This is the Message Centre for Cal - interim high priest of the Church of the Holy Tail

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 1

Cal - interim high priest of the Church of the Holy Tail

Over this

"People who "attempt suicide" (i.e. do something stupid that doesn't kill them) generally fall into two categories: people who really did want to die, but weren't smart enough to think of a reliable method (e.g. people who jump from second storey windows and end up breaking their back/legs/whatever but surviving, people who slit their wrists and then telephone a friend/ambulance/Samaritans, people who take an overdose of a drug that will take days to kill them), and people who had no intention whatever of dying but simply couldn't think of any other way of getting another human being to pay them the kind of attention they want. The latter is commonly referred to as a "cry for help", and is a really deeply selfish act, far more so than a successful suicide is. Personally I'd like to live in a society where there IS capital punishment, but the only crime it's applied to is threatening or attempting suicide."

I had years of tourchure, from my mother, sometimes weekly, monthly sometimes just everynow and again, Now he is wrong about capitol pushiment (the person who's orginal post it is) but no-one thinks about how these "crys for help" effect other people, having your mother ring you day in and day out telling you she is topping herself and just how she is going to do it is not fun, Then having your father on the other end telling you not to call an ambluance and if she really wants to do it I should let her do it, is not fun at all!, and when she did it for real, no one knew a f**king thing, and you know why? Because that time she wasn't attention seeking!
cry for help my @rse!

I'm blazing about all these bl**dy people who haven't a clue because they have never been on the recieving end of it! God I'm pi$$ed off, "oh well depression this and depression that" Pull yourself to f**king gether! there is no excuse for that kind of behavoiur!
there is no excuse for emointionally blackmailing a person like that! and to be honest I think docs just dole out the "depression" card when they get sick of hyprocondiacs.

So bring it on do-gooders! Tell me how wrong I am, and how right my mother was to put me through all that cr@p! Because of course she had a right, she'd carried me for 9 months and put up with the pain of labour, so of course I got everything I deserved there!

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 2

Evangeline

My sister killed herself at the age of 34 without so much as a hint that she wasn't happy.

The worst bit about the way she did it, she could have stopped it right up until the very end.

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 3

Batty_ACE

Nobody has the right to use that kind of emotional blackmail to manipulate, darling. No matter who they are. Threatening suicide is just that - manipulating to get your way.

I've had friends who have killed themselves. They didn't threaten, they just did it. Even my sister tried, she didn't threaten anything but afterward she came running into my room because she realized she didn't want to die. I called an ambulance then my mum. It's selfish but not even remotely as selfish as someone who is manipulating to get what they want.

Suicide is, in and of itself, a very selfish act. Sometimes I feel so hurt by things that I'd like nothing better than to have not survived my cancer. But when I think of what it would do to my mum if she lost me I feel embarrassed smiley - blush for being so selfish.

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 4

smiley - cuddle's you both*

I have a friend who works very hard at getting through every day so I know the differance between something very real and somthing that is attention seeking, I am very proud of this person, and they are the strangest person I know. and I hope they are reading this smiley - smiley because I don't think they realise just how strong they are.

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 5

sorry smiley - blush typo they are the strongest person I know not the strangest smiley - blush

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 6

Evangeline

smiley - cuddle *whispers* Most of my friends are the strangest people I know. smiley - winkeye

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 7

Batty_ACE

strongest... strangest... both good qualities... smiley - winkeye

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 8

ahhh this person isn't strange at all, just very strong

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 9

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

smiley - cuddle

Having lived with someone with depression and having suffered with it myself (Not to the extent where suicide's been involved) I know the last thing you should say to anyone is "Snap out of it" or anything else like it. I've been following that Kerfuffle and for once in my life I've kept out, as most of you who know me know I have a big mouth and will say what I mean. There have been times during the reading of some of these post that I've been glad there is a screen in between me and h2g2, depression is never to be taken lightly.

You know how to get hold of me Cal <cuddle

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 10

Batty_ACE

*giggles* that is certainly a feat, Reef. I just learned of that thread and I probably wouldn't have been able to keep my big mouth shut.

I had been on antidepressants since just before the treatment for the cancer, though mostly to help me while they futz with all the mixes of HRT required to keep me sane AND keep the cancer at bay.. now that they've apparently found the magic mix I'm not on them anymore thank goodness but I can't imagine what it would be like to battle that for life. I literally felt nuts while they were fine tuning their concoction.

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 11

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Unfortunatly depression runs in my family, both my mum and my dad suffered with it, so things aren't looking good for Alex at the moment.

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 12

smiley - cuddle

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 13

Batty_ACE

That takes quite a bit of strength to deal with, Reef. smiley - cheers You certainly are a strong woman.

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 14

Evangeline

Hopefully, Alex won't have the same problem.

There are a few things that run in my family I could do without.

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 15

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Thanks, of course nothing's set in stone yet but at least if it does hit she's got at least 2 people who can honestly say they've been there

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 16

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

Sorry, one and all. Besides being frequently angered by the idiot that originally posted that, I have nothing to contribute.

smiley - erm

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 17

Batty_ACE

*blink, blink*

*goes back to making a pitcher of mojitos with a paxil sidecar*

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 18

Scandrea

I'm kind of in the middle of therapy myself.

Thought about it in high school... came close... never did it.

*Gives Cal a discreet smiley - cuddle*

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 19

Batty_ACE

I think therapy is probably a very good thing. Especially if the person(s) involved have no solid support system in place.

A bit of a kerfuffle

Post 20

There are two types of people with depression

There are people who in the most part have been told by a doctor (but not always) that they are depressed. These people get on with life and in the most part people don't usually know they are depressed, reef, Batty and Scan you are prime examples, I only know because you have posted so in this thread.

Then there are people who have all been told by a doctor that they are "depressed" they shout from every tree top to all who might be listening that they are "depressed" They blame every single nasty comment they make on the fact that they are "depressed" The behave in a completely rude and selfish manner and blame that on being "depressed" and basically use that "depression" as a means to say what they like, to who they like and when they like, without having to take responsibility for their actions. They also have the attitude that only they can do this, if any one else trys to use this excuse for being, rude, nasty or just being generally a pain in the @rse wode betide them.

Thats why I admire reef, at least she has the balls to say, "I can't get involved with such and such conversation because you know how I am. Yes it's your personally that makes you a certain way NOT your depression, and it really pi$$es me off when people use it as a nice little comfy pillow to fall back on.

Key: Complain about this post