A Conversation for What if...?

What if we had a 2AU interferometer?

Post 1

Researcher U197087

Two radio telescopes on the orbital path of Earth, one either side of the Sun. .^.

Could it be done?
What difference would it make to our scope of the universe?
Would it be worth it?

Post 2

Icy North

I thought this read U3A interferometer.

I personally think that anyone who interferes with members of the U3A should be jailed.

Post 3

Orcus

Could it be done?

Yes.... tricky... but yes.

What difference would it make to our scope of the universe?

It would allow us to observe cosmic radiation at wavelengths of ~180 million miles. That's a *long* wavelength. However with only two telescopes in the detection zone this would be a very low intensity experiment.

Would it be worth it?

Probably not, but you never know. Are there any theories out there on what radiation of this wavelength would represent. Residual background from the big bang...? smiley - erm Dunno.

Post 4

Hoovooloo

Wouldn't we just need one?

Oh... no, hang on. I was thinking that if there was one at L3 the other could just be on earth, but then of course we'd not be able to communicate with it.

One at L4 and one at L5 would give a big baseline, although not, I think, quite 2AU.

Again, though, I don't have the answer because I don't know what questions to ask. What could a 2AU interferometer detect?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more