This is the Message Centre for Mu Beta

Why Does My Username Keep Changing

Post 1

Mu Beta

Sometime around the Big Sign On Change Debacle (Phase III), I posted to 606 using the pseudonym 'BB', as I am want to do. Have I missed one of the relevant threads somewhere, for my h2g2 username keeps reverting to BB every now and then. I assume it is connected with some cookie or something which is being activated when I visit certain pages within BBC Sport. 'Tint half annoying, though.

B(B)

Post 2

aka Bel - A87832164

Look at the announcements threads, it's to do with the BBCiD sign in which you'll have done to post on other messageboards.

Post 3

Baron Grim

Here's a quick helpful guide made by Vip.

A60420098

Post 4

Vip

I don't know if my guide helps this particulr problem though. Are you actively changing your name to BB via Preferences, or just signing off BB at the end of a post?

You name isn't over 30 characters long so you wouldn't have the 'clipping' problem.

smiley - fairy

Post 5

Mu Beta

Frankly, none of that is any help.

I'm changing my name FROM BB via Preferences. It goes back the other way automatically.

B

Post 6

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

You have more than one account within the BBC message boards. It looks like the 606 account is taking precedence, as some of the other boards were changed last week.

Post 7

Mu Beta

Good, good. And how do I rectify this without losing track of all my passwords?

B

Post 8

Have you tried registering as Mu Beta?

http://id.bbc.co.uk/users/register/

Post 9

Oh! You will need a different email addy from the 606 too smiley - ok

Post 10

Mu Beta

So if I want to use 606 and h2g2, I need two email addresses, is that right? smiley - erm

B

Post 11

Vip

If you want to keep the two names seperate, I would agree - once everyone is on the same system if you change your name in Preferences that will be the name displayed everywhere on the BBC.

If you don't mind having the same name on both boards I wouldn't worry - once h2g2 migrates to BBC iD it'll stop changing.

However, I would also wait until the Eds get back to you on Monday to see what they say. smiley - ok

smiley - fairy

Post 12

McKay The Disorganised

I have a second ID I use on 606, which also exsists on h2g2, and it keeps it seperate.

smiley - cider

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Mu Beta

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more