A Conversation for THE FLAT CAP AND MUFFLER SPORTS AND SOCIAL CLUB - Affiliated and Categorised

I have lived in Geordie land

Post 1

Reality Manipulator

I used to live in Ashington, Northumberland from 1965-1971 and from 1995-2000.smiley - smiley

I wonder if anyone has heard of the expression 'gob box' or something similar.smiley - smiley

kat

Post 2

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

Well that's far enough north for me lass smiley - cheers I can propose you for membership if you'd like?

Sorry, I've not come across that expression before, maybe some of our other members have.........? A free pint in the bar for those who have.

*smiley - run off before getting trampled in the rush*

Post 3

Reality Manipulator

smiley - cheerssmiley - taThanks Granny I would like to be proposed as a member.smiley - smiley

Kat

Post 4

Zak T Duck

Seconded smiley - smiley

Post 5

Metal Chicken

Welcome to our new member smiley - smiley

smiley - erm Are you asking that question to suggest to us that you're somewhat of a loquacious nature.... smiley - winkeye
(I could be wrong but I'm guessing gob box is a version of chatter box and if correct I claim my free smiley - cider at the bar please)

Post 6

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

When it's been confirmed MC, when it's been confirmed smiley - laugh BTW, does Roast live near you? & why hasn't she been proposed for membership?

Now I'll smiley - run over & add our new member smiley - cheers

Post 7

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

I've never heard of 'gob box'. Now 'gob sh*te' is a different matter!

turvy

BTW mine's a pint of vodka and vimto please Granny.smiley - oksmiley - cheers

Post 8

Number Six

Has anyone previously encountered the verb 'to banjo'?

I came across it the other day in a Rugby League sense, and I like it very much.

smiley - mod

Post 9

Reality Manipulator

smiley - cheersThank you Granny, Turvy and MC for welcoming me and accepting me.smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - ale

Kat

Post 10

Reality Manipulator

smiley - cheersThanks MC for your help.smiley - cider

Kat

Post 11

to banjo as in to clobber someone? I've always thought it could 've come from the Irish to banjax?

Post 12

Number Six

Indeed! It was suggested to me that it was the noise made when the blow was landed, as if the injured party had been clocked with a banjo. Needless to say, I like this very much smiley - biggrin

smiley - mod

Post 13

Metal Chicken

Granny, Roast certainly lives as oop North as we do so her credentials are good. She's only just survived single sign-on and hasn't been on much but I'll certainly propose her for membership...

(Still waiting for confirmation of that free smiley - cidersmiley - winkeye )

Post 14

Helen

Just what does membership entail? Will I need my own whippet?

Post 15

Optional chuck, purely optional smiley - smiley but new members are in the chair.....smiley - run to the bar

Post 16

BonnieParker...

Hiya smiley - smiley

I do live in Geordieland, not too sure whats this thread about ? smiley - rofl
just noticed the Geordieland bit smiley - biggrin Trish

Post 17

Bagpuss

This thread is about joining us northern researchers in a club thing. Want to?

Post 18

BonnieParker...

aye why not smiley - smiley

Im Trish btw from near Wallsend

Post 19

Hiya Bonnie, I see you've already met our barsteward Bagpuss! smiley - smiley

seconded for membership & smiley - run thee'll be on't page shortly smiley - cheers

Post 20

Bagpuss

Seconded? Oh, right, your counting me as having firsted the lass. Fair dos. Welcome to the club, Bonnie, or Trish, whichever you prefer.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more