A Conversation for Portsmouth

Portsmouth pubs

Post 21

Rojo Habe (48-1+2-7)

Nope. The club is still where I left it. Did you know BT used to own the cinema as well? I doubt they still do.

Portsmouth pubs

Post 22

Caveman, Evil Unix Sysadmin, betting shop operative, and SuDoku addict (Its an odd mix, but someone has to do it)

Apparently BT still own the freehold. The cinema ceased trading late last year and reopened as a Carlton cinema. Despite the somewhat lower charges, I've still not bothered to go in. (I always get sidetracked by the BT Club bar smiley - winkeye )

There is a door on the first floor that looks like it leads into the cinema, I think, but it's always locked (and usually blocked off by assorted stuff). I doubt it's been opened in years.

I don't work for BT, but I know a lot of people who do, which is how I got involved in the social club. I do, however, work in networking and telecoms when I'm not being a betting shop manager.

Portsmouth pubs

Post 23

Rojo Habe (48-1+2-7)

I think that door used to lead to a tiny little games room, with just about enough space for a pool table. It had a hatchway that opened into the back of the main bar so you could order your drinks without interrupting your game. The room was directly above the archway between the club and the cinema. Does that sound like it might be the door you're thinking of?

Portsmouth pubs

Post 24

Caveman, Evil Unix Sysadmin, betting shop operative, and SuDoku addict (Its an odd mix, but someone has to do it)

Nope, the pool room is as you describe. This door is at the end of the corridor which provides access to the gents loo on the first floor, and is on the cinema side of the archway.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Portsmouth

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more