A Conversation for How to Fake an English Accent in a Chatroom

How REALLY to appear British and not American

Post 61

aka Bel - A87832164

I didn't invade it - not as far as I know smiley - biggrin

Post 62

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

Ugh, see, I tend to find the amreicans I have met to be ok people. Some i get on with and agree with, others I dont, but that's fine. I dont get on with all brits (also almost entirely descended from immigrants... The Gaels were immigrants, the vikings etc... There's no pure 'british' blood left as far as I know. Certainly no pure english!) so I'm not going to judge a nation on a personality clash. I do find america as a nation to be hugely misguided, childlike and insincere though. On almost every level, from the government to 'the masses'. Intelligence seems to be very much a secondary requirement to social acceptance from my point of view over here, passion and blind faith in SOMEthing appears to be much higher on the list...

I DO have a problem with british institutions (schools and so on) adopting american bastardisations of english though... That really gets my goat!!! Bt that's not 'americas' fault!

Post 63

PedanticBarSteward

Just talk 'Estuary English' - nobody will understand you.

Post 64

PedanticBarSteward

Talk like Baloney Tair or Brichar Ransome - have you ever seen the two together?

Post 65

PedanticBarSteward

Sorry - a D missing in there somewhere!

Post 66

And an N subsituted by an M and an E... hmm....

Post 67

invincibledriver

well, you could adopt one of the many regional or indeed national accents to appear more British.....

Pour example: thirs nae mair tae speakin scoattish thin muckin aboot wi vowls an droppin 'G's aff the end o' wurds....smiley - winkeye

Post 68

Damned true old chap... Whatever you do though, dont get yourself caught sounding like an aristo... One got one's hootah rather splattered recently at a less elite drinking establishment... Turns out they dont approve of well educated 'rotters' interrupting their mindless violence and ill-bred language! I'll go back soon with papa's shotgun and show them what for, what!

Post 69

invincibledriver

aye, well, thits whit ye git fer tri-yin tae soond awl posh....ken

Post 70

innit!

smiley - biggrin

Post 71

invincibledriver

smiley - winkeye

aaar! - i often find myself putting on some sort of lancashire accent for no apparent reason.... dunno why, but it amuses me...smiley - erm

Post 72

My daily speech often has different turns of phrase or accent manipulations from all over the place... Welsh, northern and indian seem to pop up fairly regularly. as does Armageddon... Australian for armageddon outta heea! (thank you Eddie Izzard, I love you... I cannot ever hear the word armageddon without saying 'gettin outta here' at least in my head.

Say 'mucky'. now say it with a strong yorkshirey type accent. it aint muhkeh unless its muhkeh!

Post 73

invincibledriver

spiffing!smiley - rofl

Post 74

*scowl*

Oh, and on the subject of the thread, if you talk about the weather. Not ni a cliched manner, but seriously because we do. It affects our lives on a daily basis and everything we do... Like it's funny how we have so many more cars on the roads on a wet day... Fair weather 'I'm so green, me' cyclists are my theory on that phenominon... (sp?)

Post 75

dai-namic

Of course the real way to appear British, is to show a sympathetic understanding of Islam and welcome the advent of Sharia Law. Ensure that all ladies of your acquaintance are clothed from top of head to tip of toe, and are not allowed out without the company of a male family member.
While you're impersonating the English, you must claim the necessity of the Union, and that Wales must continue as the third world portion of the United Kingdom. In addition you must disavow the very idea of a north south split.

Post 76

And a good working ignorance of the Cornish 'nation' is good (fun)too... "So.. Where IS that flag from? Is it eastern european or something?" After you have lit the blue touch tape in such a matter, a good speedy hike over the nearest Tor is adviseable... With GPS and a space blanket handy smiley - smiley

Post 77

DearCaro

What's Oz?
Also, can you please tell me how to sound English while speaking?
I'm not British (obviusly) nor American, though I do live in the us.

smiley - smiley

Post 78

Oz is Australia. Or a TV programme about a prison...

The best advice I could give on trying to sound english is watch and listen to lots of english people. You will have to pick an accent and try to stick with it though. Other than that, a voice/accent/ acting trainer could be a worthwhile investment if you want it enough.

It all depends how much it's worth to you though, not this much, I would suggest, your voice, language and accent are a part of who you are!

Post 79

Aurora

Oh aarrhh... they'll feel right at home in the Westcountry then, won't they? smiley - winkeye
And totally befuddled in Lillipool!!! smiley - magic

Key: Complain about this post