biggrin

Maybe you should stock up on Barbie clothes and sell them to the owners of the naked Barbies--

smiley - rofl

Good Grief

Post 8

Hypatia

I can't do that, Lady C. It would ruin the tradition. smiley - tongueincheek

I'm still jealous of David B for having such interesting bookmarks left behind in their volumns. smiley - whistle

Good Grief

Post 9

Lady Chattingly

I left a baby picture of myself in a library book once. The librarian actually figured out who it was and called me and she was a nit wit! (Still is for that matter)

Good Grief

Post 10

Pinniped

She's such a tart, that Barbie. Wherever she is in the world, she can't wait to get her kit off. Though to be fair, Action Man's not much better.

Notes left in libraries : I found one the other day, beautifully handwritten in proper ink in the flypapers of a local history book. Dated 1965, saying that father was the person referred to on such-and-such a page and great-grandfather on another. Not interesting in itself, except that it was probably someone talking from the grave. Something compelled me to initial and date it, and I guess I'll be checking in future now to see if others do so too.

Yes, I know it's a disgraceful act of vandalism.

Funny thing about the notes in that book. As I said, handwriting lovely, but at the same time spelling and grammar cringe-makingly bad. I don't know if schools taught so much in those days, but they certainly moulded people.

Good Grief

Post 11

healingmagichands

I have always wondered about Barbie. There are so many naked Barbies around, what is it about? Naked with absolutely wild hair. Maybe it is because it is so easy to get the clothes off and not that easy to get them on.

Good Grief

Post 12

Xantief

I have Barbie's comb!

Found it in the backyard some years ago...detritus of the previous occupants...I find it works adequately as a moustache comb.

Good Grief

Post 13

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

We don't get Barbies, but in an incident unrelated to the interesting bookmark, we did once find a pair of knickers in the video viewing room. smiley - yikes

Good Grief

Post 14

Hypatia

You don't have any Barbies? How extraordinary. What on earth do you do with naked Barbies in the UK then?

Good Grief

Post 15

Probably serve them with an ASBO...

Good Grief

Post 16

Hypatia

smiley - rofl Good one. smiley - brave

What did you do with the knickers? It would be interesting to know if anyone came in to claim them.

Good Grief

Post 17

Nobody claimed the knickers to my knowledge. smiley - smiley They were kept in the lost property box in a plastic bag with a sticker on saying 'knickers'. It made us all smiley - laugh and smiley - yuk every time we looked in the box. Eventually it went up to the main campus lost property store - one assumes they have since been binned. Or incinerated, like the book with the 'bookmark' was.

Good Grief

Post 18

Hypatia

People. Can't live with them, can't live without them. It would be nice to have a library where no one was actually allowed inside except the staff. People would have to call in orders then come to a pick up point to get them. smiley - ok

Good Grief

Post 19

healingmagichands

Actually, the library at UCBerkley is totally closed stacks. People are allowed in the lobby and the reference area, though. Otherwise, you go to the desk and tell them what books you want and someone goes and gets them. They are very quick, and apparently they save so much money on Not Stolen Not Lost books that they can afford the extra staff.

Good Grief

Post 20

The British Library works in much the same way, but they have an awful lot of stuff that you wouldn't want random members of the public to be allowed within spitting distance of.

Key: Complain about this post