A Conversation for Portland, Oregon, USA

Oregon Native

Post 1

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

I grew up in Portalnd, and I miss it. I'd really like to move back, but I'm living in Georgia with a house and a career. It's not easy to move.

I particularly miss all of the parks in Portland. Whether it be Washinton Park with all of its attractions or the rolling wooded parks in east Portland.

I get the impression that the cost of living is pretty high. My dad says that the house I grew up in is worth some $150,000. He bought it in the mid-70's for $64,000. It's smaller and far older than mine, which is worth about $110,000. I paid $84,900 for it six years ago.

I'm not sure if it was a result of the copst of living or what, but it seems like things were more stable there. Here in Atlanta, there is a ring of acceptable places to live. In the 70's a lot of middle class people lived right in or immediatly around Atlanta. In the 80's they moved out to the surrounding counties. In the 90's they've moved farther out into the coujnties around that. The neighborhoods they left behind have become run down and dangerous. I don't even go into downtown Atlanta without an extra magazine unless it's to one of the heavily policed universities.

I don't get the impression that Portland had that sort of geographical decay.

I miss it. It sure would be nice to head back home for a few years.

Oregon Native

Post 2

Thaddeus

https://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A71498/conversation/view/F9537/T8322312

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more