This is the Message Centre for

Hi There

Post 1

Flanker

Hi there and welcome to H2G2.

I am Flanker and I'm an Assistant Community Editor <./>ACE</.> which is a sort of official greeter.

Part of our job is to be there if any help is needed by a new researcher and make sure that they can find their way about the site.

To do this I thought you might like a quick list of places and things that are available to help you.

Firstly find out more about some of the jargon used on h2g2 try A632431 then if you want to jazz up your own user page then go to 'Spicing up your User Page' (A690518).

Another thing which will help you along the road is our newspaper <./>ThePost</.> which contains lots of news, articles and links to all the groups and meetings places.

Feisor, another <./> ACE </.>has created a page of hints and links for new researchers at A719840. which along with the <./>DontPanic</.> Help Centre (which can be reached via the 'Help!' button on the toolbar at the top.) are really good pages to start with.

One last thing is smiley - smiley (smileys). The full list is at <./>smileys</.> and you can find out more about them there.

I, personnally, tend to hang about <./>Askh2g2</.>, which is usually fairly busy. So I'll maybe catch you there.

If you have any questions, need any help or want a bit of encouragement simply reply to this message and I'll be there as soon as I can smiley - smiley.

HTH & HAND.

Flanker

smiley - cheers

Hi There

Post 2

Researcher 199620

Thanks Flanker. My best friend (well, he was...) is an editor of this site and has cajoled me into writing and posting an article on the Irish singer Enya as he seems to think I know a lot about her. His name is Jimster. I don't know if you know him or not.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and I promise I will only annoy you if I am desperate. I have tried to annoy him but he is too busy. He didn't comment when I told him that I though this site was his job. Hit a nerve I think...

Gaz

Hi There

Post 3

Flanker

Yeah I can see why . smiley - winkeye

But seriously try to stick around and try it. You never know who you might meet smiley - biggrin.

smiley - cheers Flanker

Hi There

Post 4

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Hey, what's all this 'Used to be' bestfriendness.

smiley - sadface

Hi There

Post 5

Flanker

smiley - cheerup See Gazgog Our Most Reverend Jimster is still your friend smiley - ok

and the sun is shining smiley - bigeyes the flowers are blooming smiley - rose all is well smiley - zen

smiley - cheers

Flanker

Reverend

Post 6

Researcher 199620

You been talking to Jim then or was that a lucky guess? That's my job!

JOKE!!

Post 7

Researcher 199620

Well, you have your own friends now in London! I am just a distant memory from the past... Come on, it had to be funny and you KNOW I don't mean it. I have to ham it up so people will feel sorry for me and go 'Ahhhhhhhh'. By the way, just about to post the 80s thing. Hope it's okay. Some of us have work to do, ye know!

^_^
xxx

p.s.

Post 8

Researcher 199620

even though I am writing to you, can EVERYONE see this????

p.p.s.

Post 9

Researcher 199620

What do I type in the search engine to post this thing?

p.p.s.

Post 10

Flanker

Where do you want to post it to?

If you want to post it to <./>Peer Review</.> then

To put an entry into Peer Review, simply click on the 'Submit for Review' button on that entry and follow the instructions, choosing 'Peer Review' from the drop-down menu. If there is no such button, then that's because you can't put that entry into a Review Forum; it might already be in a Review Forum, it might be an Edited Entry, it might be someone's Personal Space, or the author might not want it to be put in for review.

HTH smiley - cheers

Flanker

p.p.s.

Post 11

Smij - Formerly Jimster

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Post it to the "What it was like in the 1980s" thread. That's what I'm writing up right now and I need someone to post about the same music I remember! smiley - biggrin

Jims

p.p.s.

Post 12

Flanker

Sorry about that smiley - erm

smiley - cheers

Flanker

p.p.s.

Post 13

Smij - Formerly Jimster

No worries - I was just fretting because my Internet service has been crashing all day, so I had to get the message over quickly - Gazgogs has already posted to the thread I recommended (and a fine lot of info too!).

Jims

p.p.s.

Post 14

Researcher 199620

So, by looking at the conversation whilst I wasn't there, I take it Jim that nothing is private on this site? Okay, Good job I never mentioned your childhood nickname then, isn't it, little sausage.

p.p.s.

Post 15

Flanker

Could it be along the same lines as a friend of mine who got nicknamed "titch" for reasons I shall not go into smiley - winkeye.

smiley - cheers

Flanker

p.p.s.

Post 16

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Good job you don't KNOW my childhood ni- wait a sec - I didn't HAVE a childhood nickname. Oooh, you litle tinker!

Nicknames

Post 17

Researcher 199620

Okay, but your mum had a lot of names that she called you. However, after checking the house rules, I don't think I'm allowed to type any here. However, I think my favourite one was "You m**********************************d!

p.p.s.

Post 18

Researcher 199620

Short, but not in stature? Ouch! How do people know, anyway? Or am I just being dirty minded?

p.p.s.

Post 19

Flanker

No I don't think so......smiley - smiley You're just the same as the rest of us smiley - sillysmiley - winkeye but at least you "know where your towel is Frood"

smiley - cheers Flanker

Key: Complain about this post