A Conversation for Carbon60 - Buckminsterfullerene

Bucky Balls

Post 1

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

Is this what scientists refer to as 'Bucky Balls' after Buckminster Fuller?

Bucky Balls

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Yup. I just headed down here to mention that... smiley - ok

Bucky Balls

Post 3

Hmm... bit of a typo there... 'doing' in the second to last bullet point... and, hmm, shouldn't the entry be called Carbon-60? Although 'm not a chemist...

Nice entry smiley - smiley

Bucky Balls

Post 4

Sam

I don't know what that doing was doing there but it's not there now. Thanks for pointing this out. smiley - smiley

Bucky Balls

Post 5

No problem, always happy to nitpick smiley - smiley

Any thoughts on the entry name?

Bucky Balls

Post 6

Limey Tank

It should be Carbon60 as this is the closest to having the "60" in subscript. I'm not a chemist either, I'm a physicist (but that's no excuse smiley - smiley)

I'm not sure the title can be in GuideML as I recall a few problems before with things appearing as "Carbon60".

However it's not that important as it's unlikely to be confused with anything else.

How about an article on the IUPAC nomenclature rules? smiley - winkeye

Barry
(a man, not a toy)

Bucky Balls

Post 7

Ahh... Carbon-60 would mean Carbon with 60 things in the nucleus, wouldn't it?

So no good.

Bucky Balls

Post 8

Limey Tank

Nope, that would be 60Carbon, but that's nonsense in itself because you would never get a carbon atom with 60 nucleons (well you might, but it's highly improbable). Carbon generally has 12 nucleons and some really rare isotopes have 13 or 14......

I've never seen a hyphen used this way (Carbon-60)....but that's not to say it doesn't happen or isn't used.

Barry
(pedantic to the last smiley - smiley)

Bucky Balls

Post 9

Yus, I know you wouldn't get Carbon with 60 nucleons smiley - smiley

Hmm... pretty sure I've seen it used like that though... as in Uranium-235 or U-235... shrug.

Bucky Balls

Post 10

Limey Tank

You are probably right...... but I know plenty of people who would disagree....but then again again it only matters in specific fields. People tend to know what you are talking about when you mention C-60.

IMO a matter only needs clarification if it really needs it, if I were talking about nuclear reactions I would be more specific, but as this is about 60 C atoms (and carbon is famous for its ability to hook up to other carbon atoms) I did not think it needed more definition.

Anyway, it's all academic really smiley - smiley.

I've got a few more articles on the way in June, so please keep an eye out and spot the mistakes if you feel so inclined. This is the whole point of peer review after all, and all comments welcome.

Barry
(a man, not a toy)

Bucky Balls

Post 11

the other omylouse "multiply (1*6) by (6*1+0+3)!"

u cud jus call the entry Bucky Balls after this thred? (or Buckminsterfullerene) thereby sidestepping the -60 problem! smiley - smiley

omy smiley - cheerup

Bucky Balls

Post 12

Orcus

Has anyone noticed there's now a Buckyball smiley? smiley - biggrin

smiley - football

smiley - winkeye

Bucky Balls

Post 13

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

smiley - bigeyes

Bucky Balls

Post 14

the other omylouse "multiply (1*6) by (6*1+0+3)!"

smiley - musicalnote its coming home, its coming home, its coming! Buckys coming home...! smiley - musicalnote

smiley - biggrin

omy smiley - cheerup

Bucky Balls

Post 15

chemistrylife

no technically it is that carbon has 60 atoms. get your facts right. ask me anymore questions as chemistry is my life.

Key: Complain about this post