A Conversation for The h2g2 Definitions Project

Gidget

Post 1

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

an utterly fab word that I want a use for - suggest!

Gidget

Post 2

Joe aka Arnia, Muse, Keeper, MathEd, Guru and Zen Cook (business is booming)

From my jungle days I know a Gidget to be a small relative of the frog family that makes a distinctive call in the rain. *tries to look believable*

Gidget

Post 3

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

can that be used as an insult?

Gidget

Post 4

Mushy Mayt.

Or what about a term of endearment? It sounds kind of loveable.

Gidget

Post 5

Dick

I'm wondering if it has an etymological connection to the words Gadget (useless item that men buy) and Widget (meaningless item that management consultants talk about)

Therefore: Gidget - Useless item invented by management consultant for sale to men with more money than sense.

Gidget

Post 6

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

so an insult then?
smiley - winkeye

Gidget

Post 7

Sierra Indigo - now Cheesecakethulhu flavoured

Of course it's an insult...just listen to the tone of this sentence -

"You're a complete and utter gidget..."

Gidget

Post 8

Spike

Derived from the words Widget and Gadget, a Gidget is a small object that has absolutely no use whatsoever, but looks nice and is very satisfying to have on your desk. Thus a paperweight is a typical gidget. Executive "toys" are almost exclusively gidgets. Hope this helps.

Gidget

Post 9

Jake Denotsko

It's the little piece of moist gristle like flesh native only to females anatamy.

* Flickin' the slippery gidget*

Sorry. I guess that was in poor taste.

Gidget

Post 10

winter rae (flint eyed seer of the soul)

Sounds like it defines men to a tee.

Gidget

Post 11

Mu Beta

Gidget (n.): The imaginary pair of scissors that you are operating while searching the house for the real thing.

B

Gidget

Post 12

Dick

Great!

And it is onomatopeic in an imaginary sort of a way.

Gidget

Post 13

Joe aka Arnia, Muse, Keeper, MathEd, Guru and Zen Cook (business is booming)

Widget is actually short for WIndows GadgET and is used to refer to any piece of onscreen metaphor from a windowing system such as Microsoft Windows(tm) or XWindows.

However, I feel gidget seems to be more suited to the useless executive toy interpretation, although calling someone a useless executive toy could be seen by some as stereotyping.

Gidget

Post 14

Vestboy II not playing the Telegram Game at U726319

Widget was around long before Windows. RAF slang I believe.

Gidget - A little gadget that you stand on. It spins you round until you're giddy - a giddy gadge.

Key: Complain about this post