A Conversation for The Matter of Constantine's Beard

Peer Review: A797394 - The Matter of Constantine's Beard

Post 1

Amber. 20 to 30 million years old. Insect included.

Entry: The Matter of Constantine's Beard - A797394
Author: Amber. 20 to 30 million years old. Insect included. - U199662

I'd appreciate your comments on this entry. Thank you.

A797394 - The Matter of Constantine's Beard

Post 2

caper_plip

Hi Amber!

I like this! An inspired Entry!smiley - ok

Just a few typos such as 'Christianty' = 'Christianity' (in one of the links I think)smiley - ok

Good Entry!

Caper Plipsmiley - football

Post 3

il viaggiatore

Very well written, with a fresh humour about it too. Let's have this in the guide.

Post 4

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

smiley - ok

Post 5

Smij - Formerly Jimster

smiley - biggrin

Brilliant. Really like this.

Jimster

Post 6

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Yes, great stuff! smiley - ok

You appear to be implying that Antinus did not jump, he was pushed. Who were the main suspects?

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 7

Azara

Add one more voice to the chorus of approval!

Azara
smiley - rose

Antinous

Post 8

It's hard to say exactly what happened. I personally favor the explanation that Antinous was killed by the Praetorian Guard because he had become a political embarassment. Others say that Antinous committed suicide, either because he thought his sacrifice in the Nile would appease the gods and end the drought, or because he thought his sacrifice could heal Hadrian of the disease that would eventually kill him. However it happened, Antinous was deified by Hadrian and I was surprised to learn that there are still some Antinous worshippers out there today (plus he has given his name to several gay nightclubs).

Antinous

Post 9

Giford

This is a very well written article.

Antinoopolis - is this a typo? It looks like it should be Antinopolis, but I don't know.

Regarding carving a new Emperor on an old monument - this practice was extremely common among the Egyptian Pharaohs (including the later dynasties who weren't Egyptians at all, I believe that one Dynasty was Roman). Could this be where the Roman Emperors picked up this habit, or was Constantine's 'appropriation' of Hadrian's arch a one-off? Probably not relevant, just an aside.

Gif smiley - geek

Antinous

Post 10

Spiff

Love the entry; great writing on an interesting subject! smiley - ok

well, what more is there to say?

Alright then, go on...

One practical suggestion: I know (roughly) who Constantine was (a charitable fellow, from what i recall!) but it may not be the best idea to *assume* knowledge of his importance in the history of the Christian church from the outset.

One way to adapt your piece could be to slightly expand the intro so that it presents this info - perhaps simply taking some of your later 'grandaddy' para and transferring it to the intro.

Don't Panic! If you prefer to let the reader come to this info later in the piece, i can see that this can work too. I'm not issuing 'directives' here! smiley - biggrin

So, all the best with this and future writings smiley - ok
spiff

Antinous

Post 11

I'm not sure how common the practice of recarving heads was among Roman Emperors. As far as I know, it wasn't common (particularly if the head you're recarving was one of an Emperor who had been deified, like Hadrian). During the early decades of the Empire it was fairly common practice to put your all-too-realistic head on an idealized god-like body -- one particularly hideous statue of Claudius comes to mind. Later, the practice of damnatio memoriae let rulers completely strike people from the artistic record, like Caracalla did with his brother, Geta. But the recarving of heads? Unless someone else knows for certain, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it wasn't something that was generally done.

And Antinoopolis isn't a typo, it's just that Roman names don't turn into Greek words too well.

Constantine

Post 12

All of your points about not assuming people know about Constantine are good ones. I think I might write a separate piece on him, though. I'd hate for the beard issue to get bogged down in relevance.

Constantine

Post 13

Jimi X

Great entry! smiley - ok

Constantine

Post 14

Giford

"I'd hate for the beard issue to get bogged down in relevance."

Gif smiley - geek

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 15

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 16

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

This is a lovely entry! Congratulations, well deserved! Look forward to seeing it on the front page.smiley - smiley

smiley - bubbly

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Key: Complain about this post