A Conversation for The Phantom Menace

Three Problems

Post 1

Proteus

1 - To be able to view the movie in my area you needed to camp out side the theater for a week (which i did, and attended the 12:01 AM showing opening day which led to me not being able to recall the movie the next day for the impatient inquirers). Most theaters in my area are still sold out to next weekend. Although by pulling I was able to see the movie for a second time.

2 - The only other problem is that the $7 it costs to get in is hard to come by when your a student. (call me a jobless slacker if you will)

3 - The final one goes right along with the last one, and that is that it is way too short. I didn't leave untill they kicked me out because they were starting the next movie.

If you haven't seen this movie yet get out of your hole and see it. And for those of you who live on the other side of the ocean, plane tickets are cheap now, take advantage of them (assuming you can cover at least the price of entry). The hype was right, it was sweet.

Three Problems

Post 2

Old Spotty

Eight hours in line for the 12:30pm show. Earlier shows were sold out. The line was fun, though. An old guy walked past across the street, someone yelled "There goes George Lucas!" Everybody went nuts... Good times...

Three Problems

Post 3

Orion

I too waited an indefinitely lengthy period of time to see the film which stunned the world. Although I disagree with you when you say the price was too high and that it was too short. Lucas fufilled his mission. It was awesome.

Three Problems

Post 4

Researcher 40437

Come to Birmingham,AL. I may be the lone geek here.I stood in no line at all and bought five tickets easily.Blame the lack of techies and Star Wars freaks on Alabama public education....

Three Problems

Post 5

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I waited in line for 18.5 hours for tickets and then 16 hours for seats( one week apart). I have seen it five times and will see it many more times.
Remember people, this is only one third of the story.

more on b'ham tickets

Post 6

FairlyStrange

hey,resercher 40437. birmingham's the place for tickets.went to the summit(a little local dive,for those of you not from around heresmiley - smiley) approached the ticket window, just on a lark, at 11:20 a.m.. no line. got tickets for 11:30. watched the movie in a half empty theater.
oh, and education is lousy in AL.? it's a bed of roses compared to the politics that created the mess!

more on b'ham tickets

Post 7

Boab

Sci-Fi weirdo's!!!!

Let me know where you are next Queuing up so I can drive by a nail you Bast@rds!

more on b'ham tickets

Post 8

Leopold

Hmm. A strange suggestion. Did you not like the movie? Or is it the people who go and see it?

sci-fi weirdos ?

Post 9

FairlyStrange

it seems odd that we would have such a seemingly anti sci-fi resercher here on the guide. do you just not like star wars, or is it you have arrived at the conclusion that THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE is the only one true reality? if so, then your comments are compleatly understandable. live long and prosper.

Three Problems

Post 10

Researcher 43833

I waited one hour but it was worth it for the great seats. Due to the $$$ involved in seeing a movie in Canada these days, I only go to the theatre when the movie is expected to have great special effects. This one exceeded my expectations, sight & sound . . .

Three Problems

Post 11

Articunox

I waited for 20 minutes to get in and found it to be incredibly unpacked. There was no story in the movie
and I left feeling quite dissapointed. (sob) i am now going back to my life. Which is tests and tests and studying and tes... and. .. sts.....

Three Problems (SPOILER)

Post 12

bansidh

I called the theatre on the 19th at 5:30pm just to ask when the next showing was that wasn't sold out. They said 6pm. I went to the theatre at 6 to get tickets for the 7:30 show and found the queue for seats already amounted to over 100 people. The show sold out (of course) although they said the 7:30am and 9:30am shows were only half-full. As for content, a movie about trade negotiations will not be as exciting as one about a rebellion against an evil empire. Hate to sound like a cliche but way too much Jar Jar! A little more character dev of Darth Maul might have been nice. Also, I was sad to see all the time-dated colloquiallisms all throughout the movie. Lucas had been so careful not to date Episodes 4-6 with them. Exsqueeze me? Even explaining it away as an alien dialect doesn't cut it. Having said all that though, I really liked it. Great sound, great fx, mostly very good acting, stunning cg animation--all in all a very entertaining movie. I expect Episode 2 will have a bit more intrigue.

Three Problems (SPOILER)

Post 13

FairlyStrange

Actually, as far as Star Wars goes, it was slow. I do think Lucas did a good job of "setting up" for the rest of the series. If this had been released first, it would have flopped, but then so would Star Trek, The Movie. It does a good job of setting up the story line and characters, but the plot stinks! As far as Darth Maul is concerned, he got way too much hype for his 15 minutes of fame. I, too, would liked to have seen more of him,it could have been good, It's a shame. Good oportunity and good potential character wasted. At the risk of jumping too far up on the bandwagon, Jar Jar was actually a pretty good character, he was just used way too much.

Three Problems (SPOILER)

Post 14

Gimli

I agree with what you are saying about Darth Maul. He was probably the coolest character in the entire movie, and what do they do with him? Bugger all. They give him a total of about two lines in the entire movie, and then those two lines are practically the same lines anyway. I really thing Lucas should have used this character better. Adios.

Three Problems (SPOILER)

Post 15

Old Spotty

The other Darth Maul problem lies with the cinematography. Here's this scarey dark Jedi walking along beside these INCREDIBLY tall I-probably-shouldn't-say-Oriental-but-hey,-it's-obvious alien trade mongers, and he looks so TINY and insignificant! Something as simple as a different camera angle could have made Maul look MUCH more menacing.

Removed

Post 16

Boab

This post has been removed.

Three Problems (SPOILER)

Post 17

Researcher 39548

I didn't wait in line but i just have to say one thing (or mabey two i cant count) The phantom menacea wasn't the movie it was suppose to be. Sure it had alot of great special effects but come on you can't hold a movie up with special effects. I mean it wasn't that intresting when you hash it all down. It was an OK movie but not the superstar it was suppose to be.

Three Problems (SPOILER)

Post 18

Boab

I liked the bit where Picard had his groin removed.

Three Problems

Post 19

EaterOfMarmite

er, phantom menace only opened in the UK a short while after it did in the US, anyone with patience could have waited that long. Attack of the clones opened the same dayas it did in the US. I brought my ticket 2 months before it opened and didn't have to queue on the day itself.

Key: Complain about this post