A Conversation for The Dangers of Mixing Bleach and Ammonia

To the editor of my entry...

Post 1

insurgent

Household bleach consists of NaOCl, and nothing else. It is the active ingredient, but it is also the only ingredient, so the phrase, "The active ingredient in household bleach" seems a mote excessive.

Post 2

insurgent

Granted, it may be a solution of bleach and water, but water will have no effect on the reactions.

Post 3

Researcher 188007

Hence the term 'active' ingredient. But I'll change it back anyway. That'll be a rap then.

Post 4

imdangerous

Hi i'm an australian and in Australia our bleach contains two active ingredients
1. sodium hypochlorite
2. sodium hydroxide

of both of these there are only tiny percentages used so when refering to the active ingredient it should be made clear that for cleaning purposes the active ingredient is usually but not limited to sodium hypochlorite.

An example in which the NaOH is often more effective is in the unclogging of drains (bleach is not often used in this senario but i know some people who used it when desperate), where as the hypochlorite ions tend to sit back and relax.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more