A Conversation for The Ultimate Cocktail List

Oh whiskey, thy infinite variety...

Post 21

bludragon, aka the Dragon Queen of Damogran

do not be too harsh on the folks who gave us Southern Comfort, they also gave us some excellent bourbon and rye...

Post 22

Grey Area

OOh, Rye! I wonder if anyone out their has tried any of the Japanese "Scotch"? I plan to find some Canadian whiskey this weekend, purely on the grounds of serious scientific research, you understand.
Someone gave me a bottle of Grants yesterday, as he doesn't like whisky! Mad fool!
In UK, most of the big Supermarket chains sell there own brands. These are usually understrength, and all seem to have a similar flavour...

Whisky

Post 23

The Duke of Dunstable

Ahhhh, whisky. The water of life! A room tempered Laphroaig or Lagavulin with a dash of water! Or a straight Macallan! Dear lord, we thank you for these gifts!

Whisky

Post 24

Darth Whippy

Amen....smiley - smiley

Mau Tai anyone?

Post 25

Researcher 43998

I have to say Mau Tai is the only drink I truly fear.

After having lived with koreans for a good three years, I have had the wonderful opportunity of having members of both sexes show me what 'having a few drinks' really meant. Koreans are voracious drinkers, invite one to a drinking session and find out for yourself. In fact, koreans spent nearly 5 times more on alcohol than what the country spent on construction and maintenance of highways and roads.

Mau Tai which is chinese(clear like vodka), it is the vilest smelling thing I've ever had. If you can drink a couple of pints and then tackle two straight shots of Mau Tai....I salute you.

The "korean whiskey", Soju is far more enjoyable. I hesitate to say that its similar to vodka but it too is clear and its got a subtle bite. Goes very well with spicy food and good smokes. Soju is also loved by japanese, it is the best selling liqour over there.

I have to stand by Crown Royale -it is great neat and on the rocks. I've yet to have anything mixed with it that resulted in a good drink. When I'm down on my luck Jim Beam is a good value for money.
Strangely enough, I once got a free pair of kids binoculars with a bottle of Beam. Kinda makes you wonder.

Mixing Whiskeys

Post 26

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

I would have to say that anyone who would mix anything, even ice, into a single malt Scotch should be shot!
That said, Crown Royal is a decent whiskey to have in a mixed drink, but i don't much care for it straight. Same goes with Jack Daniels, a Jack and coke isn't a bad mix. Never mix Southern Comfort with any soda, the result would be so sweet your teeth will rot out on the spot. Kessler's is another to avoid for it's sweetness. The best mixing whiskeys, generally, are kinda smooth, and only slightly sweet.

Whiskey

Post 27

Grey

I am a great whiskey fan myself. I love rusty nails [er, the drink smiley - smiley] (do you think the rusty nail/Drambuie shandy dichotomy is an American/British thing?) I am quite fond of Jack Daniels--black label preferred, though I have yet to meet a Jack-label I didn't like! Except for the generalization of the lighter ones, do you have a preferred name for your poison Grey Area?

I like Crown, but am not a SoCo fan *at all* [blech], and as for Canadian whisky, I never trust anything I can get a gallon of for $7. Well--I don't trust it to taste very good, anyway smiley - smiley

Whiskey

Post 28

The Duke of Dunstable

As I said eralier, Laphroaig or Lagavulin on the smokey side, The Macallan on the lighter. And as for blendeds, I tend to stick to Ballantines or Famous Grouse. Oh, yummie!

Whiskey

Post 29

Grey Area

Hi, Grey, glad to see you made off the ship! I think the Rusty Nail/ Drambuie Shandy thing is more likely localised to the part of Surrey where I used to live.
I like Glenmorangie, Glen Livet, (although I had a bottle of Dufftown Glen Livet once, and it was a bit smoky for me) and as for blends, Famous Grouse, Grants, 100 Pipers, although for general day to day brain cell assassination I drink Claymore, 'cos it's cheaper!

Whiskey

Post 30

Obscure

Sorry I'm a little behind the times here, but I have always considered Glenfiddich as nail varnis remover, no selfg respecting Scotsman would drink it.

Post 31

Grey Area

Oh, bluDragon, I bought some Canadian whisky and it was good! Bit sweet for me, but very nice. Can't tell you what brand as it was generic supermarket stuff. 1 litre bottle for just over 12 of our Earth Pounds. (And no, I'm NOT going to buy stuff in bloody Euros! Never, never, never!)
I'll let you know if I find any branded stuff.
Share, and Enjoy!

Whisky

Post 32

bLanark

You have the same taste as I. Have you tried Talisker (from Skye)?

I find that Lagavulin is variable (sometimes you get a bottle that is brilliant, sometimes you get a mediocre one). Talisker doesn't have this problem, nor do the macallans.

One day I shall go on holiday to Islay, and spend a day cycling around all the distilleries, sampling their wares. A distant friend has a relative who owns a hotel on the island, with literally hundreds if not thousands of different whiskies.

Whiskey

Post 33

bLanark

I agree, Glenfiddich is turpentine. However, if you do visit A SINGLE distillery, then go to Glenfiddich, as you see everything - it's the tourist experience. I've visited about a dozen or so so far.

Whisky

Post 34

Gala

Highland Park, anyone?

Whisky

Post 35

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I lived on a distillery for seventeen years (Glenglassaugh, just outside Portsoy in Bannfshire, Scotland - now sadly closed) and know how much effort goes into getting the water OUT of whisky...

As a matter of preference, I am very fond of "Glenfarclas 105" (105 degree proof, yet smoother than the majority of blends! Expensive, but highly recommended)

Lighter Whisky

Post 36

Researcher 53931

If you like lighter Whisky and wnat to splash out then try Dalwhinnie very light, heathery almost honeyed Whisky. Great fun when you don't have any serious intent.

Whisky

Post 37

Kers

You have to drink Whiskey with water if you want to enjoy the taste ( a lot of the taste doesn't appear until you add water ) - of course it should be single malt, not that blended shit.

Whisky

Post 38

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

If you MUST add water, it should be fresh spring/stream water or rainwater - i.e. without traces of Chlorine etc. which really ruin a good Malt. A couple of distilleries even sell canned water from the same stream used in making the Whisky through their gift shops! Distilled water would be OK, if they didn't insist on selling it in PVC bottles which taint the flavour.

Whisky

Post 39

Proff

If you MUST add anything to ANY whisky, Shoot yourself then proceed and throw yourself out of the Air Lock! This worse than mutiny.
My favourites cannot be further appart in style or character.
Numero uno: Laphroaig
Numer Dwa: Macallan
Sorry aboy the spelling, the Wormwood is taking effect.
You will never find two more dissimalar whiskeys, both are my idea of heaven.
"Deep Sigh".

Whisky

Post 40

Proff

Furthermore, I have almost given up drinking Whisky with friends here in darkest Cotswolds. After a few glasses they wimps fall asleep.
The very only regret is the diabolical hangovers I still get.....
This is why Vodka and Wormwood come into their own, but that is another page.....
Bye for now me luverly imibers.

Key: Complain about this post